The Duke's Aircraft Of 2009 Updated 2-18-09

Mark Deliduka

I haven't been feeling well these past couple of weeks so I haven't done much progress yet on any of the models I started this year. However, since I've been feeling a little better lately, I've slowly made some progress on some of my models.

First off I got the RF 4 Phantom that I'm doing for the LEM Forums "From Axis to Allies" Group Build finally sanded, canopy installed and all clear parts masked, and ready for the first coat of paint:

WIP%20RF-4%20Phantom%20VII.JPG

Now the instructions say this bird was done up in overall white, but the boxart shows a light grey. I gotta check real pics of this bird to be sure before I paint it. I wasn't too keen on painting a white aircraft, but we'll see. I'll go check so real photos first before going any further.

Meanwhile, moving right along, I got some more sanding done on my F-100, so I'll be shooting a new coat of Alclad on it later today. Not enough progress to shoot pics, so I'll just post the pics I have of the other Sabre I'm also working on.

This is the Sabre Dog, which now has it's canopy on and all other parts before she gets her first coat of paint.

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20VI.JPG

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20VII.JPG

Well, that's all I got for now. I'm gonna go take some more meds now and come back later.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome. Also, feel free to check out my post in the Armor Forums showing my latest progress on some of my 1/72 scale armor.

Suggestions:

If you use enamels, then I recommend Model Master Gloss White, thinned with lacquer thinner. Thin it to the consistency of milk. It's a bright white, goes on well, and dries overnight.

If you want a flat white, get the Tamiya rattle can of Fine White Primer. It goes on as smooth as baby powder and dries hard in 30mins or less! Best of luck!

Either of those whites should cover well over the silver/gray plastic of your kits. If you're going to paint some other darker colors and then apply the white, spray on a coat of Floquil old silver (or any other silver) first and the white will cover that more easily. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil, thanks for the suggestions. I had a Kustom Kolors rattle can of 'base white' that I used on the F-4, but it may have been too old or something. My coat of white cracked all over badly, so I'm in the process of stripping it now to re-shoot.

Meanwhile, I have three other planes ready for decals.

I got that RF-4 coated in oven cleaner to strip it down. I'll check on it later today.

Meanwhile, I also got a lot more progress done on my other three planes. If this is an indicator of how I feel, then I'm getting real healthy real fast!

First off, I'll show my three planes I have ready for decals:

My 1/72 scale F-100:

WIP%20F100%20VII.JPG

WIP%20F100%20VIII.JPG

My 1/72 scale Su-7:

WIP%20Sukhoi%20Su7%20IV.JPG

WIP%20Sukhoi%20Su7%20V.JPG

My 1/72 scale F-86D Sabre Dog:

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20VIII.JPG

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20IX.JPG

Now, I have a question. These are all coated in Alclad. It's the first time I've ever used Alclad. So, before I apply the decals, do I clearcoat these first? Or will the decals stick to the Alclad? Thanks for any help.

Also, thanks for looking and all comments are welcome. Feel free to stop into the Armor forum as well to see my latest progress on my 1/72 scale Armor.

There should be no need to gloss coat the Alclad. ALmost any nmf is smooth enough to decal directly over, and Alclad seems to do better than others when it comes to showing less carrier film. Cheers!

Thats been my experience with it too. I've got to get going, all this progress making me want to hit the model bench.

Thanks guys. I'll get right on these then. Pretty soon I'l have another three models finished.

Dreamsof51, go for it!! You want to see more progress, I have it showing in the Armor Forum too. Haven't been getting much in the way of comments there though but that's cool. It seems these aircraft Forums are more busy than the Armor ones anyway.

Okay, now everyone go build something!!

Well, not much progress to show yet, but at least I can show you my Sabre Dog that is ready for decals. I did start an ancient MPC kit of the Ju-52, but haven't got enough progress on it to justify pics. Anyway, here is the Sabre Dog ready for decals:

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20XI.JPG

WIP%20Dog%20Sabre%20XII.JPG

Stay tuned everyone and remember, comments are welcome.

Interesting difference in color in the red in the two shots of the Dog. One is "orangy" the other more red. If it were real, it could spice some debate as to which is the correct color by the "paint police" at some contests. Just goes to show that photos aren't very good references for colors.

Oh, and nice build, Mike.

Thanks Ron. The top photo is actually a more accurate appearance of the model. You're right though. Sometimes photos are not very good for reference/ Thanks for postin Ron. and thanks for the compliment on my work. Oh, and I'm Mark. :smiley20: :D ;)

Good stuff - likewise inspired!

I assume these are all in "the one true scale" of 1/72. Who's kit of the Su-7 is that?

Thanks Von!

Yes, these are all in "the one true scale: of 1/72. That is all I build (unless I'm building for someone else) The Su-7 came from an obscure company called 'Flugzeug Modelkasten'. This is the only kit of theirs I've ever seen and I haven't seen this company except in model shows where old collections are sold.

Decals are on the F-86D so more pics are forthcoming. Thanks again for the great comment!

Put in a lot of time this weekend. Finished 1/700 Baltimore heavy cruiser and a Fiat G91. Painted a 1/48 scale Fairley Firefly. Need to photograph and post them. All in all a very productive weekend. Thanks for the inspiration.

You are very welcome. I got a little done this weekend, but I'd been so busy that I could only finish one. Oh well, I'll get more finished this evening I'm sure. Pics forthcoming. Thanks for posting.

Rainy days sure are great for model building! Today was another one and so I got some more progress done on a few of the projects I'm working on.

I wanted to try and clearcoat my three Shermans I'm building to prepare for decals but they needed another coat of OD to fill some weak areas and missed spots. Hopefully tomorrow.

So, I went to work on the rest of my projects, trying to get some of them closer to completion. I also felt the siren call of another model which I decided to start as well.

Well the new one I started was the Italeri F-5B Freedom Fighter in 1/72 scale. It is a replacement of the one that was stolen out of the display case at USC's Air Force ROTC building along with my F-117 Stealth Fighter, a helicopter and my B-2 Stealth bomber.

I started by assembling the cockpit which will be painted and decaled later:

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20I.JPG

Then, since the rear fuselage and wings were so easy to assemble, I completed them:

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20II.JPG

Once the cockpit is complete, all I have to do is close it into the forward fuselage and then put the two together. After that it's real simple to add the landing gear and gear doors, and any ordinance I want and she'll be ready for paint.

Moving along, I also got some more progress completed on my Ju-52. All the wheels, engines and propellers are on it now. All that is left are the canopy and the final fiddly bits. Then she'll be painted:

WIP%20Ju%2052%20V.JPG

WIP%20Ju%2052%20VI.JPG

And that's it for my aircraft.....so far. Feel free to check out my progress on my armor in the Armor Forums.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Well, if they thought the stuff was worth stealing, I guess that's a tribute of sorts. Pretty crappy that they were lifted from the ROTC det.

Nice F-5 'pit!

Well, despite all the running around I've done today, I still managed to get some progress on the last few models I've been working on

Two of these are at the decal stage. Tomorrow, if I can, I'll clearcoat these two and decal them.

One of these models ready for decals is my M-113 which is shown in the Armor Forum. My other model that is ready for decals is my Ju-52. Here she is:

WIP%20Ju%2052%20IX.JPG

WIP%20Ju%2052%20X.JPG

Now for my progress on my F-5B.

This one has finally got the decals in the cockpit, making it look a bit better:

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20III.JPG

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20IV.JPG

They even included seatbelts! :smiley14::smiley20:

Now I have the cockpit fully enclosed in the forward fuselage, and then I attached the forward fuselage to the rear fuselage. All I have to do is clean up the seams and she's ready for her coat of silver:

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20V.JPG

Well, that is all I have for now. The next pics of the M-113 and the Ju-52 will be finished pics in their respective Forums. That should be on Friday if all goes well.

Thanks all for looking and comments are welcome!

Well, after finishing the M-113, I started to concentrate on getting my F-5B further along. After a couple of tries, I finally managed to get the silver coat on it smooth enough for my tastes.

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20VI.JPG

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20VII.JPG

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20VIII.JPG

My apologies for the slightly blurry pics. My camera apparently has a hard time focusing on such shiny stuff.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

A quick update here for those still following this Thread. I got some more progress done on my F-5B Freedom Fighter. The decals are now on her and her landing gear are installed. I plan on letting it dry overnight and then applying a clearcoat and then finishing up adding all the fiddly detail parts. Hopefully I'll have this ready for the Friday night meeting.

Anyway, here she is sporting her decals:

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20IX.JPG

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20X.JPG

WIP%20F5B%20Freedom%20Fighter%20XI.JPG

That's all for now; I'd been pretty busy today so not much bench time.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Nice scheme! I love that "retro" Korean war look.

Yeah, ain't it great?! :smiley20::smiley16: Did you notice the two kill markings too? That surprised me.

Now check out my newest Thread: this one is finished!