My Armor Projects For '09 Updated 7-13-09

Mark Deliduka

As promised, it's after dinner and I got some more progress made. Things are looking up.

Here is a shot of all my three Shermans in their final OD basecoat. I'm going to wait a day or so to let them dry well and then I'll clearcoat them, decal them and finish them off.

WIP%203%20M4%20Shermans%20III.JPG

While I was waiting for these to dry, I worked some more on my Ju-52. I know this doesn't belong here in the Armor Forum, butit is just one pic, and I am working on both armor and aircraft. Anyway, the fuselage is all closed up, the wing flaps are on it, and she's standing on her pegs so far:

WIP%20Ju%2052%20IV.JPG

Further progress on this Ju-52 will be posted in the Aircraft Forum.

And finally, here is a little thing I decided to go back to and get finished up. It's been sitting on my bench for more than a year, and I'm ready to get this off the bench and onto the shelf.

Here is my Trumpeter M-113 A1 almost ready for the basecoat. I also left the engine panel loose so that the engine could be peeked at.

WIP%20M113%20APC%20VI.JPG.

WIP%20M113%20APC%20VII.JPG

Well, that's all for today. Time to hit the sack. Thanks to all who look and all comments are welcome.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, I must be moving so fast nobody has a chance to reply! Even my finished ones apparently went up so fast that nobody saw them fast enough to comment!

Anyway, for those still following this, here is my latest progress on my armor projects.

I finally managed to get my Academy halftrack body assembled. While it was drying, I also painted the tracks on the chassis, and added the front wheels. Here it is with the top dry fit to the chassis:

WIP%20M%203%20halftrack%20II.JPG

I also went back to the M-113 and basecoated it and then painted the wheels:

WIP%20M113%20APC%20VIII.JPG

I'll get another basecoat on it later to smooth out the color.

Meanwhile as that dried, I got some more progress done on my two Dragon Humvees. The Revell of Germany ones have come to a screeching halt until I can recover/replace the decals.

On these Dragon Humvees, the clear tops seem to be slightly warped as it took this much clamping and holding to get it to sit right on the lower body:

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20D%20VI.JPG

That one was the TOW carrier without the ASK armor on it. That one has the hatch open to show off all the cargo in back.

This other one is the TOW carrier with ASK armor. This one is now fully assembled and ready for the camo pattern on it:

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20D%20VII.JPG

Yes, I did adjust the crooked panel. It's straight now.

Well, that's all the progress I have for today. Man, I love rainy days!!

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome. And I mean that people! Speak up! I can't hear you!

Well, despite all the running around I've done today, I still managed to get some progress on the last few models I've been working on.

Two of these are at the decal stage. Tomorrow, if I can, I'll clearcoat these two and decal them.

The first one is my M-113 APC. The other one is an aircraft and I profiled myn progress on it in the Aircraft Forum.

On the M-113, the tracks were a pain in the nether regions due to the fact that Trumpeter says to 'flare' the pin down to hold the ends together. Yet they molded these tracks so that they are impossible to even put together to flare.

So, I punted....

The tracks are on and the skirts are hiding where I glued them to the hull overhang. Now all I have to do is clean up the paint a bit.

Here it is:

WIP%20M113%20APC%20IX.JPG

WIP%20M113%20APC%20X.JPG

WIP%20M113%20APC%20XI.JPG

Well, that is all I have for now. The next pics of this M-113 will be finished pics in these Forums.

Thanks all for looking and comments are welcome!

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted but now that I have some progress done, here is my latest post.

These are two of my 'big box' projects one armor one aircraft, so I can get the big boxes out of my stash and into the trash! Feel free to check out the aircraft Forum to see my latest progress on my aircraft.

This first one is the Munitionspanzer that came with the Hasegawa 1/72 scale Karl Morser 54cm Mortar. I finally got the camo pattern on it:

WIP%20Morser%20V.JPG

WIP%20Morser%20VI.JPG

Now all that's left is some detail/touch up painting and then add the tracks to it and it'll be ready for finishing. I've gotten the tracks for both this munitionspanzer and the Karl already painted, so soon I'll be able to mount the tracks on both vehicles. These are looking close to done now.

This next one is my 1/72 scale Dragon T-34/76 with cast turret. I've got all the plastic assembly done. Now it's waiting on the Photo-etch:

WIP%20Kursk%20GB%20III.JPG

WIP%20Kursk%20GB%20IV.JPG

Hopefully soon I'll get some more done on this.

This final one is the GMC CCKW tractor trailer from the Australian Army in WWII. So far, I have only assembled the back trailer minus the wheels:

WIP%20CCKW%20BSGB%20I.JPG

I do have two other tractor-trailer trucks from PST to build as well. I will be building them along with this one to get them all done at the same time.

Meanwhile thanks for looking, comments are welcome.

More progress to report for those still watching this.

I got the tracks on and the exhaust on both of the models in the Hasegawa Karl Morser 54cm kit. I also detailed the exhausts with black paint, Old Rust weathering powders from Tank Rats AFV Depot followed by a silver dry brush. I need to add some more powders to the Karl's pipes...

Here's the Karl:

WIP%20Morser%20VII.JPG

Here's the munitionspanzer:

WIP%20Morser%20VIII.JPG

WIP%20Morser%20IX.JPG

Here you go everyone, here are the two side by side:

WIP%20Morser%20X.JPG

Another little model I've been slowly working on is my Roden Sdkfz 234 "Schtummel" 8-rad.

Not much got done on this yet, but I did get the little detail parts on the fenders. It is coming along slower that I want it to, but then I have to paint the interior before I can go on. My friend Dave O has the right color. I just need to get it from him soon.

Here is where I am now with this:

WIP%20SS%20Group%20Build%20III.JPG

WIP%20SS%20Group%20Build%20IV.JPG

I did have to straighten the gun carriage pieces since it had slipped to one side. This pulled it askew from the opening that the guns sticks out from. Everything is aligned now.

That about covers it so far. I also got some work done on my aircraft models which are shown in the Aircraft Forum. Feel free to go check them out

Thanks for looking, comments are welcome.

Just a quick update here.

I took the time to add the P/E screens and other P/E to this. Then I added most of the final detail parts and then started some preliminary painting.

Here is my progress so far. I'm finally seeing some progress here. This one should go faster now that I've gotten this much done.

WIP%20Kursk%20GB%20V.JPG

This is a closeup of the P/E screens on the back deck. Remember this model is only three and a half inches long or so.

WIP%20Kursk%20GB%20VI.JPG

If you look closely you'll see one of the P/E handles I added to the toolbox on the port side too.

I've also painted the tracks already, and applied the old rust powder. Later I'll be dry-brushing the silver on them, glue the ends together and get them installed on the tank.

Well, that's all for now. I'll be spending the next two days helping my sister and her family move on base, now that they were finally assigned base housing. After that I think I'll relax on the bench all day Thursday.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

<br />what a show off. They all look great and of course you have way too much time on your hands.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Mark, Thanks for the reply and I apologize for not writing sooner. Apparently I'm not getting my E-mail notifications of replies to this Thread despite the option being checked.

I only wish I had too much time on my hands! If I did, everything I've posted so far would be long finished! Thanks for the compliment, I hope to have these done soon.

Hi Mark. Finally joined this group. Great to see you here as wel. Fantastic work as usual?

Well, it's been awhile, but I finally got some things done. At least some things done enough to take pics and post.

First off, here are some of my projects from some of the Group Builds I'm in on the LEM. This first one is my Kursk Group Build T-34/76 with the cast turret that is now ready for decals:

WIP%20Kursk%20GB%20VII.JPG

WIP%20Kursk%20GB%20VIII.JPG

The color is actually a lot greener; for some reason it washed out in the pics. Also, as of the time I posted these pics, the grab handles on the turret are already painted.

Next is my GMC truck for the Braille Scale Group Build. I have gotten it to the painting stage, and now it is ready for some detail painting before clear coating it for decals.

Here is a shot of it without the cab, showing the chassis:

WIP%20CCKW%20BSGB%20V.JPG

Yeah, it has a crude yet recognizable engine in it. Interesting....

Here it is with the cab on it:

WIP%20CCKW%20BSGB%20VI.JPG

I just have to cut some clear poly for the windows and it'll be done there. The cab is only dry fit for now.

Finally, here is the truck and trailer all together:

WIP%20CCKW%20BSGB%20VII.JPG

I'd say it is looking pretty good.... so far; for a PST kit.

That is about all I have for this one. Soon I should have the windows on it and then it'll be time to detail and decal it.

As these tanks and trucks were drying, I also went to work on two aircraft. Feel free to check out my progress on them in the Aircraft Forums.

Now while those two white planes were drying, I went ahead and made some progress on my Hobby Boss 1/72 scale Br-52 Lokomotive.

I assembled the main tank for this engine and added the stack and other bulges to it. Here it is test fit to the main chassis:

WIP%20Br%2052%20IV.JPG

Next, I went to assemble the cab, but found a whole mess of ejector pin marks that needed filling. So, I pulled out my trusty filler and went to work filling; and when it was dry, sanding. Here you can see all the little white dots where I had to fill the pin marks. This is before I sanded them down smooth:

WIP%20Br%2052%20III.JPG

Well, with all the sanding and filling done, I was now able to assemble the cab partway. Here it it sitting behind the tank, test fit into place:

WIP%20Br%2052%20V.JPG

I did start on some of the interior details of the cab as well, as you can see here:

WIP%20Br%2052%20VI.JPG

I'll be painting the interior of this cab before I add any more details, and then when the paint is dry, I'll finish the cab interior and close it off. I still have a considerable amount of work to do to this; I almost feel like I'm assembling another 1911 Christie Fire Truck with all the additional assembly that still needs to be done! Man what a complex model! At least now it is starting to look like a locomotive.

Well, that summarizes all the work I've been doing the last few days. Amazingly enough, much of this was done while my wife was on her vacation from work for five days!

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

Oh, and since I hadn't posted my latest progress on my Hasegawa 1/72 scale Karl Morser 54cm and munitionspanzer before, here it is.

The Karl is now complete, assembly-wise. I even got a little more detail painting done as well. Now it's ready for decals; such as they are....

WIP%20Morser%20XI.JPG

WIP%20Morser%20XII.JPG

Here is the Morser with the munitionspanzer:

WIP%20Morser%20XIII.JPG

All that's left on the munitionspanzer is to rig the crane and add the shells. Then that one will be ready for decals too.

I would have added this above but that would have been too many pics. Anyway, thanks all for looking and comments are welcome.

About a year ago, I'd started my ACE 1/72 scale Russian A-19 122mm artillery piece. Unfortunately I couldn't finish it because I'd lost a whole sprue! Well, Alexei from ACE sent me a whole sprue as well as a spare barrel and ammo for free! I just got it a couple days ago, and now this baby is fully assembled and ready for paint:

WIP%20Russian%20122mm%20Heavy%20Artillery%20II.JPG

WIP%20Russian%20122mm%20Heavy%20Artillery%20III.JPG

Wow, it feels good to be getting that finished!

I also managed to get a coat of paint slapped on my Secret Santa gift, the Roden 8-rad:

WIP%20SS%20Group%20Build%20V.JPG

The top is only dry fit on. There won't be that big gap when I close it up!

I'll be touching that up and moving along on it soon. I gotta get that done!

Aside from these, I clearcoated the T-34 and the GMC truck I've been building too. They will be getting decals next, then weathering. I'll get pics of them when I have something to show.

Well, that is about all I have for now. Feel free to also check out my progress on my Aircraft models in the Aircraft Forum.Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Duke:

I just got finished looking at all of your fantastic looking Armor pieces. You are just the Man. Those pieces are nice. I didn't see any pix of the finished Stryer though. What happened there?I like how everything else is turning out though. I am hoping that I can get my eyes working right so I can get back to my armor projects. Again, nice job "Iron Duke" :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Duke:

I just got finished looking at all of your fantastic looking Armor pieces. You are just the Man. Those pieces are nice. I didn't see any pix of the finished Stryer though. What happened there?I like how everything else is turning out though. I am hoping that I can get my eyes working right so I can get back to my armor projects. Again, nice job "Iron Duke" :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

LOL! Thanks Dave! I may even adopt that name somehow. I do hope your eyes start working right enough for you to start again too. I love seeing your work!

I didn't post my finished Stryker? Wow, I didn't know that! I'm sorry. Here are the pics for those who haven't seen it:

These were taken on my workbench when I finished it. The quality may not be the best:

US%20M1126%20Stryker%20I.jpg

US%20M1126%20Stryker%20II_001.jpg

US%20M1126%20Stryker%20III.jpg

And here are a couple pics taken after my Third Place win at the Pasadena Model Show:

Valleycon%203rd%20Place%20I.JPG

Valleycon%203rd%20Place%20II.JPG

There you go Dave, I'm sorry I didn't post these earlier!

LOL! Thanks Dave! I may even adopt that name somehow. I do hope your eyes start working right enough for you to start again too. I love seeing your work!

I didn't post my finished Stryker? Wow, I didn't know that! I'm sorry. Here are the pics for those who haven't seen it:

These were taken on my workbench when I finished it. The quality may not be the best:

US%20M1126%20Stryker%20I.jpg

US%20M1126%20Stryker%20II_001.jpg

US%20M1126%20Stryker%20III.jpg

And here are a couple pics taken after my Third Place win at the Pasadena Model Show:

Valleycon%203rd%20Place%20I.JPG

Valleycon%203rd%20Place%20II.JPG

There you go Dave, I'm sorry I didn't post these earlier!

Iron Duke:

I think you have me confused with another Dave, cause I haven't been able to post except on one of my web groups. Two years ago, at our local show, Buffcon, I entered a 1/72 scale Kubelwagen in the small scale Armor category and got a second place medal.I'm not sure how to post pix on this site but I'm on the photo section in the Military-Aircraft yahoo web group under "Dave Models" That Stryker is amazing. Very nice work. :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Gil, thanks for both your replies. I was probably typing my previous one when you posted the first time. I appreciate it and I'm looking forward to seeing your Firefly. Which one are you gonna do? I've built four of them so far: One Canadian, one 'Beute' and two British ones.

Dave, thanks for the compliment on my Stryker. And I did go to see your Yahoo group a couple times to see your work. I also saw your 1/72 scale Kubelwagen award winning model from Buffcon posted by a friend on the LEM. He posted it particularly for me since it was 1/72 scale and so well done. He knew I'd appreciate it even more since I always build that scale.

As for posting here, well, I may have to see if I can show you in Columbus if I can make it to the Nationals. I hope you make it too.

Thanks again you two for the great replies. I really appreciate hearing from my fellow IPMS members.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I have finally found some time to get some progress done. Here we are a month later and I only have a little to show, but that's because I've had no time to work on anything!

This is all work on my Armor so far. I'll start with my A-19 Russian gun. It's all painted and ready for weathering.

WIP%20Russian%20122mm%20Heavy%20Artillery%20IV.JPG

WIP%20Russian%20122mm%20Heavy%20Artillery%20V.JPG

Next I got some more work done on my 8 rad. I'll have t repaint the tires:

WIP%20SS%20Group%20Build%20VI.JPG

WIP%20SS%20Group%20Build%20VII.JPG

I just need to finish that darn thing!

Finally, I am completely done with the Morser and the munitionspanzer. All that is left is clearcoat, decaling, dullcoat, weathering and rigging the munitionspanzer crane:

WIP%20Morser%20XIV.JPG

WIP%20Morser%20XV.JPG

I'll still get some more bench time later today; I'll post me next progress then. Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

The Morser Karl is finished, at least the main gun is. The munitionspanzer still has a ways to go. One of the tracks broke so I'm waiting for it to dry now, and then the crane needs to be rigged. Then I'll be able to call that part of it finished.

Meanwhile, here are the shots of the completed Karl Loki:

WIP%20Morser%20XVI.JPG

WIP%20Morser%20XVII.JPG

Now on to the newest projects that I just started today.

I had picked up some dio buildings by Italeri, and decided, these looked simple enough to just throw together. Here they are:

WIP%20Diorama%20Pieces%20I.JPG

These next couple of models are for you Redleg.

This first one is ACE's 1/72 scale M 101 howitzer. I started out trying to get the barrel done:

WIP%20M101%20a.jpg

The next day, I finished it off:

WIP%20M101%20b.JPG

WIP%20M101%20c.JPG

Nice looking little bugger, if I do say so myself.

Well, since I started an M 101, I guess I'd best start an M 102 to go with it.

Here it is started already. I have the gun resting in the lower carriage for now:

WIP%20M102%20a.jpg

Yeah, I'll have to drill out both barrels on both these guns That will come later.

Last but not least, here is another gun I built. This is the Italeri 1/72 scale Italian 90 mm gun and crew. This gun is molded in soft plastic which was surprisingly firm. the gun went together fairly well and looks pretty good. Even though it is more designed for the wargamer market, I'm thrilled to have an Italian gun in my inventory for once! Here it is:

WIP%20Italian%2090mm%20Gun%20I.JPG

Well, that finally brings me to the end of this building session. Feel free to check out the progress I made on my aircraft in the Aircraft Forum. I doubt I'll get anything more done before I leave for Florida, so thanks all for looking and comments are welcome.