AMT/ERTL X Wing Fighter & MPC/ERTL Tie Fighter scale?

Hi, Steve,

The best way to do this is to look up dimensioned three-view drawings in some reference book. Find a dimension on the drawing (wingspan or fuselage length would be best) that you can then measure on the model. Do a little math on your calculator. Presto, you have the scale. Well, almost. The assumption is that MPC/AMT made kits that were genuine exact miniatures of the filming models and/or had the exact same proportions as the drawing. Test this theory on as many dimensions as you can between drawing and model. You may get a range of numbers for scale, so pick one that appeals to you.

One extra thought: Convert the dimensions on the drawing to decimal inches. Measure the model in decimal inches. Divide the model decimal inches into the reference decimal inches, and the answer equals the scale.

Good luck.

Ed

Hi Ed, thanks for the reply. That was what I tried first, but after spending a bit of time googling I failed to find any dimensions, I found some drawings......but nothing that would quote any measurements. I'm sure there must be a book somewhere with detailed drawings in it, I just don't want to buy one for these kits and thought someone else here may have already run the numbers? Thanks again, I'll keep looking............