Book on the Revell line of PT boat kits

TGarthConnelly

All,

Hello. I just wanted to tell you;

CHRIS DALEY PUBLISHING is now formating my text and photos into book form. It should be out soon. The book is similar to my book on the Italeri 1:35 PT-596 kit.

The modelers who assisted me on the Revell book are George Wojcicki, Malcolm Boast (from the UK), Ernie Webber and my dear friend, the late Alex Johnson.

Garth

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to let all of you know ...

The manuscript for the book on the line of kits of PT boats from Revell is now with the copy editor at CHRIS DALEY PUBLICATIONS.

I don't have a firm price yet, but it'll be under $30 USD and there is a good possibility that it'll be put into ebook format.

My book on the Italeri PT-596 kit will probably have its price lowered to match the Revell book, but that's not confirmed yet. Also, that book might be put into ebook format as well.

Garth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From my publisher yesterday ...

As I mentioned I have produced it using a less expensive color

printing method. The big advantage is being able to offer the book at

$19.95 vs. the $31.95 price of the previous book.

The downside is that the photo reproduction is not as good. I won't go

into details on what I'm seeing; I'd rather send you the proof and get

your comments. I'll send it out tomorrow to your Ellington address.

If the quality does not meet your approval then we have to return to

using the same printing method that the Italeri book used. The photo

reproduction will be better but the price per page is more than three

times as high. Because this book is 60+ pages longer than the Italeri

book in paperback the Revell book would have to be priced around

$42.95.

At the moment I'm thinking that a hybrid approach might be best.

Because all the work on the inside of the book is done it would be

relatively easy to offer a premium edition of the book printed using

the earlier process. I would issue this in hardcover instead of

paperback and retail it for $59.95, the same price as the Eaglewall

book I published. We would also release the $19.95 budget paperback at

the same time. This would give customers a choice. If they really

wanted top quality they could have it at a price. If not they can get

the inexpensive paperback edition.

I sent this email today, to my publisher - so, I'm guessing my Revell book will be out "soon" ....

Mr. Daley (and my fellow contributors)

The proof copy came today. I've looked through it. It doesn't look all that bad to me. But, by the same token, I think all of my books don't look that bad. That said, I still don't think it's all that bad. Meaning; I think "we" could go with the $19.95 a copy version, and that, in all honesty, will be my final recommendation to Mr. Daley.

I will look at it again later and again tomorrow as well, but the way I feel? I'd say go with it in the $19.95 version as that will help generate sales.

Garth

From my publisher a few hours ago:

Book is up for order on Amazon though they do not have cover art yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1621650057/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1621650057&linkCode=as2&tag=1250shipscom-20

They should have it "in stock" in a day or two.

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

I just wanted to tell all of you ...

From here on out, I will not be posting anything on any websites which you've seen me on over the years ... Those being:

steelnavy

modelshipwrights

modelwarships

There are a number of reasons as to why ... but, I will not state them here ... but, for the most part, they deal with the lack of respect I've been shown on those sites. I realize that the internet affords people a way to say things without anyone knowing who you really are and it allows you to say things that you probably would not say in a normal face-to-face social setting because it's just you, a keyboard and a monitor.

I also realize that, as an author, I should expect negative comments and the like.

However, THAT said: The comments leveled at me were of, for the most part, a purely personal nature and were aimed at me as well as my brother - who has NOTHING to do with my books. Criticizing me? Fine, and I accept that, but to make comments about my family? That goes beyond the pale. As does making false statements about me without having actual proof.

So, instead of unwittingly providing anyone with ammunition against me, I won't post anything ...

But, I will continue to have things posted on my website regarding my activities/books and I will put those things on my blog as well, but that will be the extent of it.

Thank you to you all.

Garth

• 4 months later...

Garth,

Is there any book out there that has the different configurations of Elco boats and their armaments? I know alot were field mods but a resource that points out some of these mods would be great is some one wanted to do a collection build with USN/Pacific, USN/Med and any foreign configurations.

Thanks,

~Sean

Sean,

Yes, there a number of books that could help you, sir.

Victor Chun's pictorials (any edition)

John Lambert's ALLIED COASTAL FORCES, Vol. II

My 1994 PT BOATS IN ACTION

Doyle's 2009 PT BOATS IN ACTION

My 2010 UNITED STATES PATROL TORPEDO BOATS IN WORLD WAR II

Doyle's ELCO EIGHTY-FOOT ELCO ON DECK

And, if you need any other information, you and anyone else are welcome to go to www.ptboatworld.com and click on CONTACT US. That's because I don't and will not be posting anything anywhere online anymore.

Garth

• 9 months later...

Hi All ...

My former publisher; CHRIS DALEY PUBLISHING was kind enough to revert the rights to the two books he published, my ITALERI PT and my REVELL PT kits books back to me when he went out-of-business. He was also kind enough to upload them to my CREATESPACE account.

I just got my copies from CREATESPACE today ... I am impressed with the outcome; the photos are of better quality.

Garth