White Ensign Paints

Hanson

I'm new to using the White Ensign paints. Any suggestions on the bet thinner, and how much to use for airbrushing?

Thanks.

For what its worth, treat them just like Humbrol. They are really good paints.

I've never used Humbrol, either. :unsure:

Try them sometime, if you can. They are excellent paints with incredible shelf life. I have some that are years old that after a quick stir, are just as good as new. Their only problem is they come in the little tinlets that are a pain to pour from just like the WE paints.

WEM recommends a good quality mineral spirits, not lacquer thinner.

WEM recommends a good quality mineral spirits, not lacquer thinner.

I've used both. but the low grade Laq requires less thinner and gives a good bite on resin. What ever works for you.

You can read more on MWS forum.

http://www.shipmodel...Thinner&start=0

Also see review here:

http://www.steelnavy.com/wem_colourcoats.htm

Edited by sumterIII

• 9 months later...

Humbrol paints, esp. white and some other light colors, are good but they yellow with age. Keep that in mind.

I use mineral spirits and lacquer thinner. Mineral spirits may lay down a little better for gloss finishes but both worjk. I use their WWII Kriegsmarine colors exclusively on subs and they are awesome

Dave

• 3 months later...

Am not finding WEM paints available from the usual suspects. The WEM website says the mail won't ship it. Am getting some 'negative waves' here, regarding postal regulations-creep.

Where can I get WEM paint...?

Guest PetrolGator

No where, if you live in the States. John said the Royal Mail was confiscating shipments due to the ingredients in enamel paint. If you do ships, I suggest going to ModelMaster's new acrylic line. They picked up the awesome PolyScale paints and have excellent matches for USN 5-O, 5-L, and especially 20-B deck blue.

Check the modelwarships board. John said he'd let people know when/if he had a workaround.

Beware the new "green" pseudo-mineral spirits. They are NOT the same and do not react the same. Stick to the old formulas if you use them as the new stuff is unpredictable.

• 1 month later...

MidTennhobbies.com has stocked White Ensign Colourcoats for several years. For the last few months our supply dwindled due to the carrier issues in the U.K. Recently we've made arrangements for our shipper to pick up the paint at White Ensign, and our first major re-stock arrived today, 5 June. Sales are rapid due to pent-up demand, but supply should be much more regular now. COLOURCOATS.

Jack