What I would love

Eric

1/24 Shelby Daytona Coupe

I know that someone did one in late '80's and there is a resin kit but those are beyond what I want to spend.

Eric

Scale Motorsport has a very nice curbside version but they are sold out. Gunze also made both a standard and high tech kit of the Daytona. Both can be found on EBY from time to time at about $100.

I do believe it was a company called MPC. They did cars and trucks as I recall. I think there is one in my stash.

I do believe it was a company called MPC. They did cars and trucks as I recall. I think there is one in my stash.

CIC dug it out of my stash in garage. Sorry it's 1:16 scale but may be the best you'll get - if you can find it.

CIC dug it out of my stash in garage. Sorry it's 1:16 scale but may be the best you'll get - if you can find it.

David, the 1/16 MPC/AMT kit is a garden variety 427 Cobra; the original request was for a kit of a Cobra Daytona.

The Daytona was an early Cobra with custom bodywork developed for racing at LeMans. The difference in body work is well beyond simple scratch building. You can see an image here: https://encrypted-tb...YxwEoOZ9nnL_9Pe Gunze did one long ago in 1/24 that is rare as hen's teeth, and there have been a few cottage industry kits.

BTW, the MPC kit is a pretty nice kit and has been reissued fairly regularly over the years - I'm sure you can find one on ebay or at vendor tables if you look a bit.

Don

Edited by Schmitz

David, the 1/16 MPC/AMT kit is a garden variety 427 Cobra; the original request was for a kit of a Cobra Daytona.

The Daytona was an early Cobra with custom bodywork developed for racing at LeMans. The difference in body work is well beyond simple scratch building. You can see an image here: https://encrypted-tb...YxwEoOZ9nnL_9Pe Gunze did one long ago in 1/24 that is rare as hen's teeth, and there have been a few cottage industry kits.

BTW, the MPC kit is a pretty nice kit and has been reissued fairly regularly over the years - I'm sure you can find one on ebay or at vendor tables if you look a bit.

Don

Well, it is a car, it has 4-wheels and says Cobra. After that they all look alike to me! :smiley29:

I do appreciate your educating me on the difference. Both are pretty cool. I saw a bio on Carrol Shelby on one of the satelite channels around the time that he passed away. Really interesting. A true American entrepenuer and car designer. Bio said the car blew the doors off anything in Europe and left the Corvettes in the dust on this side of the pond. I rarely build cars, but have kept this one out and am going to give it a shot. Any hints on realistic colors for engine, interior and such? I think the chrome parts are really fakey looking and may make them over with Alclad II chrome.

Thanks again. Also thanks to Eric for piqueing my interest in a change from my current frustrations with the wingy things.l

Check the Hobbylink.com website. You will find a bunch of Cobra's including the Daytona. I was poking around there for stuff and came across it. 1/24, too!

By the way, they say they are in-stock, and I also notice that you will need to get a second or third mortgage!

Edited by TheWalrus