Weathering Wood

mjbare

Hey Gang, Could use your help. I'm working on a "wooden" roadside shrine made of resin. How do I weather it so it looks like it's been out in the elements of Jamaica or another Caribbean island?

Thanks, Michael

Most of the really heavily weathered wood I've seen (like driftwood) is actually grayish looking. I think you could go that route, with washes of dark gray and black, and highlighting with light gray or white and get an old, weathered statue or shrine. Anyway, just a thought....best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Most of the really heavily weathered wood I've seen (like driftwood) is actually grayish looking. I think you could go that route, with washes of dark gray and black, and highlighting with light gray or white and get an old, weathered statue or shrine. Anyway, just a thought....best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

I agree with Gil. Start with a medium gray. If you want a little wood color to show (for slightly less weathered wood) you can either do a thin wash of dark brown or you can drybrush with a light tan; however most of the colors you will use will be grays, dark, medium and light and maybe some white for highlights.

As a possible alternative, many of such shrines are whitewashed white. Start with white, then "distress" it like a furniture refinisher with drybrushings and washes of various greys. Remember, do it until you think you need just a little more, then stop before you do that, because its probably too much.