Any Ideas???????

Mark Aldrich

I have an old Monogram Avenger TBF that I picked up at a thrift shop well over a decade ago. I built one a long time ago as a kid; if I was to guess, at least 35 years ago. I thought it was neat with the folding wings, dropping torpedo, little turret in the back. It was $1 and the box was beat up with the price in magic marker written on the lid. The decals were all cracked and unusable. I remember when Revell-Monogram reissued the kit in the 1990s, I contacted them by phone and had them send me replacement decals. That decal sheet is dated 1999, so I've had the kit several years longer than that.

The box has a copyright date of 1973, so I imagine that was when I first/last built this kit. The instruction sheet has a copyright date of 1958, probably the original release of the kit.

It's quite a dinosaur, well surpassed by Accurate Miniatures Avengers. I bought one of those when it first came out, but one look inside the box and I figured it was beyond my aircraft building skill level to do the kit any justice.

Yessir....its a classic! The Box Art Archive within the gallery has an image of the box art...check it out at http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/box_art_album/Manufacturers/MNOP/Monogram+Box+Art/Aircraft+-+Military+1903-1945/TBF_Monogram_PA31_149_48th.jpg.html

That is the kit, my box art is a photo of the completed model in a 3 tone dark blue/medium blue/gray scheme. I doubt I'll be able to handle that pattern convincingly though.

That's a fun build!

I'm thinking about some Sci Fi stuff, and most likely it will be a restoration of a very old model that I acquired as part of an estate sale. Not sure yet, which one it will be, but we'll see.

My 7 yr old has already claimed the torpedo of my Avenger and can't wait to play with it and drop the bomb. I'm going to end up doing a quick, slap together job on this kit and look for another. I know I have one of those old Hawk P-51 Mustangs (one of the chrome ones), but I really don't want to deal with the chrome plating. I believe I have a few other ancient Monogram fighters, but I'll have too look for it.

I'm stuck between two choices now....I have an Aurora Brequet that I got thru an estate sale. It is assembled and decaled but was not painted and no attempt was made to assemble it with any care. This is an original release as evidence by a photo of the builder with this item, and the photo was dated. I like restoring such items, and it matches the guidelines for our project.

I also have several spacecraft of that same vintage and source, and they are all crying out for restoration. Tough choice.