Eagle Quest

PeteJ

Can anyone give a candid detailed description of the event from an attendees viewpoint? I actually considered attending this year, but it's a long trip to travel without having an idea of the value. Would you say it is worth traveling to from Seattle are considering expense of airfair, admission cost, meals and lodging?

David -

This was my first time and there were some surpises. First is the entry fee. It seemed a little high at first glance but what you get for the fee is a meet and greet the first night with a catered buffet and an open bar. Second night was the awards banquet also with a buffet and open bar. Both done up first class. The rooms in the hotel are all susidised by Squadron and are very nice. It is a four star Embassy Suites so you could accomidate up to three people in a room if you wanted to make it less per person but the room is very nice. It even has a table for putting your models back togeather or doing the last minute touch ups.

The second suprise was all the contest is done exclusively buy vote of the modelers in three rounds. Round one every modeler has a ballot and picks their top three in every catagory. This deturmines the gold, silver, and bronze awards. Then the top picks in each sub-catagory go head to head in the 9 major catagories. Again by vote of the modelers. This gets the catagory picks. Then the third round is all the catagory picks go head to head for the Best of show. The voting reminded me a bit if those cake decorating shows you see on TV. Each time you have to pick up your model and move it to another table. Kind of nerve racking to do in a room full of people. Incidently, the best of show award is a 40 pound brass sculpture of an eagle.

I won't comment on the quality of the seminars, as that might seem a little self serving, but I will say they were well attended.

If you need models or parts shopping the Squadron warehouse at 40% off was really a great opportunity.

There is also plenty to do within a couple of miles. Some great eating such and the Hard 8 BBQ is really classic Texas BBQ . Very much a local hangout. If you are into sporting goods, there is a very large Bass Pro Shop attached to the hotel.

I have it on the list for next year depending on the date.

Edited by PeteJ

• 3 weeks later...

MMD Squadron is a strong supporter of IPMS/USA and they deliver high quality products to the modeling community. They'll be at the upcoming Orlando convention as a vendor. Please go by and express your appreciation for their effort.