20mm Flak38 Sd.Ah.51by Tristar in 35th finished

Dick Montgomery

This Tristar kit is simple enough to complete in a weekend and yet with sufficient detail to produce a very nice model. In the hands of a talented builder it can be a truely spectacular model. My effort was limited to a simple coat of paint and some weathering with some pigment and a lead pencil.

I'm going to continue to pick out some additional detail...for example, I'll do some chipping along the edges of various surfaces, weather up the control wheels a bit, and work on the sighting mechanism.

20mmFlak38SdAh51Tristar01035thfront.jpg

20mmFlak38SdAh51Tristar01035thback.jpg

Thanks guys. I've actually added a black wash to help the decals jump out at the viewer and also hit some edges with a silver artist pencil. Subtle changes achieved but it now looks 100% better. The changes don't really show up in photos but to the unaided eye it makes a big difference. In any case....its a fun build and its nice eye-candy in the display case.

Looks Great! Thanks for sharing

-Steven

No sir. Never built the Tamiya kit. The Tristar kit has an amazing number of small detail parts....handles, cranks, support rods, and those adjusting wheels that the crew spin (don't know what they're called). The surface detail is excellent and there is very little in the way of clean-up that is required as one assembles the model.

Not being an armor guy and having zero knowledge of the actual gear, I experienced a little trouble figuring out how the parts fit together, but got it right as the project moved forward.

I can't compare the Tamiya and Tristar kits head to head though....