Last Minute Builds?

Is it just my son and I, or is anyone else working up to the deadline to get their entries done? Travis is working on a 1/12 Tamiya Ferrari 312T4 and I'm trying to finish my 1/20 Tamiya P34 Six Wheeler. I'm sure they will both make it but we really are pushing the time limit!! Can't wait to get there. Hope everyone has a safe trip. Bob

Bob,

I hope it is just you! I have had my three entries complete and packed for at least two weeks now! Hope you make it!!!!

:Smile_sceptic:

Entries? Wha? There's a contest!? Where? When?

Hope your entries get there safe and sound, and am anticipating seeing some of the finest models in the world!

I'm hacking away on my 1/48 P-3, but I refuse to rush it, so odds are it'll be on the club display table in primer, and not on the contest table done.

However, there are "chores" to be one to prepare for the show......such as repair a couple of models and pepare some display bases for the ones I'm taking. Seems like just last week I had a whole month to go, and now it's only 2 weeks!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Mandie, you've got lots of time! Just pack a Travel Tool Box and work on that entry while enroute!

HaHa....I almost put my repair and build kit in my carry on! I can just see the TSA agents loving that!

Bob,

I was supposed to build a Tyrrell six-wheeler too, but I had to shelve it due to that annoying thing called work. I look forward to seeing yours at the Nats! Which version are you building? I was doing Depallier's #4 car from the 1977 Monaco GP. Up until I started this model, I had no idea how much race cars change during a season. It has been a very educational experience for me, and I hope to finish the model eventually.

But back on topic...

I am guilty of last-minute builds, as I've had to scramble for pretty much every Nats I have attended. For me, this is definitely NOT the way to do things, as it causes me extreme frustration and poor quality work. The last Nats I attended, I had to final assemble my model in the hotel room, and it took until Friday afternoon to get everything together. The stress sucked out all the fun, so I resolved to never do that again.

But true to form, I am scrambling to get something on the table next week. (An A.D. Police helicopter from the Japanese anime "Bubblegum Crisis". Crisis indeed.) I hope to finish it, as it was a project started around 20 years ago, and was hauled off the shelf of doom twice in failed attempts to get it to a contest. I slapped together a base last night, and still have some bits to work on for the helicopter.

Anyway, good luck to everyone working on their contest models. Remember, never give up, never surrender! (And not "Konya Wa Hurricane" - heaven forbid a hurrcane during the Nats!)

See you in Orlando!

Pretty much decided not to bring anything this year as will be doing the parks with the family and we will be at Universal on Saturday so would be hard to pick up my builds.

However, I am doing a Blitzbau (24 hr GB) probably on the 1st or 2nd and if it comes out decent, might bring it along. Also have a couple figures I might try and paint though that is something I am still practicing on but how many 25mm Worfs are you going to see?

Anyway, excited to find some time to meet friends, see some great models and take pictures of them for the site.

Well - so much for that idea. Travis has his Ferrari done but my six-wheeler bit the dust. I messed up a couple of things being in a hurry, so I shelved it for when I have more time. Maybe it will make it in time for Colorado. Good luck to everyone else.

I thought I could finish something from the Shelf of Shame. I picked out a 1/200 Hasegawa Boeing 737-200 in Aloha Airlines markings that I started at least ten years ago. After a quick glance, it seemed to only need decals, which I proceeded to cut from the sheet to remove the very excessive clear film around the color images. When I looked carefully at the model once more before applying the first decal, I discovered why I had stopped working on it years ago. I was using metal foil for the bare metal portions (this was before Alclad II existed) and stopped before I had done the underside of both wings. I must have run out of patience in the midst of the foiling process and put the kit aside for another day, er, year. So, I am back to completing the foil work before I start on the decals. I still do not know if I will be happy enough with the finished product to bring it to the Nationals (if I get it done, that is).

Ed

Join the crowd. I'm coming down to the wire on 3 builds. I'm betting that at most, one of them will make it, and it will likely be finished in my room sometime before the Friday deadline!

Mike

Still working on my entry! Actually, I'm still at work, but I'll get back to it this evening. Assuming I finish, you will know my model by the fresh, heavy Tamiya rattle can smell. The stuff is great though, for procrastinators like me. Just this morning, I managed to get three different colors onto the display stand I'm making.

Not even packed yet, both myself and the model, for the 4,747 mile journey. I wouldn't want to drive that distance, but the issue is moot, for my car would have to be amphibious to do so.

I wish all fellow procrastinators good luck, Godspeed, and see you in Orlando!

I finished mine weeks ago. Two weeks ago. I then have Nursemandie and Steve bringing them for me (to big for the plane boss) Your holding it in your lap all the way to FLA. right Mandie?

Rod

Ok...Epic Fail on my part. I was scrambling to get three done that I thought could be possible. Net result? None done. Oh well, I type this from my room at the Contemporary, looking forward to 2.5 days of pre-function fun before the convention fun starts!

Mike

All our models made it down here without a scratch. Hope the same for everyone else. See you on wednesday.

Got 15 models packed and ready to go! Only about 1/2 of them are for the contest. The rest are for display, in the contest room and in particular for our club table on Saturday. The P-3, which isn't even assembled, will be staying here.

GIL :smiley16: