1/48 Aircaft/Post 1930....what would you like to see?

I saw a question about what I wanted to see in 1/48th aircraft, post 1930...

My first thought was "B-47"

Any other ideas? Keep in mind its 1/48 and post '30s only.

Thanks Greg...I'm wondering....didn't Lindberg or Hawk produce one of those back in the day? I really can't remember.

No Sparrowhawk in 1/48 (though their are kits in 1/72 and 1/32). I did see a scratchbuilt one (from dental resin) back in the 80's, but the builder never sold copies. However, the GOOD news is that LoneStar models HAS announced he'll be doing the Sparrowhawk in 1/48 soon. Stop by his table at the Nats to talk to him about it! I know I will!

The problem with MY want list is that is that I already HAVE many of them (like that 1/48 B-47 ); in vacuform or resin :smiley20: ! SO, fine tuning the thread to mean INJECTION 1/48 kits post 1930, so that non-masochistic builders might want them too.... :P

1) F-86A and or E WITH early (non 6-3) slatted wing

2) FJ-3 Fury with wing-fold option

3) A GOOD (Monogram-ish) F9F-8 Cougar

4) SOC-3 Seagull floatplane

5) F6C-1/P-1 Hawk biplane (Army and Navy versions)

6) F2H-2 Banshee (Korean war version)

As I said, I already have all of the above built or in the stash, in vac, resin, or kit-bashed conversion; but I believe all of those are viable sellers to either the big guns (Monogram/Revell, Trumpeter, Eduard, Hasagawa, etc); or the limited run folks (Hobbyboss, Special Hobby, Czech Models, Classic Airframes, etc.).

As an aside, RUMOR was that the Banshee and the SOC Seagull were high on the Classic Airframes "list" before Jules put the company into hibernation. If he ever awakes the sleeping giant, who knows? Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

I dunno but Williams bros. has one in 1/32

Yep. That's what I'm thinking of.

Let's stay with injection....no vac stuff.

List thus far

Curtiss F-9C-2 Sparrowhawk

F-86A and or E WITH early (non 6-3) slatted wing

FJ-3 Fury with wing-fold option

A GOOD (Monogram-ish) F9F-8 Cougar

SOC-3 Seagull floatplane

F6C-1/P-1 Hawk biplane (Army and Navy versions)

F2H-2 Banshee (Korean war version)

B-47

Some additional items have been suggested

SOC-3 Seagull floatplane

B-47

Hu-16 Albatros

Fi-156

Short Sunderland

PBM-3 Mariner

B-45

P-3 Orion (which will happen as soon as Gil finishes his vac form monster)

F-86H.

P-2 Neptune

Gotta admit, most of my other "dream '48" kits are out there now...FJ-4, E-2C, C-2A, S-2F, T-28, T-6A/B

The list as it stands now....

SOC-3 Seagull floatplane

B-47

P-3 Orion

F-86H

P-2 Neptune

Hu-16 Albatros

Fi-156

Short Sunderland

PBM-3 Mariner

B-45

Constellation

C-54

AJ Savage

a second on the FJ-3 Fury and F2H-2 Banshee

X-2

XP-67

P-80A

Scimitar

Javelin

sooooo many others. Where do your stop?

Rick L.

Edited by Spruemeister

My choices, 1:48;

Ki-67

Ki-21

Il-4

Ki-57

G4M2

Stirling

C-54

C-46

Coronado

Halifax

Me-323

Sunderland

Basically 30 years worth of undone large aircrafts... Enough of fighter-sized stuff for a while already... Not likely to ever happen at any level of "significant" quality though...

Gaston

B-32

C-46

B-23

B-18

Short Stirling

TBU/TBY Seawolf

Curtiss A-18

There is one aircraft everybody has failed to mention, a plane used by every single air force pilot trained in the USAF from the late fifties until just recently....

The T-37 Tweety

This aircraft is the one the guy asking should suggest.

Yeah, I know there's dozens of planes I'd personally like to see more, but this is the missing link in major types with the widest market appeal.

What? The old Aurora T-37 ain't good enough for ya? :lol:

You'd think Monogram/Revell could do some extra tooling (NOT alter the A-37!) and put out a T-37, but they never have. They probably don't think trainers sell well enough. But, looking at the release of the T-38, T-28, T-34C, and recent T-6 Texan II; some may beg to differ. This sounds right up the alley for Kinetic, Roden, or some other limited run manufacturer.

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another Curtiss F11C-2/BFC-2 Hawk (Hawk II or III in foreign service). It's a P-6E except for the radial engine and strengthened landing gear and tailhook assembly for the U.S. Navy.

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333

• 6 months later...

Commentary & background:

Here is a round-up of what has (to my knowledge) already happened for these subjects:

In 1:48 scale:

• Curtiss F-9C-2 Sparrowhawk - der Kampfflieger (papermodel @ ecardmodels,com)
  • A GOOD (Monogram-ish) F9F-8 Cougar - as opposed to the FM kit?
  • SOC-3 Seagull floatplane - Wings48 (vac) (Don's Models)
  • F6C-1/P-1 Hawk biplane (Army and Navy versions) - Sierra Scale (vac-OOP)
  • F2H-2 Banshee (Korean war version); Collectaire (resin-OOP)
  • B-47 - Sanger (vac); Combat Models (if still in business...)
  • P-3C Orion - Tigger Models (vac)
  • F-86H - Collectaire (resin-OOP)
  • P2V Neptune - Combat Models (vac)
  • Hu-16 Albatros - RVHP (resin)
  • Fi-156 - Tamiya
  • Short Sunderland - AlphaFlight (resin-OOP); Combat Models (vac)
  • PBM-3 Mariner - Combat Models (vac); Pend Orielle (resin-OOP)
  • B-45 - Collectaire (resin-OOP)
  • C-54 - Execuform (basic vac)
  • AJ Savage - Collectaire (resin-OOP); Combat Models (vac)
  • X-2 - X-Plane aka FM (ltd-OOP)
  • XP-67 - Combat Models (vac)
  • Scimitar - Dynavector (vac-OOP)
  • Javelin - Dynavector (vac- OOP); Airways (vac-OOP)
  • Ki-67 - Sanger/Contrail (vac)
  • Ki-21 - Sanger/Contrail (vac)
  • Ki-57 - Sanger/Contrail (vac)
  • Halifax - Founderie Miniatures (FM) (ltd-OOP)
  • C-46 - Combat Models (vac)
  • Curtiss F11C-2/BFC-2 Hawk - Lindberg with conversion/update kit from Model Shack; Classic Airframes; der Kampfflieger (papermodel)

Possible with existing products as conversions (if someone made the conversion)

• T-37 - Monogram/Revell AT-37 reissue with conversion parts (new fuselage)?
  • P-80A - Monogram/Revell P-80C reissue with conversion parts?
  • FJ-3 Fury with wing-fold option - Grand Phoenix w/ AM wing fold

Not previously offered

• G4M2 - Tamiya kit is G4M1 version, M2 had laminar flow wings as well as engine change...
  • F-86A and or E WITH early (non 6-3) slatted wing (once offered as resin conversion by Cutting Edge)
  • B-32
  • B-23
  • B-18
  • Short Stirling
  • TBU/TBY Seawolf
  • Curtiss A-18
  • Me-323 (Gigant)
  • Il-4
  • Coronado
  • Constellation

Most of these subjects are obviously not seen as 'viable' by the main players (and a Seafang is?) since most have been only 'treated' by the limited run, cottage resin/vac folks - if at all. Personally, I think high quality 'multi-media' kitting of these would be the most feasible way to economically produce reasonable & affordable products. The idea of vac parts for the larger components with resin & metal detail parts ala Koster's standard would be an excellent way to address these subjects. Remember the Fw200? Koster's kit sold for $70 when released and was superior to the more expensive Trumpeter kit for accuracy and detailing - and included resin, white metal and PE detail parts plus at least two decal options, to boot. But then, Bill Koster was an engineer with a previous career in manufacturing and a lifetime of experience as a modeler before he started KAE, so the level of quality he achieved isn't really surprising. He did it by providing a balanced product that took advantage of tech suited to low-run production without sacrificing quality. The only drawback was the general adversion to vacuform parts within the hobby (a problem not shared by professional modelers, BTW.)

If the desire is for "Tamigawa Miniatures" grade injection-molded wonder kits that only require snipping parts and tossing on a little glue and paint, then don't expect to ever see these birds on your shelves. However, if the mature enthusiast can overcome his/her fear of removing parts from a plastic sheet to the point of providing a lively market, then it may just be possible to see a talented producer go to the trouble of making kits of these subjects. Knowing that production will be inversely proportional to the final model size and expense marches with production levels, it is a tricky, sticky wicket from the get-go. The only way, I believe, these will appear is through collaboration (ignoring the thin chance a rich guy will get involved, like with WingNut Wings.) So, start a 'lobby' or 'club' simply for the purpose of promoting production of a subject, collaborate on the research and market definition and then search for a partner to produce a kit. Whether this is injection or low-cost multi-media will be driven by the 'lobby's' findings. Otherwise, get scratchbuilding!

Here are a few more to consider:

1930's air racers (talk about variety!)

Unlimited racers

Real-space vehicles

Sport balloons (hot air)

Boeing Clipper

Regards,

Robert