New, modern 1/48 scale armor

As a child, I grew up building Aurora armor kits like the Sherman, MBT70, Patton and at least one German tank (I needed a bad guy to shoot at). I enjoyed discovering Bandai kits in the 1980s; lots of internal details and leaps and bounds ahead of the old Aurora toy-like kits. I had high hopes when Tamiya began their 1/48 scale line and even higher hopes when they released the M998 and M1025 HMMWVs. I was happy with the Hobby Boss Sherman, KV and T-34s too.

But what I really wanted to see was modern armor in this scale. The old Chinese company motorized toys by Zhendefu, Kitech and the like were terrible, worse than old Aurora kits in terms of details. I was hopin that Tamiya might shrink the Abrams, Bradley, M113, T-72, T-55, etc. down to 1/48 scale to go along with the HMMWVs.

Rob,

They may well still do it! I have never had one but I hear those Hobby Boss Shermans and T-34s rock!!!

:Smile_sceptic:

I think you will get your wish as long as the 1/48 Tamiya armor line continues to sell well. They'll eventually get around to the more modern stuff, especially as they get through all of the older stuf and have nothing else to turn to! That said, when I asked the Tamiya guys at a show about a new 1/48 Halftrack, they flat out said "when Mr. Tamiya wants one, we'll do one, in 1/48 and 1/35"! It seems he still drives kit selection as much or more than any "business model", builder input, or company survey results.

GIL :smiley16: