Borg Cube WIP...

DrRockso

Do you have an estimate how much your cube weighs at this point and if only half way, how much do you think it will weigh in the end? I would guess all that sprue is mounting up towards being a real armload to handle.

Also, on behalf of the IPMS Make 'N Take program, I want to thank you for your donations as you promised. We are very greatful you thought of the program as a benificiary for your generosity.

Im actually surprised that its not heavier. I would guess it cant be more than 5 pounds. But thats a guess. I do lug the thing back and forth from my house to my garage for painting and its not bad.

When I say that its halfway done I dont mean that Im gonna double the amount of sprue on it. Just that I would estimate that Im halfway thru the build. Besides alot of the stuff I plan to put on from now on will be smaller lighter things.

The donations were nothing compared to the amount of Sprue I got. So its no problem. I never could have gotten this far without it... Plus if I say Im gonna do something if I get a certain amount of Sprue and then I get 2-3 times more. I feel I should at least try to live up to my end.

Edited by DrRockso

Small update... I started adding some detail pieces. Hand-Rails and Stair-Rails from model trains (red) and some Plastruct beams (yellow) to break up the standard Sprue. They Really help. I have identified these parts in the original Cube so they go a long way towards making it look authentic. I have 5 of each type on each side so far but plan on adding more. Another thing I need to do is add a lot of Photo-Etched Brass but that stuff is expensive. Z_Borg03a.jpg

Z_Borg02a.jpg

Z_Borg04.jpg

Edited by DrRockso

Matt, any way you can edit the title and have this moved to the Sci-Fi forum (call it Borg Cube WiP or something along those lines)? It's an interesting project that may get passed by sci-fi modelers (or anyone else) who doesn't have leftover sprues.

RGronovius,

If a mod wants to do that its ok with me. I was also thinking the title of the thread didnt match what I was doing anymore.

I dont know how to move it or rename it but if a mod wants to do that its fine...

So I asked a mod and they got this thread moved to a more relavant sub-forum. Got alot of work this week so I wont have too much time. But I have some more detail pieces on order and coming in a few days...

Edited by DrRockso

every time i see this thing i keep hearing the borg saying resistance is futile, we will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

No particular scale. But the overall size is 20 inches by 20 inches. Some of the model railroad parts I have used are HO scale tho.

I plan on getting some work done on it this weekend tho. Finally have some time off...

Does anyone know of a cheap way to make photo etched brass? Or possibly to make fake PE brass? For what I need it for it doesnt need to be made from brass. It could just be very thin styrene or even a plastic film. So it could be fake or just a look-a-like...

Here's an idea: ask all these guys here who do Photo-etch on a regular basis for some of their photo-etch sprue that is leftover after they've removed the P/E parts. You might get quite a bit of metal there for this.

So guys, who's got some spare metal sprues for Matt?

I didnt really want to ask for another donation. Especially considering the stuff is pretty expensive. I was thinking about trying to print some images of PE brass onto some thin styrene or plastic. Then cutting out as much as I can with an exacto knife. But Im not sure if my printer will print onto styrene. If I cannot get that to work then I would ask for used PE brass sprue.

Again, you must ask your question in the proper forum. Folks who aren't the least interested in your Borg cube, but know all about making your own photo etch may never see the question because it is buried in the bowels of a multi-page WiP thread.

I suggest you ask this question in the General Modeling forum or Tips & Techniques forum with a title that will attract the attention of someone who knows the answer (like "How to make your own PE?"). You are more likely to get the information you need than a hidden here.

Again, you must ask your question in the proper forum. Folks who aren't the least interested in your Borg cube, but know all about making your own photo etch may never see the question because it is buried in the bowels of a multi-page WiP thread.

I suggest you ask this question in the General Modeling forum or Tips & Techniques forum with a title that will attract the attention of someone who knows the answer (like "How to make your own PE?"). You are more likely to get the information you need than a hidden here.

Micro Mark sells a do-it-yourself photo etch kit. I design and sell photo etch as kits and for my model kits. Unfortunately photo etch is pretty expensive, so you may not find many folks willing to give up their stash of extra parts for free.

Just my opinion.

Got some updated pics. I've added quite a bit to the right side and top. I am trying to get a little negative space on the top and sides where it looks like wire without anything behind it..

.IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

image22.jpgIMG_0841.jpg

Didnt you know? The borg are made in Korea... and China... and the USA. A little bit from everywhere...

All kidding aside. Im not gonna worry about sanding off numbers or any words in the sprue til I get near the end. If I end up adding another layer it might get buried anyway...

This is a pic of a lighting test I did. I just wanted to see how it would look so I didnt bother covering up the back to prevent spillage onto the wall behind. Im using some christmas lights for now but I plan on getting some LED's and hooking them up to a switch...

IMG_0911.jpg

I would have to say... and Im just guessing because I dont have a working bathroom scale. I would say its no more than 10 pounds max. The top and both sides are pretty well done, except for some detail pieces and detail painting. But I dont have anything on the bottom except foam painted black. I still intend to hang it flush on a wall with the lighting rigged up so I can flip a switch to turn it on.

Overall I would say that its lighter than it looks tho...