New Display case?

burner12

Try Ikea, specifically the case found at this link. I'd also recommend buying the optional lighting fixture.

Richard,

I followed your link....while a nice piece of furniture that bottom shelf appears to be unusable for model display due to it's not being enclosed. Perhaps it could hold magazines or books.

My choice of case was determined by a number of factors. I build 1/48th aircraft and Sci-Fi / Real space more than anything else. I can fit aircraft like my Ju-88 and my He-111 within the case and have plenty of room around them. With some care and lots of trial and error I can get as many as 4 aircraft on a single shelf.

I also have some smaller shelves made of clear plastic sheet that allow another layer of models to be placed above those sitting on the glass shelf. I opted for these vertical cases because I can display some very tall rocket models in them as well. By removing shelf or two one can display even the Revell 1/96th Saturn V.

I can take some images showing those plastic shelves if you like....kinda busy today with IPMS biz and family stuff but let me know if you'd like to see a pic or two.

That's alright, but thanks for the offer Dick.

The only problem i'm having trouble with is the depth. With the aircraft models, phantoms, hornets, etc... then depth is more than 12". But haven't found one that is deeper than 12" at a good price.

Richard,

I don't know where you are, geographically, but if you're within driving distance of Columbus, O, I've got a refinished solid oak 6' display case you can have for $100. I re-finished it myself and installed all new glass shelves. Come and get it if you want it, or anyone else for that matter.

I was browsing around town and came across two of these book cases at a hospice store. They are the right size and shape, and great price for two $64.00, only good for today. So i took 'em.

Granted they don't have glass but they are a place to start, so instead of having my collection stashed throughout the house in boxes it can be in 1 place.

0723121504.jpg

post-1405-0-92298200-1343074319_thumb.jpg

Edited by burner12

Easy to build two frames the size of the openings and put plexiglas in them. A couple hinges and a latch and you've got a display case.

Don't use glass. Too heavy, and expensive as well.

Congrats on your find Richard!

The outrageous cost of shelving, cabinets, and curios that don't fully do the job is why I started building my own cases. Depending on the size, you can build a case that will give you the room you need, have adjustable shelving, and be fully enclosed for $200-$500. You'll be hard pressed to find anything else in that price range, and what you find probably won't entirely satisfy your space needs.

I would estimate that my latest case will cost me $600 by the time I buy all of the glass shelves. But, for that cost I get close to 70sqft of display space (on a 12sqft foot print). It also allowed me to design it at a size that would fit my largest needs, as well as giving me a lot of space for my regular builds. I consider the design simple enough for anyone who to build who can drive a screw and bang a nail into wood.

If you didn't see the build thread it's here: http://agapemodels.c...p?topic=11950.0 If you can't access it, you may need to go to Agapemodels.com and register (email addy) first.

Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Look around for a business thats closing, going out of business. Many stores will have counter units for displaying merchandise that make for excellent model cases. The shop owner will usually try to sell everything, including the fixtures, before closing the doors forever. I was in a shop just yesterday and bought a display case with sliding glass doors (3' x 3') for $49 cash. The shop had two 6' glass counter units for $65 each. In the current economy, there will likely be a store near you where display cases can be found.

Mark