1/48 vacuform P-3C Orion; full build thread

ghodges

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Painting has begun! The gull gray is on, though some touch-ups will be needed....It took two sessions, because the model had to be held by the nose and tail fin while painting the fuselage; and then held by the fuselage to paint the elevators and tail fin.

001-7.jpg

As you can see, masking for the wing-walks has begun! The right wing is taped off to paint the dark gray cheat lines (took about 2hrs!). You can see the basic wing-walk layout on the left wing. It'll take a LOT more masking just to finish off the 2 color wing-walks.

Once this is all done, all of the gray will be masked off and silver will be applied as a base coat for the white areas on the fuselage, as well as for the tail markings. More pics in a couple of days!

GIL :smiley16:

Looking good sir!

Do you have some dihedral on the wings? They look a little flat to me. I believe there is some on the aircraft and I would hate for you to get too far along in painting if it needs to be adjusted. Might be me though.

Keep us posted.

Bill

Got the Dark Gray outlines painted this evening. Next will be to mask off those and paint the interiors of the wing-walks Dark Gull Gray.

Bill: there is dihedral in the wings, and the tail planes. Hard to see in the picture angles I've posted. Oddly, it seems to show best in the picture of the bottom on pg4.

Rusty: See pg2 and pg4 to see how I molded new masters and then smash molded new clear parts.

Edited by ghodges

Painting is about 85% done.....

001-8.jpg

Props also only need one more color. Still haven't decided whether to paint the leading edge correguard, or decal it. Squadron emblem on the tail fin is half painted, with only the red left to apply. This will probably be the last pic until she's done, as there won't be a lot more visible detailing between now and then. Cheers!

Well, got the tail art and the props painted. They're kinda colorful, so I thought I'd share them.

002-11.jpg

005-5.jpg

Drew the "bird" on paper and then used Frisket film to make masks of the drawing. All the props needed was a lot of masking! Cheers!

Gil,

That looks fantastic. Markings look really nice.

I hate this part...White, red, white prop tips.

All the pic's I looked at show this.

Your choice, they look really cool. Just an observation.

Model on!!!!

Bill

Hmmm.....I painted the props red/white/red because that's the way they are in the color rendering in the rear of the world Airpower P-3 Orion booklet. Pictures in there also show the props painted both ways, though the white/red/white does appear to be the most commonly used.

I still have white to paint on the model (gear and fuselage touch ups) so I might redo the tips. I could even just use red stripe decals for the tips if needed! Thanks for the heads up!

Still making progress (no pics though)....got the FOD covers all made and started repainting the prop tips (and I already regret that! :smiley7: ), and finished painting the gear doors. I also got the gloss coat onto the model, so it is prepped for decaling! Still have to paint the tires, add the landing lights (finally got them in the mail! :smiley20: ), add brake lines to the gear, etc., etc., etc..

It's surprising how many "little" things are left to do! But at least I'm inching towards the finish line! and to think....last May I thought I might get this done in time for the Nats! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic. Love this build. The tailflash indicates my brother's old squadron: VP-19 at NAS Moffett, CA. FYI...the crews referred to that emblem as the "Milpitas War Chicken."

No pics...but the model is decaled and sealed with the last gloss coat. All parts have been made and the props re-painted. Just a little weathering and washing to do and the fiddly bits can be added!

:smiley7: :smiley7: :smiley7:

Grrrrrrrr.........and I'll promptly take one step BACKWARDS, just because I posted my progress....

Was putting on the final semi-gloss coat and managed to spill some of the clear from the cup onto the model! :smiley26: While it's not a disaster, it DID manage to leave a couple of runs across the bottom and wipe out 1/2 of the correguard leading edge on one part of the wing. SO.....I'll be doing some light sanding and repainting that section of correguard, as well as a bit of gull gray on the bottom.

Sigh......... :angry: Like Led Zep sings....."no-no-nobody's fault but mine"!