Any Ideas???????

Mark Aldrich

Looked over the last few group builds and I seem to be the only one doing them! Anybody got an idea for another one?????

How about "Speed".....anything that competes thru speed... not just Maverick's Need for Speed .... any 'ol jet would do, but actually participates in some form of competition through "speed". And it doesn't necessarily have to be fast by today's standards. The air races of the 30s would fit, boat races would fit. Any "auto racing" would fit, even figures would fit to some degree....Armor would...er...ah.....well.....hmmmm

Dick,

You could put a couple J-79s on a tank!! B)

How about "Speed".....anything that competes thru speed... not just Maverick's Need for Speed .... any 'ol jet would do, but actually participates in some form of competition through "speed". And it doesn't necessarily have to be fast by today's standards. The air races of the 30s would fit, boat races would fit. Any "auto racing" would fit, even figures would fit to some degree....Armor would...er...ah.....well.....hmmmm

Hey,

I just finished a P-40! So I can do airplanes (not well) but I can build them!!!!

The forum doesn't appear active enough to support group builds. The regulars are fairly diverse with no one modeling genre dominating all others. Group builds are best when they target a larger population of modelers since only about 1 in 10 join and about 1 in 20 finish.

We're in the middle of the summer and any model related category (armor, cars, ships, aircraft, etc.) has posts on the first page of the forum that go back to when there was snow on the ground.

Now if you started a group build with a theme regarding bickering, there would probably be a lot of interest.

Rob,

I have a Bicker Max by Trumpeter! Oh, wait....that's not right.

Actually, I've been working on the canopy of a 48th Fw-190A-3 for most of the day. I've got the frame painted....just a few minutes ago. And earlier today I finished putting the instrument faces (Aires) on the control panel. Yesterday I got the seat harnesses attached.

It may not be part of a group build but its fun!

What do you have going? If its an airplane then you, me, and Mark can call it a "group"! If not, then I'm still interested in what's on the workbench.

And now, back to the '190.....

I am messing with some old, built kits from my college days. I was looking for something and inside one of my moving boxes was a junk box full of kits I built around 1983-86. My 7 yr old claimed many of the old kits, several have been broken by his playing already. I was adding some other partially built kits into that same box (but ones started by some of my older sons) when I decided to pull a 1:144th Revell Sea Shadow kit that looked like I could complete.

Here is a sample of what I found inside. I will probably restore the Maximillian kit from the movie The Black Hole (red robot) after I give up on messing with the Sea Shadow.

7464155006_3549d348f3_c.jpg

I can share a pic or two of similar builds...something from long ago that I rebuilt or refurbished. In fact, my avatar to the left of this post is one such kit. It is the Revell "Space Station". I bought it in 1963 from the gift shop at the top of the Seattle Space Needle. After many moves it sat in a storage box for years. Some years back I decided to restore it. Unfortunately a great many of the parts were damaged or missing so I spent considerable time making castings to replace those parts or figuring how to scratchbuilt missing items. The fully restored project now resides in a custom built display case in the War Room.

I could go with a simple and basic....Plane group build, tank group build. car group build, truck group build. figure group build, ship group build!

How about a rebuild, restore or recycle group build? The only thing the kit has to be is something that was once built or started, restored (new paint job, fixed broken off pieces) or recycled (making that old jet plane into some sort of sci-fi fighter).

In one of my clubs we have a catagorie called American Gold. And what that entails is any American made model company from 1983 or older. For example Strombecker,Aurora, Adams ,Revell, Monogram. Renwal, Lindburg,Hawk,Ect.... You get the idea. We build OOB. You would be surprised how some of the kits come close to contest standards. As an aside these kits most of this age won't see the light of day in most contests.So it is kind of neat to see at a contest 20-30 old kits. That might be something for you to consider.

Ronbo :Smile_sceptic:

I made several attempts to push for just such a group build over on another site that has pretty good participation in GBs. It has always been met with mostly yawns. Everybody is interested in what new stuff is being released THIS week, and has it been reviewed yet.

I still like the idea. Change of pace, or whatever. We all have old kits in the pile and they aren't as involved to build them as more recent subjects. Off the top of my head I can think of a Renwal Nike missile, a Hawk Travel Air Mystery ship, a Revell 1/426 USS Arizona, an Ertl 1/25 John Deere 4440 tractor, and dozens of other such kits hiding in my pile. Almost all of them have back stories that bring back memories. I would bet I can even do a better job of building them now than I did way back when. Well, I would hope I could. No guarantees.

Rick L.

I made several attempts to push for just such a group build over on another site that has pretty good participation in GBs. It has always been met with mostly yawns. Everybody is interested in what new stuff is being released THIS week, and has it been reviewed yet.

I still like the idea. Change of pace, or whatever. We all have old kits in the pile and they aren't as involved to build them as more recent subjects. Off the top of my head I can think of a Renwal Nike missile, a Hawk Travel Air Mystery ship, a Revell 1/426 USS Arizona, an Ertl 1/25 John Deere 4440 tractor, and dozens of other such kits hiding in my pile. Almost all of them have back stories that bring back memories. I would bet I can even do a better job of building them now than I did way back when. Well, I would hope I could. No guarantees.

Rick L.

I'm in! Great idea!

I recently completed five such restorations from the 1950s. I posted some photos elsewhere on the Forum, but it does not appear that many have looked at them from the counter numbers. I can add them back again in a better thread.

Ed

So we have a few GB ideas kicking around:

1. Change of pace; build something not your normal genre (have to use the honor system here)
  2. Build something old, of vintage US pre-1980s make

So if you combine the two, you get a group build of something old (US made) that isn't your normal subject. For instance, I rarely do ships or planes so I'd grab an old Monogram 1/48 scale prop driven something or other to participate?

If we're looking for consensus...that works for me. Something old and out of one's usual comfort zone....perhaps if more chime in then Mark A can "call the ball" and we'll get rolling, floating, flying, sailing, or zipping through outer space.

Why does the TreadHead have to "Call the Ball"??? There have been several chimers in this thread so far.

It's your thread, Mr. Tracks...

I'm good with Robin's idea.... will that work for the folks who are tuning in?

Actually I can go both ways on this one!

1. Pre 1980s vintage (or actually re-release....ie Old hawk to italeri, old Max peerless to Italeri type deal)

2. Outside your comfort zone.

Regarding the second theme, we used in our chapter the more graphic "It Ain't My Type" label for a great in-house contest. Yes, the honor system would have to apply here as we don't know the building preferences of most of our DF contributors (some we know very well). Feel free to use this title.

Ed

It's either or.......OR we can do a GB "It Ain't my type and/or Dude it's the 80s"! I say we do it like I have always done it! Now until end of December.

Well, I'd be willing to participate in a "Build something before the 80's" Group Build, since just about everything is in my comfort zone so to speak. I have a couple models that actually fit the bill. So, is this on?

Since we seem to have arrived at a consensus, and since Robin has graciously stepped up and dropped the green flag (NASCAR talk....) How about this?

The nature of the models (as described by Robin, with the usual liberties taken by participants)

to begin: Now

to end August 31st

Yes? No?