Interior photos needed

Eric

Checked the web but have had no luck. Looking for interior photos of a "65 Shelby GT-350R. I need the race version with all the interior removed. I took some photos back in the '90's at a classic car race but can't locate them. Looking for some idea what I need to make a stripped out interior look like and where the roll bar mounted.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

Have you tried Google image search? Some people think it just shows the images on the web pages a regular Google search would return, but it actually does a much better job. I just typed in "gt350r interior" and got a few decent pix, including a couple of a build of the Monogram kit.

Another good source is a book in the "Motorbooks Muscle Car Color History" series called just "Shelby Mustang" by Tim Corcoran. Its available from Amazon at a not too ridiculous price. I've got this book and can try to scan a picture or two if you don't find it anywhere else.

I'm guessing you're starting with the Monogram GT350R kit - it has a lot of parts you'd have a hard time scratchbuilding (the back window and front air dam in particular). As far as the interior, the things I remember are:

• the big sculpted "crash pad" on the dash was removed; the dash was flat on top (just like a Falcon dash).
  • block out plate for the heater and radio.
  • glove box door removed.
  • instrument cluster was replaced with a flat plate with 6 gauges (2 big ones in the center, 2 smaller ones on each end).
  • the upholstered door panels were replaced with textured aluminum panels, with no window winders.
  • the pivot-out front vent windows (and their bulky chrome frames) were replaced with a fixed plexiglass window and a simple aluminum frame - the side windows were plexiglass with pull up straps.
  • the roll bar was a simple hoop behind the front seats with two diagonals from the top-bar to the floor where the back seat should have been. Today, GT350s running in vintage races have full cages. I think the Monogram kits gets this right.
  • The stock front seats were removed and replaced with a single racing seat for the driver; IIRC there was a mounting-bracket/brace of some kind visible where the passenger seat should have been.
  • Other details: the battery was in the trunk, so you should remove the molded battery under the hood of the Monogram kit, and the body work where the rear bumper should be needs some tweaking to hide a seam and better match the real thing.

I think that was about it...

Hope you get further with yours than I did!

Don

Edited by Schmitz

Don,

Actually it's a 1/43 kit of a GT-350R. Only problem is it has a stock mustang interior, so I've got to cut away the resin and phony up the race interior.

Eric

Don,

Actually it's a 1/43 kit of a GT-350R. Only problem is it has a stock mustang interior, so I've got to cut away the resin and phony up the race interior.

Eric

At that scale you probably don't have to do a lot.

On the monogram kit I just used a sanding stick to remove the big crash-pads from the dash; I sanded through in places that required some filler but if you have a solid resin part to start with you probably don't have to worry about that.

The instrument panel is just a flat plate that replaced the stock speedo-cluster; cut one one out of thin styrene, paint semi-gloss black and add gauge decals before you glue it on.

The rollbar is about as basic as it gets and pretty small diameter; for 1/43 I think I'd make it out of 1/16 brass rod and solder on the diagonal braces before gluing it into the model (make all the pieces a little extra long, solder together, then trim to fit).

If there are any details on the inner door panels just sand them smooth.

I doubt you'd notice much else.

Good luck!

Don