What ONE Model Must You Build in 2012?

ewahl

Sorry, I'm a bit late in asking this question for 2012. You may have already completed the model in your reply by this time in mid-March. At least you can brag about it next year when we revisit your choices.

While I have many options from which to select, I'm going to list completion of my 1/35 Discovery Pod Bay Diorama from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Ed

I've started with a goal of building a couple of particular models, especially for the Nats in Orlando. However, due to procrastination in past years on models I just HAD to get built, I've learned that I can live with those disappointments. I schedule models to build, and then build anything that strikes my fancy at the moment!

That said.....I do hope to build my 1/48 P-3 Orion, a Hellcat diorama I've been planning for years, and maybe even attempt my first full scratchbuild project. All of them cannot be tackled until after I build myself a new, BIGGER display case, which is on the agenda for the next 30 days!

GIL :smiley16:

Ten years ago, I won a 1/16th scale Tamiya full R/C Tiger 1 kit in a random online drawing. I set it aside as my retirement project. Well, I am retired now and think I should finally get around to building this beast.

Ventura, 48th scale. I was on a tear of finishing a model roughly every two weeks only six months ago, which had lasted about four or five years. But ever since losing my job, getting a new one, getting worked like never before at the new one, moving to a new place, new girlfriend.... I'm off pace. But the Ventura is a kit I've been showering wish-lists with for years, and I will finish one this year.

Two I have to do:

1) 1/72 Mustang for a group entry in Orlando

2) WnW Fe2B early

And then there are a couple that I have to FINISH that started last year, and a few more that will need to get done this year, but those two are the MUST builds this year.

Two I have to do:

1) 1/72 Mustang for a group entry in Orlando

2) WnW Fe2B early

And then there are a couple that I have to FINISH that started last year, and a few more that will need to get done this year, but those two are the MUST builds this year.

Mike,

Did I MISS something????? Not seeing an ARMOR piece listed anywhere in your post!!!

:Smile_sceptic:

Mike,

Did I MISS something????? Not seeing an ARMOR piece listed anywhere in your post!!!

Nope you didn't miss anything. I've already done my armor entry in the Double Dog Dare. Granted, I still have to replace the wheels with more appropriate smooth balloon types, but that's an easy fix, so essentially, the Aerosan is done. And before you start yipping about it not having treads, I seem to recall that wheeled vehicles used by military forces are entered as armor at IPMS events.

Now, I am HOPING to also have a T-34 done for Nats, but that's going to be a long shot... :Smile-tongue:

Mike,

Whatever!!!! haha.....I might as well finish my P-40 as a Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow and enter it in the Hypothetical again!!! NOT!!!

That would be one heck of a rigging project. Post up pix of it when you get done, i'd love to see it!

Tell me about it. Three bays of double flying wires, PLUS the booms. I'm not sure what I was thinking....

Mike,

Whatever!!!! haha.....I might as well finish my P-40 as a Sky Captain and the world of tomorrow and enter it in the Hypothetical again!!! NOT!!!

Aw, com'on Mark, the reference I used for the build was from Tankograd for crying out loud. The only speculative aspect of the model is that the exterior is "unfinished". In other words, the body is in bare wood and the front ARMORED panel is in bare metal.

As far as finishing your P-40 in a Sky Captain scheme and entering it in the Hypothetical category, go for it! Nothing in the terms of the DDD precludes a hypothetical build. Only that you build an aircraft for entry, and I build an armor piece for entry...

Mike,

Hopefully you do realize I am only ribbing you! Nope, gonna finish it the way I wanted! It won't stand a snowballs chance but I will be happy with it (or maybe fed up with it). It has been another learning experience so far. Things I have learned......

1. Never trust Legends.

2. Airscale make some great instrument dial faces.

3. Though the center wing "bulge" may be wrong, it looks good to me and my wing to fueslage joint has almost no gaps.

4. The dehydrial may be wrong (yeah....like a TreadHead cares) it looks fine.

5. True details makes a nice set of diamond tread wheels and after market cockpit set.

Things still to learn.......

1. Placement and style of wing mounted MGs.

2. Placement of wing mounted antennas.

3. Correct location (or as close as possible) of brake line.

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Of COURSE I know you're ribbing me...just like I am you.

Don't worry too much about accurate dihedral. As long as there is some, and it's symmetrical, you'll be fine. Legends, like many resin companies can indeed be hit and miss. Google should be your friend as far as the wing guns and brake lines go. Or, tell me which variant it is you're building, and I can probably manage to scan some pictures for you.

Google is a crock!!! Or I should say.....other websites are.....I ran P-40B warhawk cockpit as a picture search.....The first 30 pictures were P-40 late (no .50 cal recievers in the cockpit) and even some P-39s. The only gripe I had about Legends was assuming that the cockpit set they said would work would. I should be good on the guns. Haven't tried looking for the antenna wing mount spots yet but I am sure I can find some.

• 2 weeks later...

The LAST commission build I will ever do. THis thing became a s%^* magnet for Murphy's Law. But it's done. And only three months late.

B-1B48thHeeter-31mar123.jpg

Looks great to me! But, I do understand what you mean. When you HAVE to build something it just sucks all the fun out of building models! The money is nice, but you have to be willing to work to do it, 'cause building something on commision is NOT a hobby!

GIL :smiley16: