Prometheus film

I enjoyed the film a lot. But I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to sic-fi. My 15 year old son went with me and he liked it too. The audience was definitely split in it's reactions

Listening to the reaction of most of the folks that panned the movie it really seems they were expecting another Alien flick along the lines of the others. This one was quite different. Enjoyable (for me), but different.

While I liked the movie there is no question it is not even in the same ballpark when comparing to Alien and Aliens. One is one of the greatest horror films of all time and the other is one of the best action films of all time.

The previews for Spider Man and Bat Man looked pretty good.

Tony

Opinion?: Which do you think is #1 and #2 - Alien or Aliens

I am already seeing stuff on the net comparing the films. Interesting reading.

Amazon is already advertising pre-sales for the DVD's on Prometheus for when it is released. May or may not be a message there.

My opinion for greatest sci-fi films is: "Forbidden Planet"; "War of the Worlds" (George Pal version); Alien and Aliens. The first two scared the heck out of me when I was a tike in knee pants. By the way, the list is not in order because a comparison would not be fair due to the SpFX technology gap.

Edited by TheWalrus

Entertaining movie, but not even close to the original Alien movie. Alien was more of a horror movie that happened to take place on a spaceship. It definitely set the standard for space monsters for decades.

Prometheus had too many hidden agendas and clueless plot devices (why did characters do this or that). For instance, I've just traveled a billion miles from Earth sleeping for over 2 years to land on an alien planet and find evidence of an advanced alien culture, but I'm bummed and spend my time drinking myself into a stupor. Or, I have high tech futuristic mapping probes but decide to leave the group and get lost. Or dead guy's video feed starts up again right outside our ship, we don't quite know what killed him, but we'll drop the ramp open and see what's up. The list goes on.

But the ship was very cool, and the effects great, although the ship appeared to suffer from the Tardis Effect, more stuff inside the hull than the size looked like it could accommodate.

Robin, not to mention that the hologram of Earth was srikingly similar to what it now is, despite millions of years (?) of geological changes in the interim.

Then of course after puking out of their stasis induced stupor they immediately exited the ship (Prometheus) and went exploring the target. No checking out the lay of the land, atmospheric and pressure compatablilities and any other potential dangers first. I must have been asleep when what's her face got preggers but I think it stemmed from the little black micro-bot or something that the other dude put in another dude's drink for some unexplained reason. How it got to what's her face is beyond me.

There is the obvious explanation as to why the captain left the away party on their own without helping them by using the little mapping bots to help them out: i.e. "What to do, what to do?" - should I help the kids out of certain death in a gruesome manner or should I go do the deed with Charlize Theron? Oh, my. Decisions, decisions.

i'm sorry i enjoyed the film from what i am gathering you wre expecting another alien or at least a prequel when everything Read before hand said this is not a prequel but has strands of alien DNA. espcially with then end and the alpha creature. plus keep in mind,this is not the whole story for they are two more movie planned for promeithius.

I wasn't expecting an Alien prequel and I did like the movie. I just saw too many holes in the story, although some may have occurred to set up a new franchise with its own series of sequels. They can go forward ala Return to the Planet of the Apes with a rescue mission looking for the ship & crew (and run afoul of the newly created Alien-Engineer xenomorph) or they can continue to follow Shaw and David on their search for the Engineers.

robin ibeleive that the end of the prequels will end with the "space jockey" ship crash landing on Lv426 and the creature/xenomorph aka queen bursting out of the pilot which i now belive to be david in engineer form

Saw it tonight and enjoyed the show. Ship was pretty cool and hope a model materializes.

I followed the story, even with all the "why would you.." moments. Great thing about us humans, we don't always do the logical/smart thing. How many of you have told the girl not to go down to the basement when she hears an odd noise, etc.

While I liked Alien fine it was too much a horror movie to me (and I hate horror) where Aliens was much more fun for me but I think that was more because of the hardware than anything else.

I was split on the movie. Good visuals and actions. What seemed strange to me is how such a bunch of misfits were chosen for this seemingly very important flight. It sure didn't look like the astronauts.

Oh, and the chick got preggers because she apparently had sex (off camera) with one of the guys who drank the stuff with the black slime in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen it yet (despite my cuz being a producer on the film) but I'm with Tony - it has to be pretty horrendous for me not to like a sci-fi movie. I'm looking at the GK guys if they will decide to release a vehicle or figure from the movie. Time will tell.

• 3 months later...

I thought it was okay, but after seeing Prometheus several times I still can not figure why the guy in the opening sequence drank that crap and took a dive off the falls. :huh:

I think Aliens (the extended version) is the best of all the Alien films. If you haven't seen the extended version, you must see it. It adds so much more to the enjoyment of the film than the theatrical version. I understand there is a similar "extended" version coming out for Prometheus which hopefully fill in some of the holes in the original.

Rusty is dead on- the uncut version of Aliens sooooo good

Dave

It also added to the length of the film (about 30 minutes). The extended version is almost 3 hours. The "directors cut" of "Alien" didn't add much to the film (about 10 minutes or so), but at least we got to see what happened to Dallas, which was the only hole in the original.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was okay, but after seeing Prometheus several times I still can not figure why the guy in the opening sequence drank that crap and took a dive off the falls. :huh:

Okay, I finally found someone who figured out the opening sequence. He said that it showed the aliens as the creators of the human race. It was indicated by the DNA splitting and dispersing in the water. I never would have got that.

• 5 months later...

I know this is old but there will be two more prequal-sequals to "Prometheus" The next film is due out in 2014-15 and continues on with Shaw's trip to the Engineer planet and what happens there. The third and final sequal will be a direct tie in between Shaws visit and Alien and the whole backstory on how the Engineer ship happened to land on LV426. All this hinges on Whether Ridley Scott deems the series good enough to continue, this also based on the profitability of continuing on with the franchise.

Okay, I finally found someone who figured out the opening sequence. He said that it showed the aliens as the creators of the human race. It was indicated by the DNA splitting and dispersing in the water. I never would have got that.

Rusty....the engineer taking the poisin was the out going leader of their race. he is expected to take his own life. Hence the quote by Charlize in the movie when she confronts her father..."A ruler has his reign and then he dies....". The substance he drank was a WMD that was designed to eliminated thier race as a way to hide thier existance and evidence of their presence. After he drank the liquid as you saw his DNA mixed in the water and produced the Human race. In the movie Prometheus the ship where they found the Engineer pilot on, was on a mission to carpet bomb Earth with the "poison" to eradicate what was deemed by the Engineers and a horrendus mistake and had to "fix". Only the WMD they developed escaped and decimated the outpost where they were developing the weapon.