My Latest Project

Dreamsof51

This is the 1/48 scale F 84F from Kinetic Models. I built this one right out of the box. A really nice kit overall, good fit and great overall details.

DSC_5481.jpg

Sharp looking F-84F! What NMF did you use, and are those the kit markings?

GIL :smiley16:

I used the Alclad II system including the black undercoat. I shot this one and a Mig 19 with the black and had to sand both smooth as the base coat did not lay down. I've posted elsewhere about my Alclad woes. I've since either sprayed the finish on polished bare plastic or Tamiya spray can black. The decals are from the kit. They reminded me of the Hobby Boss decals in the Mirage IIIC kit I recently finished. They react to solvaset very well. at $25 this kit was a great buy. The only thing I would do different is mask the clear parts instead of free handing them. Thanks for the kind works.

Nice looking build. I've not tried Alclad II because I always think it looks a little too shiny. You've managed to tone that down a bit. Did you do anything extra over the top to bring down the shine? I still like to use the Metallizer brand of paints because I've got more experience with it.

Looks great!

You oughta try Testors Model Master Gloss Black Enamel under your Alclad II. I won't ever use anything else.

Is that the spray can type or airbrushed from a bottle.

Nice looking build. I've not tried Alclad II because I always think it looks a little too shiny. You've managed to tone that down a bit. Did you do anything extra over the top to bring down the shine? I still like to use the Metallizer brand of paints because I've got more experience with it.

I think the toned down look was from the work I had to do to the black undercoat. There is no overcoat. I like the metallizer finish but I don't like not being able to mask it for other colors and the handling it is tricky when you decal. I do use it from time to time for smaller parts and exhaust stains etc.. Each product has it place in our modeling toolboxes. Thanks for the post.

• 3 months later...
This is the 1/48 scale F 84F from Kinetic Models. I built this one right out of the box. A really nice kit overall, good fit and great overall details.

Beautiful work. You should be able to answer my question. What was the wheel well color of the Thunderstreak? Was it the same for the French exports? I'm working on one with Israeli overmarkings during the Sues crisis in '56.

Please reply off forum to julian@yudel.com Thanks.

Julian Yudelson

IPMS 4287