Disney Vacation vs. Model Contest

How many of you are finding you are going on a Disney vacation rather than to an IPMS convention?

Most of my trips to Nats are solo, but since a trip to WDW is fairly rare, my whole family is coming along (literally, my entire family - if you ever wanted to wipe out the whole Heck clan, now is your chance). As we are all Disney park fans, this really changes the scope of the trip.

In fact I often have to remind myself why we are going. My wife has a spreadsheet with all days planned from sun up to sun down, and alternate plans as well. One day I suddenly remembered the initial cause of the trip and I had to ask her to make a slot for me to take photos for the Journal. Also, as this is my son's first trip to WDW, I'm not likely to want to miss out on seeing his first experiences in the parks.

Anyone else finding the focus of the trip has dramatically shifted?

John

We always make a road trip out of "convention trips". That's part of the fun. The convention is usually the last stop before heading home or it is the turn-around point. Orlando is a solo trip for me but I can see that I wish to spend some time in the Disney Universe as well as the IPMS Universe.

Not here! The wife has basically said she plans to sit poolside or room side or whatever and relax! Next year we do the "Road Trip" where she plans our every day from leaving WA to Arriving NATS and back again.

John,

I thought only my wife had a spreadsheet for the trip!! 2007 was much the same, with the nearby Disney park featuring heavily in all plans. In fact, for this year we are coming into Disney 4 days early so that we can do all the family stuff and I won't be missed by the time the convention starts.

Yes, the spreadsheet! Every move is mapped out. Even in the off season Walt Disney world is not a place to take it easy- it is a place to be conquered. I pity the attendee that will attempt to brave the parks without some amount of research. Anything less than copy of the 2012 Unofficial Guide under one arm and "Lines" on the iPhone will surely end in tears. And just try to get a reservation to eat anywhere at this late date.

We will be there for the entire 11 day window of the discounted rooms. It's not every trip you can stay at the Contemporary for so little.

We're arriving 3 days early just to have fun at Disney.After that it's half and half with the convention. Probably days with IPMS and evenings with Walt. Can't wait !!! A bunch of us from IPMS Livonia are going to be there. We're planning an evening or two getting together for dinner and such. See you all there.

Nope.....but of course Disney World is a long day-trip for me, or an easy saunter from my mom and dad's house in Orlando just about anytime I want to go! In fact, as close as this was, I figured the wife would be coming along, but her work and school is conflicting, so it'll be a typical solo trip to the IPMS Nats for me! However, I am allowing the kids and grandkids to use my Thursday evening reservation so THEY can do Disney and stay there overnight too. I'll either crash with my buddy Jerry or go back to mom and dad's for one more night. Looking forward to seeing y'all there!

GIL :smiley16:

Ah - the ever useful spreadsheet. :smiley13:

Each year I map out my personal schedule using an Excel spreadsheet. It has each day by half hour in a simple 3-fold one page (Tues - Sun) 3 days each side, pocket size schedule with space for friend's cell #s, must-see Vendors, etc.

Anyone wanting my Excel template is welcomed - e-mail me directly at; ralf7@verizon.net

See You in Orlando, have a SAFE TRIP, and TAKE CARE,

Ralph

Well, my wife are arriving on Monday and plan to go to Epcot and Universal studio on Tuesday and Wed. The rest of the convention will depend on what we feel like doing.

Eric

A few tips for you WDW first timers.

Number one do not plan on doing to much to fast. Chances are you will not have time to enjoy anything in a hurry.

Number two plan a day of rest, my family tried to hit three parks in three days, ended up the worst trip EVER! We were ready to kill each other by mid way through the 2nd day.

Number three make dinner plans early, plenty of shows around town to see with a meal, or choose a theme show and dinner on site.

Number four get ready for a HOT time in the sun, expect long lines on rides, best to hit very early or very late to get through the best rides or shows.

Number five be ready for afternoon rain showers.

Number six have fun and enjoy.

Number seven everything will cost you and I mean expensive, be ready to spend spend spend or have a backup plan for meals outside the park.

I have been there so many times, (lived just down the road from there) from the early days when it was first built to a couple of years ago. It has grown in size and price but worth it if you have never been. Hope all of you enjoy your trip, be safe and enjoy the park and city.

Edited by sumterIII

If I may add an additional rule number one - arrive early. The most productive time at the parks will be a couple hours after opening. Arrive before the gates open and have a plan on where you want to go and what you want to see. Do not just follow the crowd or wonder around looking doe what you want to do. The touring plans in the back of the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World are worth the price of the book. Follow them to the letter and you will be streets ahead.

Hey Gil, I've got an idea to save on food costs. I'm gonna bring a small cooler with some chip chopped ham and a loaf of bread. Sound familiar?

Use the Fast Pass option to avoid lllloooonnnngggggeeeeerrrrrrrr waits in the lines at rides.

If you can avoid hauling a backpack or kiddie items into the park then your wait in the security lines is diminished considerably.

Have fun and don't forget that there are vendors at the convention site who desperately need your dollars!

(This is going to be great fun!)

Due to an odd series of events, we have ended up with a complete family vacation at DW scheduled for 8 days in September.

As my role in September is to be the family wallet with no access to a vendor room, I am doing exactly opposite during the convention.

Ron

I don't think you can carry food or drink inside the park, at least the last time I went you could not. Mickey likes money, feed the mouse or he gets mad :smiley29:

Might want to check with the Orlando guys to make sure.

While I think you cannot carry food and drink inside the park, into your hotel room may be another story! After all, if they're getting the price of the hotel room, it offsets the food money those who are merely visiting the park (without a hotel stay).

Since I can drive onto the property with a cooler in the car, I may do the same. Besides, how else can I be sure to have a six pack available?

GIL :smiley16:

We've got everything planned, Nats during the day and Disney at night. Disney has been wonderful when asked about what we would need for our son who is special needs. As far as food goes, if you ask, Disney will put a microwave in your room at no charge. Of course, we've had help planning our trip as my older brothers and sisters are all professionals when it comes to going to WDW.

• 1 month later...

Now, it's after the Convention (and it was a great time) thats exactly how I felt. I usually add a few days and make the Nats a family vacation, since the committees plan for a place that has things to do nearby, when not looking at models.

But this time there was *SO* many other MOUSE things to do and see - for me - the Con became an after thought. i think I saw the model room 2 or 3X and the vendor room 2X