Vintage Aircraft Photos - 1930's

TimHortman

Great pic Greg! The P-36 is overshadowed by its replacement, the P-40; but pilots swore that the P-36 flew like a stallion while the P-40 was a "dray horse" in comparison. I never did like those temporary war games/ race schemes in comparison to the NMF Hawks. Still, makes for some interesting markings! Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks for sharing, Tim! (and Greg too)

Here's a tip you may not know: when scanning prints, be sure to set your scanner to scan at a high ppi (pixels per inch) resolution than the norm of 200ppi. With a higher ppi you'll be able to make large, high-quality prints, if ever the need arises. Of course, you can always downsize them to work on the internet too. I'd suggest scanning at 1200 or 1600 ppi resolution, if you have the hard drive space to store them ('cause they'll be very big files). The larger file size will provide you (or your ancestors) with more image data which will mean more flexibility when retouching, etc. -- not sure you knew this but thought I'd share...

Nice scans!

Dennis

Thanks for the tip Dennis,

I've recently started scanning all my old family photos & am doing as 300dpi .jpg's

My main goal is to make a copy available in case anything happens to the originals (some are very old)

Someday when I have more time & can afford the storage space, I was thinking of doing them as 600dpi .tiff files.

Is the dpi the same as the ppi you were talking about?

The larger file size will provide you (or your ancestors) with more image data which will mean more flexibility when retouching, etc. -- not sure you knew this but thought I'd share...

Dennis, his "ancestors" probably are no longer around to enjoy them. His "descendants" however might. :smiley17: Picky, picky, ...

Ed

Yep, dpi and ppi are pretty much interchangeable terms.

600 ppi .tif files should do nicely! Extra points for not choosing the .jpg format!

dt

Thanks for the tip Dennis,

I've recently started scanning all my old family photos & am doing as 300dpi .jpg's

My main goal is to make a copy available in case anything happens to the originals (some are very old)

Someday when I have more time & can afford the storage space, I was thinking of doing them as 600dpi .tiff files.

Is the dpi the same as the ppi you were talking about?

Very, very cool pictures, Tim. Thanks so much for sharing. They do have that romantic feel that someone mentioned earlier. Kind of an intangible innocence/purity. Greg, I thought I had just about every picture available of the P-36C's at the National Air Races. Now, maybe I do :smiley20:

And Finally:

unk3.jpg

AANC12121a.jpg

AANC12121b.jpg

AANC12121c.jpg

Any Ideas on this one?? I can't find any info on who this may have been.

autograph.jpg

Nice photos Tim. Before I retired from the Aerospace industry eighteen years ago, a co-worker told me his father-in-law flew airliners, some of which are shown in these photos. Among the first cargo flights was a very poor itinerate musician trying to get to Minneapolis, MN. from St. Louis, MO. and had to borrow the aire fare from him (the pilot!). The flight was unscheduled and had to be authorized by his boss who reluctantly approved. Upon arriving at his destination, he needed to borrow another nickel to call his fellow musician who was already at the hotel to pick him up. His friend had enough money to repay the pilot and with great haste both managed to get a taxi back to the hotel. The year: 1936. For those of you old enough to remember some of the music played on TV during the 1950s his name was Lawrence Welk.

Happy Modeling,

Mark Fiedler alias aAzZ09

IPMS #14333

Nice story Mark - thanks for sharing!

I do have a few more images to post when I get the time to scan them... Too many other things going on...