Airfix 1/600 HMS Campbelltown

Ron Bell

I've become enamored of British destroyers of late, so I decided to try this old chestnut. It's a sixty year old kit and shows its age. I drilled out the portholes, added some detail to the guns, did my own funnels as the kit ones were "mushy", and made a searchlight tower out of generic brass grid. The railings and stairs were also generic. However, now I wish I hadn't used the kit prop guard as it looks like it should be 3 scale feet thick.

DSCN2429.jpg

DSCN2435.jpg

DSCN2433.jpg

DSCN2434.jpg

DSCN2430.jpg

Sorry, John. Just checked the kit box and there are two "L's". Maybe in later editions there were financial cuts and they couldn't afford the extra "L".

The water is a base of Acrylic Modeling Paste from the paint department in the Arts and Crafts aisle. It's meant to give "substance" to acrylic paints. I put that in first, push the ship into it and then shape the basic waves with a wet paint brush. When dry, I paint it the color desired, then a coat of Acrylic Gloss Medium from the same aisle seals it all up and allows me to make some more wave patterns. Then dry brush in the white and cover with two coats of future.

If you've got a waterline kit, a simpler way is to paint the base area under the ship the desired color then cover it with a coat of Acrylic Gloss Medium. Push the kit into that and then do your wave pattern. Finish as above.

I'll miss the CBK display. Hope we can get organized again, at least for the 50th anniversary show in '14.

Edited by Ron Bell

Sorry, John. Just checked the kit box and there are two "L's". Maybe in later editions there were financial cuts and they couldn't afford the extra "L".

The water is a base of Acrylic Modeling Paste from the paint department in the Arts and Crafts aisle. It's meant to give "substance" to acrylic paints. I put that in first, push the ship into it and then shape the basic waves with a wet paint brush. When dry, I paint it the color desired, then a coat of Acrylic Gloss Medium from the same aisle seals it all up and allows me to make some more wave patterns. Then dry brush in the white and cover with two coats of future.

If you've got a waterline kit, a simpler way is to paint the base area under the ship the desired color then cover it with a coat of Acrylic Gloss Medium. Push the kit into that and then do your wave pattern. Finish as above.

I'll miss the CBK display. Hope we can get organized again, at least for the 50th anniversary show in '14.

Interesting, can you put up a picture of the box -- not that I don't believe you, but it's an oddity (could be worth millions ???). Neither of my boxings have the dreaded LL ....

Thanks for the water info ... problem I have is there are no Arts & Crafts aisles around here, so I work with hardware store stuff ...

If I don't get to work soon, there will be two less pieces on the CBK display this year ....

Here's the box. Which of us do you figure has the collector's item?

If you'd like to give it a try, I can get a small container of the acrylic gel and send it off to you. A little goes a long way and it last forever.

DSCN2439.jpg

DSCN2440.jpg

Collector's item indeed. That is the U.S.-released Airfix box. Shortly after that, the U.S. boxes said CraftMaster on the box and on the instructions. I have one of those in the stash somewhere, but I don't know if they share the same speling glitch.

Rick

Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that Campbeltown in Scotland is spelled with one "L", while Campbelltown in Pennsylvania is spelled with two. If this is a purely American release, it's possible they went with the Yankee town's spelling instead of the Scottish one.

Yes, I was going to point out that is a US release & in the process of creating that fantasy box art scene, someone forgot to check history and spelling.

Here's the two Brit-boxart/catalog pictures I'm aware of. I don't have a single box with the picture in the upper right corner of the collection box, but think it does exist.

airfix600-campbelltown1.jpg