Jump to content

Hs-123


Dick Montgomery
 Share

Recommended Posts

This kit has been lying around on the storage shelves for some years. I decided to scratch several itches and one time..... I was interested in a multi-wing aircraft, something in 1/48th, and something from the Luftwaffe.

 

The kit leaves something to be desired in regard to "fit" but it wasn't the worst I've seen, and it did give me some practice with aligning the wings on a multi-wing aircraft. Anyway... I'm pleasantly surprised with the result, especially that 4 color splinter scheme which took a considerable amount of time to apply.

 

As almost all of my projects are, this one is OOB. This project has been very successful. I've taken a mediocre model and ended with a decent item to put in the display case. I've had the opportunity to work on some techniques and skills and to enjoy some "serious" time at the workbench.... doesn't get much better than that!

 

Hs123A1Italeri263248thright.jpg

 

Hs123A1Italeri263248thrightfront.jpg

 

Hs123A1Italeri263248thleftrear.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This one came out of an Italeri box....6 of one, 1/2 doz etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If memory serves, there is only one tool kicking around for the 1/48 scale Hs123, the ESCI mold. AMTech used it, as did Italeri. The plastic is the same no matter which box; AMTech did add some resin bits to their first release of the kit.

 

Still a great kit, by the way--I built one back in 1984, and don't remember it having too many vices. The rocker blisters on the cowl were a bit of a challenge, but other wise, it is the easiest biplane I had built at the time.

 

Nice model, Dick.

 

Ralph

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Ralph! I appreciate the compliment.

The rocker arm covers were probably the most challenging aspect of the model. Rather than a single piece cowl (wouldn't be able to bet the engine inside of the cowl if the cowl were one piece) or two pieces (right and left side), Italeri (or whomever) decided to mold it front and back, with the seam running across the rocker arm covers at a right angle.

Some Tamiya putty and a circular file, and about an hour, took care of that seam....but it wasn't much fun.

 

The upper wing needed a little help getting the proper bend in it. The fuselage support braces didn't make contact with the under surface of the upper wing so some gentle pressure was required to achieve contact. One there, super glue was applied and a vise held it in place until everything set up and dried.

 

In any case, the Hs has taken up residence in the display case that holds my Battle of Britain items.

 

I'm currently staying with the Luftwaffe theme although I've abandoned 1/48th and moved to 1/72nd. I am well done the road on an Me-321..... huge airplane!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Pawel! At least on this model I didn't get the national insignia backwards, like I did on that RWD-8 that you helped me correct! Perhaps I should build something British!

 

Next up is an Me-321. The RWD-8 is a small model but the Me-321 makes up for that ..... anyway...it's great fun to spend some time shooting paint, applying decals, and watching a project reach completion....should be finished in about a week if all continues to go well!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks James! I've got some other late '30s/early '40s items that are close at hand. I've done enough 109's and 190's for awhile...and I plan on doing more again. The end product gets better each time, but the Hs-123 is a great change of pace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...