Magach3 w/ERA Shelf Queen No More!!!

Mark Aldrich

The Urban Dictionary defines a "Shelf Queen" as a...A (usually) antique item, such as a clock, radio, sewing machine, spinning wheel, tool,car parts, etc, that may or may not work, kept strictly as a display item. More often than not the item does not work but the owner has no intention of repairing it, it just sits there. If it is sometimes used and is not strictly a decoration it is NOT a shelf queen.

By this definition, I have no "Shelf Queens"! However, I do have two models that have spent more time in the closet than on my bench. This weekend, I pulled this one out and actually got a lot assembled and attached.

:Smile_sceptic:

100_4446.jpg

100_4447.jpg

100_4448.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Like Gil, and I suspect many others, I've got started Shelf Queens over a quarter century old. Probably the oldest kit is an M2 Bradley I started while in college around 1987 waiting to get on active duty (I took a couple of undergrad courses after graduation so I could stay in the dorms and still work at my local job). I built both the M3 and M2 versions, but never got around to finishing the infantry version. Today, it sits in a box half built. To be fair though, it was left at my parents home when I left for active duty in 1987 and only retrieved in 2004 when I was stationed near by and knew they were getting ready to move to Fla the next year.

Any way, is your Magach supposed to represent an M48A3 as used by the Israelis? I thought we kept most of the A3s we made, but I'm not too familiar with IDF M48s.

In the late 60s the Israelis received German M48A1s and 2s initially with some coming from the US as well and while they were upgrading their Cents, they did it for their M48s. These were upgraded to the A3 engine configuration and 105mm gun. Then in early 73 the US outright sold them large quantities of armor to include A3s and A5s. The ERA equipped M48s were either not used long or the crews didn't have cameras or some other unknown reason there is not a lot of photgraphic evidence of these beasts out there. Lucklily, Latrun has a cut in half one that has been upgraded with the ERA package. My biggest mistake is the two outboard packs. They really need to be tucked up farther on the upper hull but to do so would mean removing the lights and mounts, fender supports and fender mounting nubs. not something I even wanted to consider.

Photo Courtesy of Michael Mass....

Magach3front.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Had to make some turret ERA corrections (Legend goofed) and while at the Seattle Show I picked up a Lion Roar .50 cal barrel (Hope I do it justice) and the figures I plan to add to it.

Bravo6Tankers.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the base coat and some wash started. Also did the crew serve weapons and some stowage.

100_4610.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Almost finished! Needs stowage, MGs and the Commander (groan)!!!

100_4833.jpg

That looks superb already; I'd be calling it done myself, but then, I always build OOB since I don't add stowage. This is awesome Mark, you can do it!

Thanks Duke! I kinda hosed myself on this one! I have no idea why I opened the Commanders hatch. But I still would have added stowage regardless. I actually enjoy (most of the time) adding the stuff to give it a "lived-in" look. The issue is I wait until I am this far along to decided what and where I want to put it. Which means, other than 5 water cans and a tow cable, none of it has been chosen or painted yet.

Edited by Mark Aldrich

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Thanks a lot! I am glad it turned out as nice as it did considering all the mix matched pieces I used.

I have to pile on with the praise too...that's some top-notch workmanship! Excellent assembly of all the resin, superb looking paint and finish, just enough weathering to look operational, and the figures are crisply done too! Hope to see this one in Orlando!

GIL :smiley16:

Fantastic job Mark. As an airplane modeler, I was impressed with the add-ons and then finally, all of the great shading and weathering. Really, really well done.

Thanks Gil and Claire! Now I have to force myself to try and finish my other shelf queen! The IDF PUMA!!!!! Gil, sorry I am only bringing my double dog dare P-40.