IPMS/USA Nationals 2014 will be at...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ron Many thanks for coming back to me with further information about the IPMS USA 2014 Nationals.

Kind regards

Noel Smith

• 7 months later...

Don't you mean August 7-10? The 7th is on a Weds.

Rusty, it looks like you are looking a year too early. The 7th is on a Wednesday this year. In 2014, the 6th is a Wednesday.

The 2014 National Convention web page (http://www.ipmsusa2014.com/) is up.

Lynn Ritger has provided us with a superb Convention page in keeping with our 50th Anniversary show. Lynn has thoughtfully and appropriately paid homage to the year 1964 with the style of the site, a link offering "a nostalgic look back at our hobby and our world fifty years ago", and other Links on this visually attractive and well organized site. Lynn has been an outstanding chapter web master for years and it really shows here.

Well Done Lynn. :smiley31: My congratulations and appreciation.

Edited by ralph4hand

Thanks much for your kind and gracious words, Ralph! Just to let everyone know, the basic structure of the site is up, and these first few weeks will be rife with updates... we've got all manner of detailed Convention information to add, in fact I'm working on the Lodging page at the moment to get the most current hotel information out there. For now, let me share one important contact point for all our prosepctive vendors: Mike Mattei is once again handling our vendor arrangements this year, and he can be reached at vendors@ipmsusa2014.com. If you want to reserve a table or six, please reach out to him and he'll gladly forward you a vendor package.

Thanks again Ralph- stay tuned everyone, it's gonna be one helluva fun ride to the 50th Anniversary Celebration here in Hampton! :)

Lynn

Jim, did you use the group code IPM? If not, reach out to them and have them use this code to reserve your room; that should lock you in at the negotiated rate of 134.00/night (before tax).

Lynn

I also just made reservations at Embassy Suites and it checked out at $144 per night. I called and talked to customer service and they said the negotiated rate is $144 not $134. Who's right and who's mistaken? We have plenty of time to fix this but I'm sure there will be many attempts at reservations over the next few days. I also made sure to use the group code.

Edited by bob

I am booked.

Gents

I'm the hotel coordinator for the 2014 convention. The Embassy suites negotiated $134 rate is based on double occupancy. There is a $10.00 charge for each additional person in the room up to four. Highest rate for the room then would be $154/night. Again this is for four people in the room. The previously discussed $144/night is correct for 3 people. Hope this clears things up for everyone.

Tom Jett

Are the convention rates good prior to the show?

Mike

From some of our committee discussions

' the contract states the hotel will honor the group rate “two days before group arrival date and two days after the group departure based on rate and space availability” '

But lodging@ipmsusa2014.com is the best person to ask if he doesn't respond to this thread again

Mike, if you did not have it at the time, call them back and ask them to apply group code "IPM" to your room reservation. For 1 or 2 people, the room rate of 134 should apply. For 3 people, it should be 144, and for 4 people, it should be 154.

Hopefully they'll be able to get you squared away.

Best regards,

Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

I also already booked a room and they said that rooms were going fast. I have a Tuesday arrival and they charged $169 for the Tuesday night. I have to have my wife call them to hopefully straighten it out.

Best

Pete

Revisiting the airport question but with a different take--why is it so expensive to fly into Norfolk? I just priced flights on Southwest and even though the rate charts don't go out to August 2014 yet, I checked the going rate in the beginning of 2014. From Portland, Oregon it is a $604 round trip. Just for the record I could not price Newport News because Southwest doesn't fly to Newport News.

Richmond is next closest but Southwest will stop flying to Richmond in March 2013 so that won't be an option. Now here is the kicker--I checked
Dulles and the price is only $337 round trip. A weekly rate for a rental car is about $200 (picking the car up away from the airport) so it is less expensive to fly to Washington DC and rent a car for the week.

Larry

Gents

I'm the hotel coordinator for the 2014 convention. The Embassy suites negotiated $134 rate is based on double occupancy. There is a $10.00 charge for each additional person in the room up to four. Highest rate for the room then would be $154/night. Again this is for four people in the room. The previously discussed $144/night is correct for 3 people. Hope this clears things up for everyone.

Tom Jett

Tom,

This past year in Loveland a block of some 24 rooms at the Embassy Suites became available due to late cancellations in the last week leading up to the convention. These rooms were made available but at the regular rate, not the convention rate. If rooms come available at the "last minute", will the hotel honor the convention rate in Hampton? Just asking : )

Mark

Mark, We haven't disussed that yet but the answer is likely to be no, however I will ask the question. Our cut off date to return any rooms not booked is 1 July 2014, however that is not likely as reservations at Embassy Suites have been very brisk thus far. If we should sell out of our block earlier than expected we may be able to negotiate additional rooms subject to availability at Embassy Suites. Don't forget we have several other very nice hotels within a short walk of the convention center at $129 or less. All the info and direct links tothe hotels is on the lodging page of the websire. Also remember anyone can reach me direct from our contact list on the website at this email: lodging@ipmsusa2014.com

Tom

All

The block of 250 rooms at the Embassy Suites is in fact fully booked. We are working to add a few more rooms subject to hotel availability. Please remember we have other first class properties ... most within a short walk or drive from the convention center. Parking at the convention center is free. An update to the lodging page will follow shortly.

Also I just learend there has been a delay loading our blocked rooms at both the Hilton Garden Inn and the Springhill Suites. These rooms should be open and available for reservation on/after Thursday 12 Sept. We continue to work diligently with Hotel Managers, but are at their mercy when it comes to how quickly they take action on their end. Stay tuned,and don't dispare we'll have plenty of rooms available. Thanks for you understanding.

Tom

Edited by tjett

• 3 weeks later...

Rusty, it looks like you are looking a year too early. The 7th is on a Wednesday this year. In 2014, the 6th is a Wednesday.

Yeah, caught that (duh). I have already purchased a vendor table and made reservations. HOWEVER, if you guys plan on staying in the Embassy, rooms are scarce. I couldn't find four room nights there, so after the reservationist tried to assign me to the (very nice lady) Hilton, settled for the Days Inn at a pretty good price. However, the Days in got me in Thurs and Friday at $69.00, but for Sat. I was charged $92.00, so be aware the weekends cost more.

This will be the first convention I have been able to attend for some time due to caring for an elderly mother in law. I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

Rusty

Please contact me using the following email"lodging@ipmsusa2014.com". You shopuld have been charges thge same rate for the enite stay. I will get this resolved but you need to contact me off board. Thanks

Tom Jett

IPMS Tidewater, Convention Lodging Coordinator

Yeah, caught that (duh). I have already purchased a vendor table and made reservations. HOWEVER, if you guys plan on staying in the Embassy, rooms are scarce. I couldn't find four room nights there, so after the reservationist tried to assign me to the (very nice lady) Hilton, settled for the Days Inn at a pretty good price. However, the Days in got me in Thurs and Friday at $69.00, but for Sat. I was charged $92.00, so be aware the weekends cost more.

This will be the first convention I have been able to attend for some time due to caring for an elderly mother in law. I'm REALLY looking forward to it.