Me-321 Gigant Finished

Dick Montgomery

I've been interested in building a model of the Gigant for a long time but it was never high on my list of things to do. About a month ago I was looking at having 6 to 8 hours of time in a quiet environment, without electronic distractions, so I threw together a simple tool box and hauled this kit out and got a good start on the assembly process.

I wouldn't call the project a lot of fun but it was gratifying to be able to check this one off the list.

It's big. For those who have built a B-29 in 1/48th scale, you are fully aware of the difficulties involved in handling something with the wingspan this thing has, plus the Gigant is fragile!

Anyway....I feel something "armor" related coming on next.....

This is the Testors/Italeri kit....by the way.

Me321B1TestorsItaleri86572ndRightRear.jpg

Me321B1TestorsItaleri86572ndRightRear2.jpg

Me321B1TestorsItaleri86572ndLeftRear.jpg

Me321B1TestorsItaleri86572ndLeftFront.jpg

Hardest part of the build? Getting the rims and tires painted...

Man, that thing looks like you could launch it as a REAL toy glider, Dick!  Congrats on completing this build.  It would also appear that in reality, something that big does not receive much benefit from a splinter camouflage would it?

cheers,

Mike Quan

I agree Mike. Why bother spending all that time trying to camo something this big! If there were a competition for the least useful aircraft that ever became operational this aircraft would certainly be a nominee. Anyway.... I was asked why I built the glider instead of the powered version and I said that I didn't want to paint the engines and props! And besides, this thing is fragile enough as it is without adding all those prop blades!

• 1 month later...

Thanks! A decent photographer knows how to hide the flaws....It's a big model when done. It is now on display in a local hobby shop, consuming their valuable display space rather than mine!

I think the wingspan is about 30 inches or so...

Not quite as big as those 1/48th B-29s I build...but its close.

• 5 weeks later...

My father-in-law told me about when he was a kid in 43-44 eastern europe and he watched the engined Gigants come and go from a grass strip near my wifes little home town. He said on several occasions they would walk up and watch the Germans load and unload these machines. He remembered seeing things like Kettenkrads, horses and artillery pieces going outbound, and casualties coming back. Nice work Dick.

Cheers

Adam