Another lame OOTB question

JayMesawitz

Im asking to clarify/confirm for a friend.

Is baremetal foil allowed in OOTB ?

To my thinking it is more like a decal and would be allowed but I can see it being taken the other direction being an aftermarket supply item.

Thanks,

Jay

A similar question came up at the Nationals concerning a car that had flocking on the seats. The answer from the current (previous?) head automotive judge was that it is still OOTB because flocking is a finish, like paint or decals. By extension, I would see Bare Metal Foil as a finish and would be allowed.

That is not a lame question anymore! The 1st place winner for OOTB ships has smoke coming out of the stacks! Now either I REALLY misunderstand OOTB or kits are including a LOT more stuff in them nowadays.

The definition clearly needs re-defining now that kits include everything but the kitchen sink!

The way I understand that the reason OOTB was created most surely is NOT being adheared to these days. OOTB stands for OUT OF THE BOX !!!

In my opinion - If a modeler has to ask if something's allowed - then it's probably not. Stick to what's in the box and make a nice model out of it. If you want to add anything else,(seatbelts,foil,flocking,antennas,etc) then enter a regular category. OOTB means OUT OF THE BOX. I think the way it is now - we should do away with OOTB categories only because of the way it's misused these days. I'm sure somebody's going to get their undies in a bunch over this but this only one modelers' opinion. Thanks for listening.