IPMS/USA Nationals 2014 will be at...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hopefully, I'll have the $$$ to drive the 8-10 hours needed to get from Wellsville, N.Y. to Hampton Va. I think it would be neat as it will be the 50th anniversary of the IPMS. It will be my first if I can make it.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Where is the nearest International Airport for this event? It would be nice if some of us IPMS UK members could get across for your 50th in 2014..

We celebrate ours in 2013, so hopefully some of you IPMS USA guys might be able to make it across the pond in November next year to Scale Modelworld and help make it a double celebration. It would be great if some of you could make it.

Edited by noelsmith

Noel,

The closest international airport is Denver International and from what I understand, the hosts are working on arranging a shuttle to go up to Loveland.

As to SMW in 2013, I'm currently working with Richard Kent of IPMS/UK to arrange for a tour for international visitors, which would include Americans, Canadians and anyone else who pays their own way. We should have a good contingent on hand.

Thanks for the feedback Ron and John about the nearest international airport. It was 2014 info that I was looking for so I should have made it a bit clearer when asking for information on my original post.

Newport News/Williamsburg then Norfolk? Could you clarify? Would I fly into Newport News/Williamsburg from the UK and then have to take an internal flight to Norfolk? Or can I fly directly to either from the UK? How far are each of these airports from Hampton VA if I look to hire a car?

As to flights from the UK, you'd need to check individual airlines as to who flies where. You might even consider Richmond, VA or even the Washington D.C. airports if you're thinking of renting a car as they may have better/cheaper service. The convention would only be 2-3 hours, I believe, from D.C. by car but a "local" would be a better source for this info.

Ron makes a good point, combining car/plane travel where convenient.

I live in Jacksonville, FL, but often fly across country out of Orlando, FL.. I can do this because my parents live there, and it's only a 2hr drive. I can get many more flight options (including more non-stops) and better prices that way; even including the gas costs involved.

Flying in to Washington DC might be a better deal, especially if you plan to rent a car and do some extra sight seeing anyway.

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks for the feedback Ron and John about the nearest international airport. It was 2014 info that I was looking for so I should have made it a bit clearer when asking for information on my original post.

Newport News/Williamsburg then Norfolk? Could you clarify? Would I fly into Newport News/Williamsburg from the UK and then have to take an internal flight to Norfolk? Or can I fly directly to either from the UK? How far are each of these airports from Hampton VA if I look to hire a car?

For those that missed it, we are not going back to the Virginia Beach Convention Center but to the Hampton Roads Convention Center in Hampton, VA.

Newport News is closest to the convention.

The next closest would be Norfolk.

As pointed out, other "nearby" airports are Richmond and Washington DC, in that order or closeness.

Here is the website of the convention center: http://visithampton.com/hrcc/ From there one could cast about for distances and make preliminary plans considering available mode of transport and pricing as it exists now. I'm sure the host chapter will have plenty of that info available once the 2013 convention is over.

Thanks for the travel feedback Ron, Gil and John.

Washington DC looks to be worth considering for a visit, as besides the convention I would like to lose myself in the Smithsonian for a few days as well as do the touristy things like see the White House and the Capitol building.

Kind regards Noel Smith

Washington DC looks to be worth considering for a visit, as besides the convention I would like to lose myself in the Smithsonian for a few days as well as do the touristy things like see the White House and the Capitol building.

If you're visiting DC, make sure you leave time (like a whole day) for the Udvar-Hazy part of the Air & Space Museum. Its a big multi-hangar sized building near Dulles airport, quite a bit outside of the city.

Thanks for the further info Don.

Just out of curiosity, are IPMS members of overseas branches allowed to enter the competitions at the USA Convention, in a similar way to the IPMS UK Scale Modelworld? If so, do they have to pre enter their models at an earlier date to get an entry card posted out?

As long as you are a member of any National Branch of iPMS, your can enter the contest.

No, you can not enter your models in advance. However, you will be able to download the entry forms you need from the conventions web site, which will go live after the preceding show. With these filled out in advance, the actual registration process only takes a few minutes, depending on the number of models you have.

As you may be use to SMW and how things are done there, unlike SMW the IPMS/USA National Convention is not free to IPMS members. You will need to pay the registration fee. However, there is no extra charge to enter the contest and there is no limit on the number of models you can enter.

It should be a great show and if you combine it with some sight-seeing, could be a great trip for you and your family.

Thanks for the heads up on that Ron. As I read it, I take it that the registration fee is the entry fee for the convention.

I have never been to an IPMS USA convention and it is one of those things that I have wanted to do for ages! So the IPMS USA 50th anniversary in 2014 would be very apt for a visit.

Kind regards Noel Smith

Noel,

You'll find a cafeteria type list of things such as Convention Registration, Banquet Tickets, various tours, T-shirts and all sorts of what-not. Unless listed with a separate price all seminars, Convention Registration and the contest entry fee (with an unlimited number of entries) are covered by the one Convention Registration Fee. The "goodie bag", which contains a schedule, convention souvenir pin, convention decal and assorted catalogues and flyers, comes with Convention Registration. Tours, due to cost, are almost always extra as are T-shirts. A Banquet ticket gets you into the banquet, big surprise. However, the awards presentation, which immediately follows the banquet, is free, so you don't have to purchase a banquet ticket to attend that. However, seating may be limited (it depends on the venue) and a banquet ticket does at least guarantee you a seat.

Other differences are that we have a separate room for the contest and others for the venders. There will be upward of 2,000 models entered in the contest. IPMS/USA does not have the rich tradition of chapter displays that IPMS/UK does, however, so just about all the models to look at are in the contest room.

I hope you can make it and do some 'touring' as well. There is so much to see in that part of the country.

Edited by Ron Bell

• 3 weeks later...