M706 THE UNEXPECTED

ajlafleche

Here is Hobbyboss’ 1/35 M706 Commando armored car in Vietnam.

I used the Squadron image in Armor in Vietnam

pic20001.jpg

as a basis for exterior modifications detailing this and interior images from Osprey’s V100/M706 book and Warwheels to further detail interior. I added Eduard’s PE set and Legend’s weighted wheels which have the correct sidewall embossing. The .50 is from Academy and its mount is a spare from an Academy M113. The ammo is plastic from the spares box. The M60’s are from Dragon and are mounted on modified M151 pintles with brass rod supports. The M60 ammo is PE from an unknown source and their boxes are modified resin castings, again, from an unknown source. I used Superscale’s registration and unit numbers. The name on the front is from the Verlinden V100 resin kit. Several of the doors have added padding made from sheet stock and anti skid sections on inner surfaces are home made decals. The distinctive white stripe down the mid-line is a strip of decal cut to size. The figure is Verlinden.

I know there is some controversy as to whether this vehicle ever had the armament depicted in the Squadron book. My goal was to replicate that image.

DSCF1953.jpg

DSCF1954.jpg

DSCF1972.jpg

DSCF1974.jpg

DSCF1971.jpg

DSCF1975.jpg

DSCF1970.jpg

DSCF1973.jpg

DSCF1967.jpg

DSCF1958.jpg

DSCF1966.jpg

DSCF1969.jpg

DSCF1964.jpg

DSCF1961.jpg

Great job Al! :m1helmet: And, I'm glad to see WarWheels was useful to you.

If you would like me to put pics on WW, let me know. I'll be glad to do so!

Patrick, feel free to use the pics as you see fit.

Cool beans. Of course I'll give you full credit. I normally provide name, hometown/state and country. Is that ok? If not, let me know how you'd like me to credit you.

Al - I have always liked this Armored Car and although I have a few of the Hobby Boss kits I have not had a chance to build one. After seeing this that will have to change! I spotted these all the time in Vietnam and actually got to see a few of them in full action- very impresive. Here is a photo of a ARVN Military Police unit, not sure of the actual model, but year was 1973 [ I worked for VNAF in Soc Trang that year]. Oops, Sorry I cannot figure out how to attach a photo in this "reply to this topic" screen. I will do seperate post? Dan King