Paint Problems

tomk

I accidently sprayed Model Master lacquer over MM enamel on a plastic truck model. The paint rippled. How do I fix this?

Definitely strip & start over. Not you… the model!

Anyway you will want to stay away from the brake fluid. It works but it is MESSY! Oven cleaner is messy too but not as bad, you just can’t soak in it.

A day or two soak in 90% isopropyl is a less messy option, works on just about any paint and won’t harm the plastic no matter how long you let it sit. It’s cheap & easy to find too. Be sure to check the %. Standard rubbing alcohol is usually 70% and won’t do much. Castrol Super Clean or Westleys’ Bleach White are both strong automotive degreasers that are commonly used as stripping baths. I’d rate them somewhere between oven cleaner & alcohol mostly because the nasty container of gunk that is left behind after the plastic is back to original.

I have never used ELO so I can’t comment.

Don’t expect miracles regardless of what product you use. You will probably need to spend some time scrubbing whatever solution into the panel lines with an old toothbrush mid soak and maybe again at the end.

Good luck and show us some progress, man!

I’d like to see more Hot Auto Action on this site.

I've used oven cleaner with good results...wear rubber gloves (good ones), and be sure to work in a well-ventilated area, the fumes are rough...

I accidently sprayed Model Master lacquer over MM enamel on a plastic truck model. The paint rippled. How do I fix this?

Everyone has there favorite methods..........I like to soak the pieces to be stripped in castrol super clean avalible from auto parts stores. It will remove most paints without adversly affecting the plastic. This also works great for removing the chrome plating from parts.

Raisin

Which truck kit has suffered this disaster? Is it a pickup or a heavy commercial? I prefer to stick to the MM enamels for automotive subjects.

Ed

Thanks, to everyone for the information.

Ed,

The model is a TRUMPETER 1/25 American LaFrance Eagle Fire pumper.

tomk