Female modelers

bignuggets

I asked this question on another forum and got quite a few responses. Why don't we see any female modelers? Are there any in this forum? I know a few that paint figures but thats all.

Alan (Bignuggets)

I've seen at most a handful at shows and on model forums over the last 30 years. Just as there are many more modelers out there than seen at shows and on line., I'm sure more females build models than we think. However, when you look for them where WE are, that means they'd have to habituate areas that are predominently male, and females are wary about that no matter WHAT it involves.

Frankly, it doesn't bother me. The demographic is what it is, and I don't feel bad about it, have no desire to attract women to model building, and understand that somethings are "guy" things while others are not. It may just be a perception...but most of the time perception IS reality! Just my two sheckles worth....

Gil :smiley16:

For the same reason we don't see many men knitting.

There is a female hobby shop owner where I live, and she's a great person and a hell of a builder, but she is the exception to the rule around here.

There are always one or two female modelers on other forums I belong to, except missing lynx. My daughters used to build when they were younger pre-teens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think it's prolly the nature of IPMS being predominately a military model based org.

Over at The Clubhouse, where it's mostly GK figures, there are a number of women modelers.

A few years ago, I was in a model store, and in the next aisle was two teenage girls discussing the merits of the Merkava vs an upgunned T-62. One girl said she was really a Sheridan fan, but as the two of them were building for a middle-east theme, she said that would not work.

I was stunned, but I agree, I think there are some out there.

We actually have several here in the Great Northwest and all are incredible painters!

I should have said three instead of two in my response above. Also, we have a forth female member in the wings. One thing that we do at our annual contest is to include "Best Model by a Female Modeler" as one of our special awards. More often than not, the winner has also collected a trophy with their model. It has been going on for several years and has seemed to bring out a number of great entrants every year.

As a matter of fact, we were not sure if we could hold a contest this year due to no room being available at the Air Zoo. The daughter of one of the members complained about it and volunteered to help set it up and run it. She wanted to be able to enter the Female special award. It might work in other areas.

My daughter did a few when she was younger, even taking a 1st and 2nd at Nats (OC) which is still something I am trying to duplicate :blink:

There is a lady in Colorado that does motorcycles and does them extremely well.

Mish over on Britmodeller does all kinds of things.

Several over on Starship Modeler including April who has been converting Star Trek ships for years.

So, yes, they are out there but again, just may not be around here that much.

Well, our treasurer is a female and a modeler. In fact she is more prolific a modeler than her husband (sorry dude).

Here in Region 5 in the 90s we had an excellent woman modeler, but her name escapes me. She was in the Air Guard and built some breathtaking superdetailed modern fighters and won many an award. I also was at a National about 6 or so years ago and when picking up my model, I noticed a lovely lady picking up her model, a ship. It had a big plaque and I said your husband did well. She smiled and said that was my model. Sheepishly I congradulated her. Man or woman, the ship was very nice.

I'm a woman and been modeling since I was 7. I wish there were more of us out there. I do armor,aircraft,and figures.IMHO, I think IPMS should reach out to attract women to the hobby.

One of the Movers/Shakers in the Central Arkansas Chapter is a young lady. I believe she is the President of the Chapter (not sure) and also directs their annual show or plays a major role in its planning and execution.

Well as one of the 3 female members Of Kalamazoo and a past president, and the one who wanted the best female modeler award to begin with. There are quite a few female modelers, we cover a wide range of interest. I focus on aircraft, anything that can be painted pink.I actually came to the hobby late actually around age 35 after my divorce from my first husband, he is a modeler, our son is a modeler and my present husband is a modeler. I need to get something finished for Nats next month.

Mandie

Yes you do..and I've got to finish that Hobbycraft B-36 I'm building in the ManCave across the hall from the Lady's Lair.

Steve Nelson (aka Mr. Mandie)

IPMS#30925