One More From The Duke In 2008

Hey all.

Happy New Year. Here is my only civilian vehicle that I built in 2008. I call it my "Magnum Opus"

Feel free to check out the Aircraft and Armor Forums to see all my other finished models for 2008.

Here she is, my "Magnum Opus" 1/12th scale MPC 1911 Christie Fire Truck:

1911%20Christie%20Fire%20Truck%20I.jpg

Thanks for looking. I appreciate all comments and I hope to see you also in my other Threads.

Thanks guys! Glad you like it.

Chuck, I'd say total building time was about three or four months, averaging 10-12 hours per week on it. I had set it aside for several months because it was getting a bit overwhelming. Then, on another Forums I frequent, someone started a "Just Finish It" Group Build wherein you took a partially assembled model that had been languishing on the bench for 6 months or more and "just finished it" by the end of that month. This way, I was able to get it done in January last year.

The main issues are the cleanup of many parts, especially the chrome parts; and the decals. I had the original AMT boxing of this model and the AMT decals were quite difficult to put on. One recommendation I have: If there are indicators in a step that show that decals need to be put on, then put them on at the end of that assembly step! After the model is finished, quite a few decals will not be able to be put on because of all the other parts in the way if you wait.

If you'd like, I still have many of my 'in-progress' photos and more photos of the finished model if you'd like to see them.

I hope this helps. Thanks again for the compliments.

Sounds good. Here are the nine best pics showing my progress. This first one is the front radiator and chassis assembly.

WIP%201911%20Christie%20VI.jpg

Here is the closeup of the engine:

WIP%201911%20Christie%20VIII.jpg

This is all the red parts after I painted them all gloss red. I figured it was the best way to do it.

WIP%201911%20Christie%20III.jpg

The engine and driver's seat all test fiott together on the forward chassis:

WIP%201911%20Christie%20XVI.jpg

Here it is with the main tank attached, waiting for all the extra details.

WIP%201911%20Christie%20XVII.jpg

Here is where I added the decals to the main frame. They would not be able to be put on later:

WIP%201911%20Christie%20XVIII.jpg

Here it is: Driver's station installed and pumps and manifold are installed:

WIP%201911%20Christie%20XXIIIa.jpg

Close up of the pumps and manifold:

WIP%201911%20Christie%20XXIIIb.jpg

And finally here it was just before I put on the final detail parts, hose hangers and brass parts:

WIP%201911%20Christie%20XXIX.jpg

After that, it was done.

I hope these help. Enjoy.

I recall seeing pictures of the finished project on the old forum. It was extremely impressive then, as it is now! The progress photos really help us understand how much work goes into the details on an automotive subject. There's not much you can do with the plated tank that has visible seams where the half pieces join unless you strip the original plating, assemble the tank, fix the seam, and then give it the Alclad treatment. As an OTB build, you lose the flavor of the original rare kit if you rebuild it with aftermarket parts and finishes (OK, all paint is aftermarket). Fantastic model! :smiley32:

Ed

Thank you Ed. I am glad I was able to show all that is involved, particularly in this case. One reason I left the seam on the top of the boiler tank is because the reference photos a friend sent of the actual truck shows that the seam on the top part of the boiler tank is very prominent. But you are right. I did strip much of the chrome off of the rest of the parts and re-shot it all with Chrome Silver paint. That was tough. I did enjoy building this OOB, and wouldn't think of adding any other a/m details to it.

I do have to add: this was the first model that ever frightened me when I opened the box, due to the number of parts inside the box! The only other kit to do that was Tamiya's 1/350 scale USS Enterprise.

Thanks again for the wonderful comments.

Mark, I'm a fan of your work...but, this outdoes it all! By far, the most excellent model you've posted. I really like it...Magnum Opus, indeed!

Thanks James! I agree. This was the first model that actually frightened me when I opened the box. I'm glad I overcame my fears because it is magnificent. We had a model display in the Buena Park Library awhile back and the local newspaper had taken pics of the models on display. One pic used on the front page announcing the display was my Christie fire truck. In the pic, it looked so realistic, one guy came down looking for the full-sized one! He was even more astounded when he saw the model.

Thanks again for the great compliment!