Arrgghhh, Help!

philp

All,

Need some ideas.

Finally found some time to work on the Green Lantern kit that I have had for review for a bit now. Thought I was being pretty smart in painting the base. It has a robot laying down on it so sprayed the base black and after it dryed I grabbed some liquid mask and masked off the rocky base so I could spray the robot. Was a little sloppy but figured I could cut around it and get a good line. Well, the mask started separating as I cut it so pretty much ruined that idea. Problem is now I need to remove the mask so I can hand paint the thing and it isn't cooperating. I have peeled most of it off but there is still a bit stuck in the crevices.

Does anyone know a material that will take off the masking but not attack the plastic?

Was thinking alcohol might help and I can always go the Easy Off route if I have to but would like to save the black paint if possible.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated as I know Steve would like me to get this darn thing finished.

Such liquid masks are sometimes water based. The first thing to try is the one that will harm the least, water. Try soaking it in some warm water with a little dishwashing soap. Let it sit an hour or so and then try gently scrubbing it with either a stiff paintbrush or soft toothbrush.

Just a guess, but water won't hurt anything and its worth a try.

If the base coat is enamel, try windex. Most liquid masks are latex based and the ammonia in Windex will soften it right up so you can scrub it out with a toothbrush. Windex won't affect an enamel base but it might wreck an acrylic one.

Phil - I have used "Goo Gone" in the past to do this, I have always had problems with Liquid Masks and nearly always damage paint getting it off. Nowdays I use "Silly Putty" to mask irregular shaped items [ usefull in engine compartments and Chasses where detail is molded in]. I have been able to buy the large egg shapped containers of Silly Putty at Toys-r-us and usualy buy 3 or 4 at a time. You can reuse the Silly Putty a few times untill it gets to dirty from paint. Save the "eggs" they are useful to hold small parts or for use to make "Egg" planes,cars tanks or anything your imagination comes up wth. On word of warning about removing Liquid Mask in general, always try to remove it as soon as possible and if paint is totally dry, cut around edge of Mask with a very sharp [fresh] #11 blade if possible and it will not lift other area of paint. Test the "Goo Gone" 1st just to make sure it does not damage paint. Dan

Thanks guys. I checked the bottle, it is Hobbico MasterMask and does say to try warm water. Did that and did get some off but not sure if all. Think I will try soaking a bit with the dishwashing soap. If that doesn't seem to work I will try the windex and if still an issue will see if I can find that Goo Gone.

• 3 weeks later...