Revell SNJ-5

WildBill50

CIMG0621.jpg

CIMG0618.jpgCIMG0622.jpgCIMG0619.jpg

Here is the Revell SNJ-5 kit painted up in the unique paint scheme of Basic Training Unit Two, Corry Field, Pensacola Complex 1952. This scheme was one of several tested for high visual acuity in the training areas.

This is also a plane that my friend flies on the airshow circuit. My family went to the Waukegon Airshow last October to see him fly. I was able to take a bunch of pictures of the plane and also was able to get my daughter a ride in it. That was something she'll never forget.

The model was put together pretty much out of the box. The paint scheme is MM Auminum metalizer along with Glossy Sea Blue Enamel. The interior was painted Dark gull Grey with yellow chromate scuffs here and there. I added some seat belts to round out the interior. I used all sorts of decals to provide the correct "N" number and serial number. Decals from railroad sheets, a 1/32nd F-14 and a 1/48th F-8 were also used. This was alot of fun for me to build as I am going to be giving it to my friend as a "thank you" for taking my daughter for the ride.

For more info on this aircraft and the airshow routine it performs go to: WWW.flyawarbird.com

While painting the wing of it I got some blotchy areas on the blue paint and had some orange peel. I tried taking off the paint with lacquer thinner which promptly ate through the paint and also the plastic. As I completely destroyed the wing, there was little to do but start anew. I E-mailed Revell customer service and ordered a whole new 3 piece wing. The parts came within 3-4 days and I was back on track. Lesson learned. That was the only hiccup in the build. The fit of the model was fantastic and the detail is exceptional. Overall I'd rate this build as ***** stars.

Hope you like it.

Nicely done, I think you replicated the airshow plane very well. Is it the old Monogram kit? I think I built it a long time ago in Miller Beer markings. I'll have to search eBay to see if I can confirm this though. Found it, if it is the same model, I liked building it back then.

$(KGrHqN,!g8E8fZJ49+yBPU9JyRMJ!~~60_57.JPG

Tis one in the same. I also built it back in the day when it first came out. I don't even remember which version it was. I put different marking on that one also.

I think back when i had built this kit, compared to all the other 1/48 scale WW2 prop planes Monogram did that I built, like the Avenger, Kingfisher, P-40, P-51, P-39, Dauntless, etc., it was easily the best of the bunch in terms of fit, detail, construction. It's nice to know it's still available.