Borg Cube WIP...

DrRockso

Hi guys,

Im new here. I just registered so I could ask this question...

Basically Im looking into building a Borg Cube and I need old used Sprue trees leftover. I have called most of my local hobby shops and none of them have anything. So is there anyone here who has alot of it and would like to sell?

Thanks

/Matt

Edited by DrRockso

I'll make you an offer you cannot refuse....unless you have all that you need. At our Chapter's April meeting I will have all our members bring their excess sprue to the meeting. I will send it to you if........

You make a $10 or more donation to the Make & Take Program.........and I will match whatever donation you make.........

Mike George

IPMS Gateway Chapter Contact

Is there any way to get in contact with Mike George? He's been offline for the last few days and I wanted to talk to him before he had his club meeting...

Edited by DrRockso

• 2 weeks later...

Ive decided to start a twitter page to document the building of the Borg Cube. I believe you can find it by Matt N. @theborgproject I will be using the twitter account to post updates and just general info on what I'm doing and what I want to do. Feel free to follow along and even post questions or suggestions.

Thanks

Matt

Just to let everyone here know. Ive started a Twitter and Facebook account to document the whole process of building a Cube. For twitter its Matt N. @theborgproject and for Facebook its Matt Ne @theborgproject. Be sure to like me on Facebook. Its important that Im liked...

Right now Im in the initial stages of constructing the cube and underlying framework. I do have a small amount of used sprue donated by someone. And Ive also bought a few models just for the project. But Im always looking for more. Since its gonna take ALOT.

So if you wanna see whats going on come follow me on Twitter/Facebook. I may eventually drop the Twitter account because its a little constricting trying to describe everything Im doing in 140 characters or less...

Matt

Hi, Matt,

I choose not to participate in Twitter and Facebook, so I guess I will not be seeing your construction progress updates. Post a few pictures here on the DF occasionally so the few of us who are anti-social can follow along. What are the dimensions for this cube?

Best of luck with your build.

Ed

Cool idea! If you need more sprue , PM me, I have several large boxes you can have for the cost of shipping it all.

I will post a few pics here soon. I dont really do FB/Twitter either but someone recommended it as a way to have my own home base so I could document the process. Im sure I will mess something up as this is my FIRST build of any kind. Well I did do 1 or 2 snap-together models when I was in high school. But thats it...

This is about where Im at. I have the frame with the wiremesh to use to tie things in and for extra strength. I also started with the borg pattern in a VERY crude way with just extra foamboard and floral wire which I used to tie it all down and as part of the look. But, most of this will end up being covered up one way or another...

I have painted it all a flat black since I took these pics and even taped a few of them off and did some grey with a light coat of black over it to blend it. But I have to go and get some proper airbrush paints for the rest of the project.

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

Tonight I plan on starting the covering up of most of this... And thats why I'm always asking for Sprue. I have had a couple guys offer Sprue and Ive even offered to pay the shipping with paypal. But they always end up just disappearing and not sending anything... Oh well. I have had 1 guy so far donate 1 box of very greatly appreciated Sprue. But I am always looking for more...

Edited by DrRockso

I have a few more pics. I have started to add stuff to the base. Basically just large pieces to form the bottom most layer. Once I get about 70-80% of it covered then I can start with the smaller sprue trees. IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

Latest shot of the cube in its "hero" pose... Its finally starting to look like a Borg Cube...

Arw8UMwCAAEZ2oc.jpg

Keep in mind that most of this is gonna get covered up. But before that Im thinking that I should highlight the higher areas in a lighter grey while leaving the shallowest and deepest parts black. Then start to cover it in Sprue Trees...

Edited by DrRockso

Here is an updated pic for those that dont use twitter or facebook...

I gave it a coat of paint to make it look nice and pretty. I think Im almost ready to start with the Sprue. Just a little more of the larger stuff then Im gonna start glueing actual sprue on and layering it...

borg1.jpg

Edited by DrRockso

I'm loving this! You've come up with a brilliant way to make one of these! I agree, highlight the raised parts in a lighter grey before covering them in sprue. That'll really add depth to this!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update pic. Does anyone know what is the best way to paint the glue without painting everything else? Airbrush with masking tape? A regular art brush? Not being so sloppy?

As_IoR3CQAAO52P.jpg

Hi, Matt,

Does your "cube" actually consist of only two of the six sides? The backgrounds show up in the open cutouts, which leads to the conclusion that what we see is what there is. Regardless, you have a great start going here.

Ed

ewahl...

Actually it has 4 sides. There is the top and bottom, but I was gonna do them at the end. That way I wont have to set it on Sprue and risk breaking it as I work on it. Also, as for the cutouts, I plan on mostly covering them up with sprue so they wont look like just squares I cut out. And then when Im done I plan on using some LED's or other lights to try and shine thru creating the effect like seen on the real cube.

Thanks for the questions. And thanks Mark for the kind words...

I have some updated pics. Got a good start on the general sprue. Trying to keep both sides even and build it up. I'm starting to run low on my actual sprue but Im waiting for a large box from Mike George so hopefully that should be enough to finish.

Right side...

rite.jpg

Left side...

leff.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I updated on my progress. This pic is of the right side. I still have a lot to go before I'll be happy with it.

Its finally getting so that you can barely make out whats underneath. And I do need to do some more airbrushing to touch up the latest round of glue and also give it a trim so it looks a little more random.

.AuXacy5CAAI2-Vr.jpg

Edited by DrRockso

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I wanted to give an update for anyone not following me on twitter or facebook. I think I need to give it a little "sprue cut" because some of it is a little too squarish. So Im gonna trim out some pieces to make it more random, then I can start adding some detail pieces.

IMG_0797.jpg

Edited by DrRockso