Quality of an airbrush question

burner12

I attended a seminar at the Nationals on airbrushing, and learned to get better detail make the smallest line you can with your airbrush. Now i don't have the airbrush that I was using at the Nationals, which was an iwata airbrush. i have a Verda airbrush, and it only has 1 needle. I tried changing the pressure to 15psi as the instructor said, cause he uses that. I tried spraying at different distances. I aklways got the same effect it wasn't a small line, but rather an average size line. So i can't figure out why the airbrush I have doesn't do they same thing I was able to do at the seminar?

Edited by burner12

The size of a fine line is determined by the needle size and its cone. If you have a medium size needle, it cannot be tuned down as much as an airbrush with a fine needle.

You can change air pressure, but then you also then need to change your paint viscosity. Lower pressures, while giving better control for close in work, require thin paint.

GIL :smiley16:

No, in general needles are designed for a specific brand/model airbrush. Also, some airbrushes have "tips" (nozzles) that the needle fits inside that need to match.

A quick web search suggests your airbrush is a "Veda", which is Chinese made and according to some web pages a copy of some more well known brand. If you search the web/ebay you can find companies selling parts for the various Veda brushes, or you might be able to take it to a well stocked hobby shop and see if the needles/tips they have for a "name brand" brush are interchangeable.

Try to find a fine needle/nozzle specifically for the model Verda that you have. Even within a specific brand ( Iwata for example ) there are needles for each model in their line and for the most part none are interchangable. If you can't find a fine needle for your Verda, I'd look into investing in a name brand AB that offers optional needle sizes and easy parts availibility. Iwata, Badger, Pasche, Grex, H&S all offer several models with outstanding performance and service.

I thought that'd might be the case but didn't know. Currently I can't afford a new airbrush. But I'll definitely take mine to a hobby shop and see if they have an interchangeable one. IMO even if I can't make fine lines having good control with the airbrush still allows for good detail, just not as good as I had thought. I could be wrong