New display case built!

ghodges

This is my 4th display case, and was needed as I was completely out of room in the other 3. Also, since I have so many large models yet to be built in 1/48 (P-3, B-47, B-50, B-29, etc.); I needed a larger version of the first 3.

003.jpg

Its dimensions are 6' wide x 28" deep x 6'3" tall. The adjustable shelving will hold 10 shelves; 5 per side. Each shelf will be 25" deep x 33"" wide; big enough to hold a Monogram 1/48 B-29! The shelf in there now is a cheap window pane replacement. I still have to order the shelves for the case. They will be 1/8" tempered glass to prevent breakage from bumps and bangs.

002-1.jpg

Note the half-round plastic bracket, bottom center. My carpentry skills leave a lot to be desired, and the unit isn't quite "square". It took a lot of tweaking and trimming to get the doors to fit, and they didn't want to stay shut tightly along the bottom. The bracket holds the doors closed, and can be rotated down to allow the doors to open. You can also see the pile of adjustable shelf arms. I had to special order 21" arms and then also cut off the lips on the ends so that the larger shelving would be able to hang over the front edge.

004-3.jpg

I christened the unit with my 1/32 scale models and my 1/48 PBY-1 Catalina (Monogram/Belcher Bits conversion). The P-38J and the Ki-61 are old Revell kits, and the F4B-4 biplane is the Hasagawa kit. The T-28C is the CollectAire resin kit and the FJ-4 Fury is the old ID vacuform kit. As you can see, there's plenty of room for the BIG stuff!

Comments and questions welcome! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

I am planning to try to draw up a set of plans. I'm hoping to find a way to do it on computer, though I can always resort to dragging out my board and T-square if I need to, and then scan the drawings in. If and when I get them done, I plan to submit an article to the Journal. After all, we ALL need a way to display our babies! :smiley2:

GIL :smiley16:

A free app named, "Goggle SketchUp" will do the trick.

No, I mean Goggle Sketchup....one uses in "underwater" situations. :smiley16:

David,

As a former Ikea Purchaser!!!! Check ALL your boxes before leaving the store!!!!! IKEA is 42 miles from my house! My Billly display case came in four seperate boxes. EVERY box had a part missing or part damaged! My favorite was the foor board. The showing side and been forklifted BEFORE it was put into the shipping box! IKEA was great on the customer service end but aviod the hassles BEFORE getting it home.

:Smile_sceptic:

Edited by Mark Aldrich