Newbee from E. TX

mimike

I am a retired US soldier now living in E. TX.

I have modeled all my life and got more serious about it about 15 years ago when my youngest son left home.

I grew up with a kid whos father flew recon P-38's and B-25's in WWII. He (the father) along with another pilot, bought a P-38 (w/a second seat) in the early '50's and I got to go up in it when I was 8 years old, I have been hooked on aircraft of this era ever since.

I just joined a club in my area and, alon with sites like this one, hope to advance my modeling skills.

Welcome to the Forums here. We've got a great bunch of friendly modelers who'll help you with all you need. I envy you your childhood experience flying in a P-38. That is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience! Way to go!

Hello Michael and welcome aboard! The Duke is right. There are an ample number of us to help you. My specialty is aircraft, military or civil, from 1930 through 1955. Your P-38 experience beats my turn at the controls of a T-6 Texan a few years back! I grew up with test pilots , engineers, draftsmen and the like that my father worked with while at Chance Vought Aircraft from 1929 to 1971. So, aircraft remain a strong contagin! Best,

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333

Mike,

You are in a prime location for easy access (that is a relative term in Texas when dealing with distances) to shows in Louisiana, Ark, and Texas. If you check the Upcoming Events page on the IPMS Website and scroll down looking for shows in Louisiana, you'll see that the Region 6 Convention is in Covington. Also I recommend the shows in Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans. Then there are all the shows along the I-35 Corridor.....It'll keep you busy!

If you want a good swap meet and contest, there is one held by the Fort Worth Scale Modelers or some such coming up on Sept. 8th in Irving at the Bob Duncan Civic Center , Vandergriff Park, 2800 S. Center Street. Arlington Tx 817-465-6661

I'll be there.

Mike West/Lone Star Models