Great Models Webstore sold to Sprue Brothers!

RickC5

Take a look at "The Latest News" on the left side--

http://spruebrothers.com/

Darn! Just when I had found a good reason to make the drive to SLC and now it all gets moved. Shucks.

Edited by RickC5

I will miss them -- GMW has been my main supplier since they opened in the late 90's and the number of problems is maybe a couple and the number of unresolved problems is zero. I like their newsletter, their search engine, their varied stock, and Loic's quirky enthusiasm. I really liked it in the old days when I could just stack up purchases (on Loic's inventory dollar) then hit the ship button when had built up enough to get free shipping ....

I acknowledge Sprue Bros reputation, and have shopped there, but I find them just a webstore with no personality. I do not like their search engine -- it is not friendly if one is "browsing" for a project. And I think they are too aircraft/armor focused.

I will try them out, but unless something happens to change my impressions, I'll just find other places to shop.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area where there is still a good local hobby shop. Their support of our IPMS chapter and other local organizations makes the nominally higher cost worth it to me. Like most other brick and mortar stores, they may eventually be forced out of existence by the internet, in which case I will give Sprue brothers a try because they have a great reputation for speedy delivery. Until then, I'm going to stick with the old-fashioned system where I can browse the shelves and have my new kit in hand only seconds after making my choice.

III acknowledge Sprue Bros reputation, and have shopped there, but I find them just a webstore with no personality. I do not like their search engine -- it is not friendly if one is "browsing" for a project...

I agree with John 100% about Sprue Brothers' website; searching for products is non-user friendly compared to other companies. In fact, I rarely shop with SB due to their website useability. Now, if they improve their website to the quality of GMW's, then they have a winner!

I rarely did business with Great Models, in fact, I called them "Wait Models". It seems like every time I ordered from them it would take forever and the order wouldn't be fully completed because items the website listed as "on hand and in stock" weren't on hand or in stock. I then had to re-order the out-of-stock items from Squadron (or someone else) and pay for shipping again. It would have been cheaper in the long run to order (and receive) everything from just one place. Their prices may have been 50 cents to a dollar cheaper per item, but having to pay shipping to two different stores negated any savings I got from ordering from them.

I know they have improved greatly in the past few years, but first impressions are hard to overcome and they have never been my "go to" store. The last time I ordered from them in September during their end-of-summer discount sale, for some reason the discount didn't apply to my order ($60+). I contacted their customer service and they gave me a store credit for the discount amount, but now I have to order something again (and pay for shipping again) to use that credit. I mean, where's the savings if I have to spend another $10 for shipping to use a $6 store credit?

I've ordered several times from Sprue Brothers, normally just an item or two on sale, I've never placed a large order with them, but they've always come through with quick shipping and it's always been the right item. Although when you're ordering just an item or two, it's kind of hard to mess that up.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area where there is still a good local hobby shop. Their support of our IPMS chapter and other local organizations makes the nominally higher cost worth it to me. Like most other brick and mortar stores, they may eventually be forced out of existence by the internet, in which case I will give Sprue brothers a try because they have a great reputation for speedy delivery. Until then, I'm going to stick with the old-fashioned system where I can browse the shelves and have my new kit in hand only seconds after making my choice.

We have two pretty good hobby shops here in the Kalamazoo area. I find that both are willing to order models or supplies that I need. It may take a few days but I find that the cost is competitive with internet sites when you consider the handling and shipping costs.