IDF Priest missing 105mm gun????

Mark Aldrich

OK eagle eyes!!!! That means anyone that can make an assement of this picture! After posting this picture I got to looking at it a little more and realized I cannot see the barrel on the centered Priest! Can anyone??

priest.jpg

Mark,

I cannot see a gun either. I'm woundering if this vehicle has had the gun removed and is now a ammo carrier or a personnel carrier? I know that this did happen to some vehicles.

Chris

My thoughts exactly and unfortunately, if I build one (two) the personnel/ammunition carrier will probably be a "could have been" build.

I agree, no gun. But why whiff it? You have photographic proof.

Phil,

Over on IDF modeling I posted it and the consensus is that there is a barrel attached. we'll see!

Phil,

Over on IDF modeling I posted it and the consensus is that there is a barrel attached. we'll see!

Mark,

I have to disagree with the consensus that there is a barrel. From the angle of the photo you most surely will see a barrel sticking out in it. I'm still convinced that there is no barrel.

Chris

I completely agree and as I am now banned on the IDF Modeling Forum, I can only watch what happens there! But trust me I will be watching!

I completely agree and as I am now banned on the IDF Modeling Forum, I can only watch what happens there! But trust me I will be watching!

Ok, now that sounds like there is a story there.

There is! Let's just say that myself, the Forum Administrator and a moderator that actually controls ALL that goes on in the forum had a disagreement and I lost!

I gotta go with the naysayers. I think that there is a barrel. The vehicle is being directed to turn to the right, which would tend to obscure the barrel, but I do think you can still see the end of it. Plus it appears that the rest of the gun is still in place. Is there a higher resolution copy available?

OK eagle eyes!!!! That means anyone that can make an assement of this picture! After posting this picture I got to looking at it a little more and realized I cannot see the barrel on the centered Priest! Can anyone??

Mark,

I'm one of those guys that can never find the ketchup in a crowded refrigerator, so take this with a grain a of salt...

The first time I looked I agreed with you - no barrel. Jim's observation that this photo is not straight on (although it looks like it is) got me to look a second time. When I zoomed in big-time, I see what might be a barrel - it is lined up exactly with the bottom of the truck way off in the distance and might just be the dirt under the truck - except there seems to be something blocking a bit of the wheel too. If you account for the Priest being turned a bit away from the camera, the blur at the bottom of the truck seems to be about the right length and place for the barrel.

Don

Jim & Don,

I took a good hard look and still come up with NO barrel. Yes the vehicle is being directed to the right,but the side profile is still almost strieght on to the side. The barrel sticks out way beyond the drive sprocket which would make me believe that you most likely would see a barrel if there was one for this angle. I would love to see another view or better photo, but I still say no barrel.My two cents.

Chris

OK..here is another angled Priest. Notice where the barrel sits. Just as a reference to the above photo. I do not have a better scan of the original picture.

m7angle.jpg

I am including a couple of pics I just snapped of the old Italeri Priest I built back in the eighties. The first is straight on and the second I tried to match the angle of the picture above.

P70210462.jpg

P70210452.jpg

Urp! I know so little about armor that I just discovered I have been looking for the gun at the wrong end of the vehicle...thanks to the two photos above from Jim. I did not see a gun barrel there either. :(

Ed

Urp! I know so little about armor that I just discovered I have been looking for the gun at the wrong end of the vehicle...thanks to the two photos above from Jim. I did not see a gun barrel there either. :(

Ed

:smiley29: :m1helmet: Now that is funny!!

Jim,

One BIG problem with your picture! Your priest has the Spare track holder which blocks a sizeable amount from the barrel. Which again makes me believe that there is none! Not saying it is a Kangaroo. But I am thinking it is a Priest sans gun. I was really hoping that someone maybe had another shot of this assembly area from another angle. IDF pictures are so hard to come by!

FWIW, I don't believe that Priest has a gun installed.

I agree. No gun. If you compare the gunned versions at the left, they clearly stick out enough that, even if they're slewed as far as possible to the right, you'd still see enough of the barrel in the photo. I ran your original through photoshop and looked for any signs of a gun shield but the image wasn't large enough to provide that sort of detail.

Dennis,

I only have thumbsPlus8 put used 5 different filtering options. As each picture pixelated, it looked missing. Part of it was to see if it WAS a Kangaroo or a M7 missing gun and shield or just gun! The search will continue! Where there was one picture, there has got to be another (I hope)!

I thought that the barrel was of the stubby variety but it might be that what I'm seeing is the spare track holder.

It seems that both opinions (yes, its there....no it isn't) have supporter.... now prove that it has a motor!