Updating Automotive Rules

DickC

The National Contest Automotive rules are in need of an update. I think a committee of interested car modelers is the best way to accomplish this. I would prefer to do this via an e-mail committee rather than on the Forum. So, if you would like to participate, send me an e-mail or a PM with your e-mail address. Don Schmitz compiled some ideas that we can use as a starting point.

I have directed the NCC to complete an update to the National Contest Rules and deliver the rules to the 2013 Convention Organizing Committee by December 1, 2012. To meet this schedule, we need to complete Automotive rule updates by September 30.

Dick Christ

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a car modeler, but I applaud you for taking action that by all appearances has been long overdue!

Mike

Ditto! This will at least make the statement that IPMS is trying to accommodate the automotive builders by using THEIR input to make some positive changes! Please keep us in the loop in the months to follow!

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 months later...

As an IPMS UK member I do not know the format of your IPMS USA contest rules for automotive subjects. If you are looking to revamp them it may be worth having a quick look at the IPMS UK format for our Scale Modelworld competition. We have a number of sub groups within our 'Civilian Vehicles' class, and these rules can be accessed via the IPMS UK website if any of you guys would like to check them out. There may be a few things that you might like the look of, and then maybe not. I know that Automotive modelling is bigger in the States than in the UK, so your rules may already be more comprehensive than ours. Good luck and hope this may be of help.

Edited by noelsmith

As an IPMS UK member I do not know the format of your IPMS USA contest rules for automotive subjects. If you are looking to revamp them it may be worth having a quick look at the IPMS UK format for our Scale Modelworld competition. We have a number of sub groups within our 'Civilian Vehicles' class, and these rules can be accessed via the IPMS UK website if any of you guys would like to check them out. There may be a few things that you might like the look of, and then maybe not. I know that Automotive modelling is bigger in the States than in the UK, so your rules may already be more comprehensive than ours. Good luck and hope this may be of help.

Please take this as a constructive critic. This is one of the problems we are trying to eliminate. Calling the catagory Civilian vehicles instead of automotive shows a lack of appreciation for Auto modelers. The catagory is Automotive, period. In theory Civilian vehicles covers commercial airliners, trains, ships, private aircraft, in short any form of transportation that is not in military colors. Call it what it is. Automotive.

Edited by PeteJ

Hey Pete! Don't shoot the messenger! As a car modeller myself I was only trying to be helpful!

IPMS UK does not seem to have upset anybody over here by using the title 'Civilian Vehicles' instead of 'Automotive',

so I guess we will have to agree to differ on that one. As for our title showing lack of appreciation for Auto Modellers, I cannot agree on that. All I can say is that if judging by the high standard and number of car, truck and motorcyle models shown at Scale Modelworld is anything to go by, shows anything but lack of appreciation.

I'm not a car modeler, but I applaud you for taking action that by all appearances has been long overdue!

Mike

I agree. The modeling world is changing rapidly and all head judges need to review the rules for their respective categories yearly to stay current with the times.

Hey Pete! Don't shoot the messenger! As a car modeller myself I was only trying to be helpful!

IPMS UK does not seem to have upset anybody over here by using the title 'Civilian Vehicles' instead of 'Automotive',

so I guess we will have to agree to differ on that one. As for our title showing lack of appreciation for Auto Modellers, I cannot agree on that. All I can say is that if judging by the high standard and number of car, truck and motorcyle models shown at Scale Modelworld is anything to go by, shows anything but lack of appreciation.

No thin skin here and no offence taken or intended on this side of the conversation. My point remains that "Civilian Vehicle" is not the proper term for the catagory. I say this because a Cessna 172 is a civilian vehicle. So is the Queen Elizabeth II and a Virgin Atlantic 747. Railroad Locomotives and horse carts would also would fall in this catagory. The catagory should be Automotive and Motorcycles not Civilian Vehicles.

No offence taken or intended here either Pete.

You are obviously very passionate about how the Automotive title is perceived, and I respect your views.

The intention and the main point of my original post was to merely make it known that all the IPMS Scale Model World rules are on the IPMS UK website, so that comparisons could be made if anyone in IPMSUSA wants to have a look. at them.

Now we have got that out of the way and made our respective points....PAX!

What sort of automotive subjects interest you?

Kind regards

Noel

Noel-

Your thoughts are apprecieted. I have a rather diverse group of interests. I build very slowly so I have to like what I build. My last major project was Tamiya's 935 with the SMS detail set.

Leftfrontquarter.jpg

I also like Le Mans cars. This one I did for the Tamiya advertisement.

TS020-Fullshotfromadphotoshoot.jpg

As a UK resident you might appreciate this dicast MGBGT that I redid to look like a customers car.

lowrightfront.jpg

And then some times I just get wierd and build something off the wall.

frontleft.jpg

surfit.jpg

Beautiful models Pete!

I tried to reciprocate by attaching a few of my jpegs for you to see but it kept kicking me out.

Kind regards Noel

• 5 weeks later...

December E-Board meeting report has 4 new auto categories added, any word on what they are. Were their any other changes to the Automotive Category.

tb

December E-Board meeting report has 4 new auto categories added, any word on what they are. Were their any other changes to the Automotive Category.

tb

Terry,

I was one of the folks who put the proposal together, but when we were done it went to the NCC and I heard there was some final tweaking that I don't have any details of, so I don't want to say anything specific. Mostly we proposed breaking up the more popular categories, using the categories from some of the big car-only shows as a guide. I'll ping the guy who took the proposal to the NCC and see if I can get him to comment here.

Don

Thanks for the info Don. I'm sure I, as well as others, appreciate the follow-up.

Hopefully when all the info is buttoned up, it will be shared...

As a wise man once said... Patience Grasshopper. :smiley2:

• 1 month later...

I just noticed that the updated auto categories are posted on the Colorado Nats web page: http://www.ipmsusa2013.com/index.cfm?mode=the_categories#auto

Don -

They look good, just like we planned but there is this caviat at the top of the page.

Please note:

The Contest Categories listed here are under review by the IPMS/USA National Contest Committee for the 2013 National Contest. Any changes approved by the NCC will be posted here by as soon as they are available. So for now, you can consider this listing of Categories as nearly complete, but still subject to possible changes.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, I guess that you are all looking forward to celebrating the IPMS USA 50th Anniversary at your convention this year. A number of your members made it 'across the pond' to our UK one in November last year, and I know that there are a number of UK members who will be at Hampton Roads this year, including Tony Horton our Competitions Secretary.

Tony has recently introduced some pragmatic changes to our UK Civilian Vehicles classes to reflect the increase in non plastic items both as kit parts and after market accessories in the automotive modelling arena. Any one interested in making comparisons with the USA rules can find them on the IPMS UK Website in the SMW Competition posts.

Peter Johnson has said in an earlier discussion with me in this column that we ought to rename our UK Civilian Vehicles category 'Automotive'. Actually, upon reflection I am inclined to agree, as it would be more accurately descriptive of the class, and recently I have passed on this suggestion to Tony.