My Armor Projects For '09 Updated 7-13-09

Mark Deliduka

Well, it is the New Year and I might as well post the progress I've made on some of my projects since the New Year began.

I'll start with the three Shermans I worked on at Hobby Day. One pic of the Sherman with wading stacks didn't come out so I omitted that photo. I do have one photo of all three together though. As mentioned before, these are all at the photo etch stage:

1/72 scale Dragon Sherman Ic:

WIP%20M4%20Sherman%20Ic%20II.JPG

1/72 scale Dragon M4A4:

WIP%20M4A4%20II.JPG

My apologies for the fuzzy pics. I didn't have a tripod at Hobby Day.

Here are the three Shermans together:

WIP%203%20M4%20Shermans%20I.JPG

Later on the next day, I managed to get some more work done on some other models. I now have four Humvees at about the same stage of construction. These first ones are the two 1/72 scale Dragon Humvees in the Factory. One is the basic Humvee with TOW, the other one is the TOW Humvee with ASK armor on it:

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20D%20I.JPG

Next are the two 1/72 scale RevellAG Humvees. One is the TOW Humvee and the other is the ambulance:

WIP%20Humvee%20Ambulance%20II.JPG

And finally, the last model is my Christmas gift from my friend Dave O'Barr. This is the 1/72 scale Academy Stryker that is almost ready for a basecoat of green:

WIP%20A%20Stryker%20II.JPG

That is my progress I've made so far. I hope to have more progress posted for you later.

Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Sherman looks like a good kit! I'm not much of an armor builder...last armor build was a 1/48th jeep, but I do like Shermans. Of course, its the tank everyone can identify.

That good work in 1/72!

Thanks guys.

Dick, I got three Shermans working and I gotta say Dragon makes the best Sherman kit out there in 1/72 scale. Thanks again for the compliment.

Paul, I plan on making the Firefly all OD as that is the only color scheme offered in this kit. It has five or six decal options, almost all seem to be Polish tanks, although I believe one is for a British tank. I plan on using that decal set for it.

Thanks again for the comments and compliments guys!

I believe I've done only one 1/72 tank, that being a Tiger and it was many years ago. My armor ventures are now softskin and rocket artillery. Did an ARII 1/48 Scud last year.

Thanks for the comment Dick, I appreciate it. I'm glad you stopped in to post.

Some more nice builds you've got going Mark.

I have the earlier Revell Humvee's set and wondered which wheels you were going to use on them? The ones in the kit suck. I have looked at MIG's and someone else had a set but think both of them are more suited for post Desert Storm and I am planning DS versions.

Thanks for the compliment Phil. I plan on just using the kit wheels. I know they are inaccurate, but I haven't the money to affor5d aftermarket wheels and so these are being built out of the box. Mine will also be done in a European three-tone camo pattern.

Thanks again for the comments and I look forward to seeing yours done too.

Mark, thanks for posting your in-progress work regularly. More builders should have your courage to invite comments on in-progress work without taking offense when critical but helpful comments and suggestions are offered. Mostly, I am a "lurker" on the armor threads. I read all the posts, but rarely make comments. Believe me, I do admire the in-progress updates and the finished project pictures. I learn much from reading the comments of the other armor folks as well.

Regarding your armor, I know so little about the subject that I am at a loss to comment on the variants of Shermans (or Abrams or Tigers or Sd.Kfz. whatevers) and their details and the quality of the various kits. I have never built a tracked vehicle, but I am working on my first softskin. It's the 1/35 Italeri M-978 Oshkosh fuel tanker. A wheeled military vehicle is not too far removed from the automotive builds I do, so I am dipping my toe into the armor waters. The assembly is not my problem; I'm challenged by the 1990's NATO three-color camo scheme (the kit's directions do not match reference photos, and the decals match neither). After the initial paint job, then it's gloss for decals, add decals, gloss over decals, apply wash, apply dullcote, remove masking, and finally see if the wheels will all rest on the ground simultaneously. :smiley11:

Keep up the good work.

Ed

Thanks Ed. It sounds like you're getting a good start on the armor side of things. You also seem to have the system down pat. I do thank you for this post too. I would not mind seeing any compliments about what you think looks good, and I'd be happy to answer any questions too, my extremely limited experience with 1/35th scale armor notwithstanding. I also would not have any problems with any of your observations about something that doesn't quite look right. What you see may be something I overlooked and I would be very appreciative of having it brought to my attention to fix or watch out for on the next project.

Thanks again Ed. I look forward to seeing more of your work as well.

Now for more pics of my progress in my armor factory. I managed to get a lot of progress done on my AS 42 Sahariana with the anti-tank gun. However, the pics didn't turn out well, so I'll have to shoot more later and then post them. Meanwhile, here are the pics for the Academy M-3 halftrack I'm also doing. This one is almost ready for paint. I should have it ready by the time the painting party I have scheduled with three other friends rolls around.

WIP%20M%203%20halftrack%20I.JPG

I would have done more, but I'm still fighting this flu. I'll keep you posted as I get more progress done.

Thanks for looking, and comments are welcome. Also, feel free to check out my latest progress on my Aircraft in the Aircraft Forum.

Well, I also got a lot more progress done on my armor here too, in addition to the aircraft I've been working on. If this is an indicator of how I feel, then I'm getting real healthy real fast!

here is my latest progress on what I'm building there.

Just about all my work was done on my Humvees I've had started. I also did a little painting on the ABM 42 Sahariana, but not enough to justify pics. So, here are my Humvees.

These are the two Dragon Humvees with TOW missile launchers. I have the interiors done so far and I'm ready to assemble the cabs:

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20D%20II.JPG

I was looking through the box and found out that Dragon included two additional TOW launchers with tripods along with the ones that are mounted on the roof of these two. Sweet!!

Here are my Revell Humvees. They were tough to get lined up right, and get all the wheels on the ground, but I think so far I have them looking right.

This one is the TOW launcher:

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20II.JPG

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20III.JPG

Yeah, I got the gaps filled already. Man, what a mess!!

Here's the Ambulance Humvee here:

WIP%20Humvee%20Ambulance%20III.JPG

WIP%20Humvee%20Ambulance%20IV.JPG

I still have to fix the front grill add-on piece as it looks crooked when viewed from the front. This one is pretty messy too! Man, I can't wait to get some basecoat laid!!

Well, that's all for now, I'll get more pics posted later when I get more done.

Also feel free to stop into the Aircraft forum as well to see my latest progress on my 1/72 scale Aircraft.

Well, I'm hoping people are still following this Thread here. I guess my "Braille" stuff is too small to see well enough to comment on! :smiley17::smiley20: Oh well, I'm still posting it anyway...

Lately I've been feeling much better from the flu I've been fighting and now I managed to get a little progress done. Not as much as I like, but at least I can show the one model ready for clearcoat and decals, and the other three that are ready for camo patterns.

This is the Academy Stryker ready for decals:

WIP%20A%20Stryker%20III.JPG

WIP%20A%20Stryker%20IV.JPG

Once I get the decals done, I'll add on the detail parts like the light shields, tools and machine gun.

These next three are ready for the camo patterns to go on.

Here is my ABM 42 Sahariana first:

WIP%20AS42%20IV.JPG

WIP%20AS42%20V.JPG

She's coming along well, along with the two Revell Humvees. They look better now with the basecoat on:

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20IV.JPG

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20V.JPG

WIP%20Humvee%20Ambulance%20V.JPG

WIP%20Humvee%20Ambulance%20VI.JPG

Well that's about all the progress I've gotten done so far. Feel free to check out the aircraft Forums for my first finished models of 2009.

Thanks all for looking and comments are welcome.

Awwww, Mark,

Your Humvees had so much more character when they were yellow. :rolleyes: Drab green is just so . . . drab! :smiley11:

You get more good work accomplished when you are sick than I can produce when I'm blessed with the free time to work on models. Keep it up. I'm watching and learning from you. To paraphrase Garrison Kiellor (Prairie Home Companion on National Public Radio): "No time spent helping other modelers is ever wasted."

Ed

Mark:

I'm a big fan of 1/72 Armor, in fact, I have mostly 1/72 with a few 1/35 in the store room. I have a twopack of Hummers by dragon, both 998's, one as a regular transport truck, and the other as an armored truck. I also have a couple of Shermans, one an old AIRFIX and the other is HASEGAWA. I am planning on having a great time buildin them, although I have some other plans for NOREASTCON at the end of April. I probably won't win anything, but hell I go to the shows for the comradery.

Dave Wahl

Thanks guys for the replies.

Ed, wait till you see my humvees in their camo pattern, their character level went back up! :smiley20: I have five models now at the decal stage; which may happen today after work. Stay tuned!

Dave thanks! 1/72 scale armor and aircraft is all I build (along with whatever ship strikes my fancy). I think your set is one of two Dragon Humvee sets I haven't gotten yet; the other being the one with the psyops rig. Yours is the one I want to get though, even though I've already built the Revell Humvee set with the truck bed.

Ah, the old Airfix and Hasegawa Shermans! Great little models, even though the Hasegawa one is more like 1/65 scale. I also buil.t both of those along time ago, more than a decade now.

I also feel the same way as you do about the shows. I go for the cameraderie, and if by some miracle I actually win, well that's just icing on an already delicious cake! Sometimes for fun I like to take a ton of models to a contest just to show quantity that nobody expects! Did you know that I hold the record for the most models entered in a Nationals? :smiley2::smiley14: I love people's reactions when they hear how many models I brought!! :smiley17: B)

Dave, I loook forward to seeing your work done too. Meanwhile, it's off to work and then afterward I'll post pics of my latest progress again.

Mark, here's a 1/72 project that will stretch your wings. Take the 1/72 R-M Space Shuttle kit, find a 1/72 Kenworth or Peterbilt cabover tractor, and scratchbuild the thousand-wheel (so it seems) trailer in 1/72 used to tow the new shuttles out of the factory. Nobody has done that before that I have ever seen. This will add real space and automotive subjects to your showcases. ;)

Ed

Thanks for the suggestion Ed. I'll have to look that up. One problem is how to find a 1/72 scale Kenworth or Peterbilt cab/tractor. I don't know of anyone who makes one. I may have to see if there's a diecast one around. That would be a cool idea.

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I'd LOVE to see him try and speedbuild THAT! :smiley13: I think that this is definitely a project I'll be setting up for.

Thanks James. On another Forum I have been nicknamed "Maddog Manufacturing"! :smiley17::smiley17::smiley17:

More to come. Stay tuned guys!

Mark,

A company in Denmark called ScanKit manufactured commercial truck kits in 1/72. I have two kits: #3001 Peterbilt 359 Conventional and #3010 Kenworth Aerodyne Conventional. Both have a conventional cab and a sleeper box. Both kits look quite good for the scale, including infitesimal scale rivets on the sheet metal body panels. I never found out if they offered cabover versions of the chassis. I'd take these kits over those offered in 1/87 HO Scale any day, as those usually look really poor.

Ed

Ed, thanks for that info. Is Scankit still around? Can their trucks still be purchased? This is really intriguing, I'd love to get a couple of these. Thanks again for the info.

Now on to the pics.

I promised more, and here it is. My next model ready for decals, in addition to the Stryker, is the little Italian ABM 42 from Italeri. Here it is sporting camouflage for the defense of Rome:

WIP%20AS42%20VI.JPG

These next two models are also ready for decals now too.

My two Revell Humvees:

WIP%20Humvee%20Ambulance%20VII.JPG

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20VI.JPG

Next, I added the interior detail to the two Dragon Humvees. They really pack alot into the little models!

Anyone know what colors I should paint these interior details?

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20D%20III.JPG

Now one of these Humvees will have the back hatch and possibly one door open, while the other one will be closed up. Here is the one that will be closed up. The top is only test fit so far so I can see how much interior detail will be visible inside the open hatch:

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20D%20IV.JPG

And finally, here is what it will look like with the TOW launcher on top:

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20D%20V.JPG

My apologies again for the blurry pics. The clear top made it difficult for the camera to focus.

Well, that is about all the progress I have to show so far today. Stay tuned everyone and remember, comments are welcome.

I did a web search for ScanKit. There is a website that lists current kits. The two I mentioned are still listed, but mostly the kits are of European commercial trucks. Some appear to be 1/72 while others appear to be 1/87. Take care in your selection when you order. Enjoy the variety.

Ed

Well, it is the New Year and I might as well post the progress I've made on some of my projects since the New Year began.

I'll start with the three Shermans I worked on at Hobby Day. One pic of the Sherman with wading stacks didn't come out so I omitted that photo. I do have one photo of all three together though. As mentioned before, these are all at the photo etch stage:

1/72 scale Dragon Sherman Ic:

WIP%20M4%20Sherman%20Ic%20II.JPG

1/72 scale Dragon M4A4:

WIP%20M4A4%20II.JPG

My apologies for the fuzzy pics. I didn't have a tripod at Hobby Day.

Here are the three Shermans together:

WIP%203%20M4%20Shermans%20I.JPG

Later on the next day, I managed to get some more work done on some other models. I now have four Humvees at about the same stage of construction. These first ones are the two 1/72 scale Dragon Humvees in the Factory. One is the basic Humvee with TOW, the other one is the TOW Humvee with ASK armor on it:

WIP%20Humvee%20TOW%20D%20I.JPG

Next are the two 1/72 scale RevellAG Humvees. One is the TOW Humvee and the other is the ambulance:

WIP%20Humvee%20Ambulance%20II.JPG

And finally, the last model is my Christmas gift from my friend Dave O'Barr. This is the 1/72 scale Academy Stryker that is almost ready for a basecoat of green:

WIP%20A%20Stryker%20II.JPG

That is my progress I've made so far. I hope to have more progress posted for you later.

:smiley20: Those are some sweet looking armor models. One question though, was that Stryker hard to build? My brother used to work on them at the G/D plant in Anniston, Al. and I have been interested in them since I saw some pix. Most of the model armor I have is in 1/72-76 so I check out all the 1/72 projects shown.

Dave Wahl

IPMS#46035

Kitbashers Model Car Club

Wellsville, N.Y. :smiley14:

Thanks Ed, I'll run a scan for Scankit too and see what I can get.

Dave, that Stryker was actually fairly fast and easy to build. The longest part was doing the suspension underneath. That gets a bit fiddly and makes it a bit tough to get all eight wheels to sit on the ground. I managed though, and the rest was easy. In fact, total assembly time was about one and a half to two hours. That didn't include paint. I should have the decals on it soon, along with my other three models that are ready for decals.

Thanks again for posting guys!

A company in Denmark called ScanKit manufactured commercial truck kits in 1/72. I have two kits: #3001 Peterbilt 359 Conventional and #3010 Kenworth Aerodyne Conventional. Ed

Reeeeaaalllly? I've been looking for modern-ish commercial/industrial European trucks from which to make Afghan "jingle trucks" in 1/72 scale. Does ScanKit do anything like that?

The website listed the following trucks, whether historically or current I don't know: Ford Transcontinental 4435, Mercedes-Benz 2238S, Volvo F12, DAF 2800, Kenworth Aerodyne Tractor, and Peterbilt 359 Conventional. For these tractors there appear to be a basic trailer, container trailer, lowloader trailer, and open trailer. Looking through the site, other European trucks include Volkswagen, Opel, MAN, Iveco, Neoplan, BMW, Scania, and Mack. I hope you can find what you need and can then obtain it.

Oh man, how I love a rainy day!! :smiley14::smiley20:

Yeah, there's nothing like sitting in the hobby room listening to the rain come down as I'm building away! I've got quite a bit of progress to show, and I may even have more to post after dinner so stay tuned.

Okay, I'll start with my Italian ABM 42. As I was finishing this one up, the main post on the anti tank gun broke. That really fried my eggs! Anyway, I pulled out a piece of brass rod, trimmed it to size, and then proceeded to attach it to the bottom of the gun carriage with CA glue. I then drilled out the broken post inside the gun support and then I took a pin vise and deepened the hole a bit. I fit the gun into the main support, and voila! Gun is fixed!

Here's the gun with the brass rod attached ready to go into the post:

WIP%20AS42%20VII.JPG

Now that this little Italian car is finished, feel free to check it out in another post in this Armor Forum. Thanks!

Meanwhile, as I was working on the Dragon Normandy Sherman with wading stacks, I realized again why I started with it in the first place when I resumed construction. There is so much that keeps going wrong with this one. To start with, I tried to put the tracks on the fully painted lower hull and the idler wheel fell off--- both sides!

So, back to my trusty pin vise and brass rod. Once again, I drilled holes in the respective pieces:

WIP%20M4%20Cannonball%20V.JPG

Here is the idler wheel sporting it's new 'axle', as indicated by the arrow:

WIP%20M4%20Cannonball%20VI.JPG

And finally, after being fastened into place with CA glue, this puppy is now sitting pretty in it's own tracks!

WIP%20M4%20Cannonball%20VII.JPG

Of course I had to do the same thing on the other side but those idler wheels aren't going anywhere!

Fortunately, I didn't need to do that with the other two Shermans I'm building. However, after this I decided to try some test-fitting of the rear wading stack.

Uh oh.

I shoulda known; it just ain't allowed to be easy! Dragon, I'm highly disappointed in you.

Here is what I found. The rear wading stack is too wide at the hull attachment point for the two air filter thingies to stay on. The arrows indicate where the overlap is:

WIP%20M4%20Cannonball%20VIII.JPG

My solution: I removed the air filer thingies. They can't be seen anyway when the wading stack is on. I didn't know what else to do; if I'd tried to adjust the opening of the wading stack I would've destroyed it. Oh well, onward and upward...

I added the upper/forward wading stack to the upper hull of the Sherman but not before painting the interiors of these stacks with OD. Now it is ready for it's base coat of OD.

After dealing with that, I added the P/E to the other two Shermans. Here they are:

M4A4:

WIP%20M4A4%20III.JPG

Top view to see the screen behind the turret (well, some of it! :smiley9: ):

WIP%20M4A4%20IV.JPG

And the Firefly Ic:

WIP%20M4%20Sherman%20Ic%20III.JPG

And for fun, here are all three Shermans ready for their basecoat of OD on their upper hulls:

WIP%203%20M4%20Shermans%20II.JPG

Well that's about all I have so far. I may have more to post tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned and remember to check out my Italian desert car.

Thanks for looking, comments are welcome! That includes for the Stryker and the ABM 42 as well!!