My New Project - Fokker D-vi

dcaponeII

Yes that's right. I typed Fokker D-VI. About 100 were built before the definitive Fokker D-VII was produced. Here are the cutting diagrams I produced from three views of the Fokker Dr-I, the Fokker D-VI and the Fokker D-VII using a software called Paint Shop Pro. I've also included the top wing photos.fuselagecuttingmapyu6.jpg

wingcuttingguideym7.jpg

dsc04116sw3.jpg

dsc04117vr9.jpg

Looking good so far. What scale is this? The drawings are really cool. Keep us posted.

I'm using a 1/48 Eduard Fokker Dr-I and an Eduard Fokker D-VII. I picked up both of the dual combo sets specifically to do this build and still have the Dr-1 and D-VII left to build as well. As I got into the fuselage cutting I discovered that as soon as I did the rear fuselage extesion the fuselage fit exactly onto the 1/48 scale three-view. I did not therefore make the forward fuselage cut. The lower wing mounts to the rear of the Dr-I wing which takes a little engineering but its going fine so far. I'll post some pics later this morning.

I guess no one has figured out that you can go directly to the forum page even though the home page is down today. Anyway, I've got the fuselage pretty close to done with the initial construction. The first photo shows the decking transformed from the Dr-1 contour to the D-VI contour to match the three-view drawing. I glued the Dr-I middle wing into the decking to give me some additional meat to carve. You can see the steps in the grinding in the sequence and then the finished result at the bottom. The second photo shows the fuselage from the other end and gives a bit of a view into the cockpit.

dvinoseme6.jpg

dsc04132wt6.jpg

Top notch looking work! I like the D-VI because it seems to combine the superb lines of both the DR.I and the D-VII. I built the Tom's Modelworks 1/48 vacuform kit a few years ago because I didn't want to have to "trash" either the rare old Aurora kits or the expensive Dragon kits! The recent explosion of WWI kits from Eduard and Roden are a great way to fill your needs! Have you decided what markings you're going to put on this bird? Keep us in the loop! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Haven't picked an aircraft yet. I've got great color photos of a 2002 restoration of a D-VI that is primarily lozenge with the Balkenkruz on the fuselage surrounded in a black field with white stripes on either side. It also has olive green struts and cowling. It almost matches the colors described on the three-view I'm using from Gary and Stair's book entitled "Fokker Fighters of WWI". It depends on how much lozenge I have between the two kits and wether or not they match.

I finally got back to my D-VI this weekend after a hectic week getting students back to classes at the college. Before launching on the finishing steps I took the time to make sure the conversion was matching up with the three-view properly. I also decided to spray the non-lozenge colors at this time because I didn't think masking the decal material would work out so well.

dsc04133pb8.jpg

dsc04134cx7.jpg

I'm still using PSP 8.0 as I'm not one to upgrade. I always photo my builds because usually I notice problems in the photos that i miss while building. For example in the photo I posted tonite I noticed a section of decal that's folded over itself along the trailing edge. Ill have to fix that.

Can't wait to see the top wing on it. It looks from the drawings you won't have much to rig. I'm trying to finish an F2B and rigging is a major pain.

Its coming along nicely.

I couldn't live with the solid color rib tapes so I've been cutting replacements from the scrap pieces. Lots to go but I'm liking it so far. Don't know if I can finish for San Antonio but I've got other stuff to take down there this year.

dsc04143ja6.jpg

dsc04144wa7.jpg

Don, Looks like you might finish it in time for the upcoming ModelFiesta in San Antonio! Hope you bring it, done or not!