F3D Skynight pics

ghodges

This is the 1/48 Czechmaster kit I just finished. To say it had fit problems would be a gross understatement! It has a bad (and well deserved) reputation! Granted, it is buildable, but you'd have better already cut your teeth on a limited run kit, a resin kit, or a vacuform kit (or preferably ALL 3!).

100_1189.jpg

This gives you an idea of how much SIG epoxy putty it took to eliminate the 1/8" steps at the front AND back of the 3 piece canopy. The intakes weren't much better!

100_1216.jpg

100_1223.jpg

100_1206.jpg

The kit decals were used with the exception of the intake warnings. The red on the sheet is too dark, and they dont give you the "circle" around the intakes (just the V's). I darkened some Testors red, painted the red warning stripes, then cut the words from the decals and applied them to the painted stripes. Tedious, but worthwile!

100_1213.jpg

The weathering was kept to a minimum. The panel lines were done with a colored pencil, which was fast and neat! I was not impressed with the quality of the kit, but in any case, it does seem to capture the look of the Whale! Comments and critiqes welcome. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

:D Excellent work friend!. Great work with the decals and painting

Regards,

Rodolfo

Actually, I'm currently building a VACUFORM Skynight! I bought it years ago after hearing how bad the CM kit was. So far the vac kit has been no more work than the CM kit was. I should have it done in time to go to VB. But as you said, as a "relaxation exercise" I'm also building a Tamiya 1/48 P-51D Mustang 90% OOTB. Ahhhhhh.....I need to do that more often! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

I hope you took good notes as I grabbed on of these when Squadron offered them at a good discount a couple months back. I hope to get it built before I retire (17 years from now...)

WOW, Gil! And I thought I had problems with an early Accurate Miniatures SBD. A very nice bit of modeling. Truly a silk purse from a sow's ear. :smiley17: