On-line Group Build

Ron

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no reason to exclude anyone, welcome abord Greg.

And I will send Bob an e-mail regarding the relocation of the thread. Any suggestions as to new name, or keep it what it is.

I have already begun the collection of measurments and photos and I will start posting this weekend when I have more time.

I must say though, a more through exam of the Trumpeter kit reveals time spent on detail. It will prove intersting to check the measurments this weekend.

Is it hard-and-fast that it be an F4U-1D? I have the Trumpeter F4U-4 kit and an old Revell (Sweetheart of Okinawa) kit as well. I don't want to get the original concept off track by building a different marque if it's been settled that the F4U-1D will be the one to use...

Frank

Is it hard-and-fast that it be an F4U-1D? I have the Trumpeter F4U-4 kit and an old Revell (Sweetheart of Okinawa) kit as well. I don't want to get the original concept off track by building a different marque if it's been settled that the F4U-1D will be the one to use...

Frank

I do not want to exclude anyone. As long as the subject is an F4U Corsair I think the different variant would only help to understand the differences. The same for the kit mfr. I only chose the Trump kit becuase it is avaialbe and in the size I needed to use as refrence for the next project. Which will have it's own thread here.

Ok folks, opened the box, took out the parts, washed them and took a good look. WOW these guys did some home work. The only thing I see so far that is not correct accoring the documentation I have is the tail ger. But it woudl requier more than I can do to correct, and beside, most people wont see it anyway.

It appears they got the flap hinges correct (good for me, this will help a lot for project2).

Main gear looks correct also (not that I have a lot of choice here on project2).

I have never seen an engine this detailed and will have to get my Pilot hand book out with photos to e sure, but I beleive it to be correct.

Since the flap info will help, the tail and main gear is a wash, so for now, I will start assembly of the engine.

I will post some picture sure you will see why the gear is incorrect. It appears they either had to do it this way to get it to work, or they got confused with some other linkage. I would preffer to think they did the formor with all the other detail work they did.

aftfuse.jpg

tailgrdraw.jpg

tailgear1a.jpg

tailgear1.jpg

Thise is a picture of the instructions and the difference is pretty obvious. The suspension link did not connect in the middle of the strut.

DSC00001.JPG

Well, as you can see above, I treied to post a fw pics, but I have done something wrong. I will try and figure it out and correct it.

Got emfixed, darn case sensitive stuff.

Ok, so far the only big item thing I found on this kit was the tail gear. The other differences that matter to me are measurements and could be my mistake so on ward we go. How goes it for you other gents?

A few more phots for refrence.

The underside of the wing center section. Note the pylon points and flap hinges.

BOTMCNTRSEC.jpg

The under fues vent door

BELLYPAN.jpg

BELLYDOOR.jpg

So I made a start on my 21st Century kit - also 1/32, but about 1/10th the price...... ;) The obligatory parts shot:

corsair01-1.jpg

The kit features all the parts already separated from the sprues. Detail is a bit soft, and the panel lines are a little heavy, but at thest the thing isn't covered in rivets! As it is basically an unmade version of their 1/32 display model, there are some big compromises in both the method of construction and in the levels of detail. Basically, it has about 1/10th the amount of detail in the Trumpy kit.....It does have a crew figure, so here's a potrait of Johnny Pilot (who bears more than a passing resemblance to Michael Schumacher!)

corsair02-1.jpg

Give him a big wave back-at-ya, why don't you?!

Cockpit detail is very simplfied, but adequate for my needs - which are to showcase the Fleet Air Arm version(incidentally, the first Corsairs to be flown operationally from carriers, rather than from airfields, were Royal Navy ones.) - so I built and painted it as is, with some simple weathering and a decal for the instrument panel:

corsair03-1.jpg

corsair04-1.jpg

No seat belts yet, as I'll be using Johnny Pilot - there are enough redundancies nowadays without putting this guy out to pasture.

Can everyone hear it......? That's the noise of all the mouse's right clicking, saving, and printing those pics! Nice shots! Thanks for sharing!

GIL :smiley16:

Go right ahead. I got them from another site and was given permission to share. The other site will be more apparhent in build 2 for me. Right now I have the parts cleaned and read through the insptructions a couple of times so I will start pre-painting very shortly.

How about a fw cockpit shots

F4U-4BCorsair.jpg

F4U-4Corsair.jpg

cockpitb.jpg

cockpitc.jpg

cockpita.jpg

Instrument.jpg

Started pre-painting today and found this on the cover of the instructions regarding tools needed (hardly ever read this). Modeling life. I think it was supposed to be modeling file, funny how somethings turn out.

Almpst forgot to let you know. Found a newsletter from IPMS/El Paso Scale Modele Society dated 12-03. I have a PDF copy of you want it but I believ it is avaialbe from their website. member Don Fenton did a very good artical showing the diffrences between a 1A and a 1D well worth downloading.

So how many do we have? My last count was;

Myself - Trumpeter F4U-1D

Paul Bradley - 21st Century F4U-1D

Dick Montgomry - Trumpeter F4U-1D

Greg Wise - 21st Century F4U-1D

Kranman - Revell F4U-4

any corrections/additions needed?

Started pre-painting today and found this on the cover of the instructions regarding tools needed (hardly ever read this). Modeling life. I think it was supposed to be modeling file, funny how somethings turn out.

They probably mean we should get a life...... :P

Got a kit the other day that wanted me to use "Semi-Gross Black" paint ...

To stay on-topic, the (just-arrived) March 2009 SAM has a nice build article on your GB kit ...

John

Well, took some measurements of the cowling and other areas, not sure if they are right. So far it does not appear to have any left over 1A markings. I am still impressed with this kit. The engine detail is pretty good so far also. Only missing some ignition components and safety wire.

Going to try and get some metal black so I don't have to mix it up and try to finish the engine this weekend. How are you other gentelmen coming along.

Well, al but finished th engine. Nice detail, but it would take some dry fitting and slow assembly to get everything matched up right along with the small parts. I did learn the plastic is pretty nice, soft but not to soft, but hard enough to launch the small parts into oblivion. Good thing I wasnt really concerned with the engine detail showing behind the front row. I will put the missing parts were they will no tbe seen. Started pre-painting the fuse parts as well and assemble sub-assemblies for the cockpit and such while waiting for paint. I will upload a photo soon.

The engine on the 21stC kit goes together very easily - as there are very few parts and little detail, I am not all that surprised....

corsair06-1.jpg

And all cowled up:

corsair05-1.jpg

Shoul dbe a quick and easy build, if I can drag myself away from the other 4 projects I have going at the moment...... :o

Looks pretty good all cowled up Paul. I think that is what matters especially when all you will be able to see is through the front anyway. I will be painting my cowl so that is why I am not concerned with the engine that much.

thought I would show what I ahev even though it's not completed yet either.

The engine

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

The floor and seat

DSC00009.JPG

The real seat

seat.jpg

Gents,

With regret, I needed to put the Corsair on hold. I'm working on two 1/48th Enola Gay aircraft (commission) and I need my available work space and time for the B-29s. While I'm following your Corsair build I can't join the band....rats.

Mr. Montgomery, Life happens and we all have to do what we have to do. No worries mate.