Tape residue- removing it without killing the paint job.

I was removing some blue painter's tape after completing a painting job on current project, and much to my chagrin, the tape left a sticky residue on those areas that were masked over. I either had to find a safe way to remove the residue or I would have to strip down the parts and start the entire painting process again.

The problem, of course, would be to find a "sticky stuff remover" that would not harm the Tamiya TS-14 rattle can paint, which was "protected" by the mask. I also wanted to protect the Alclad Chrome, which was sprayed over the TS-14, but which was not underneath the aforementioned sticky tape residue.

I tried Isopropyl alcohol. While it did not react to the Tamiya or Alclad paint it also did not do a very good job in removing the tape residue. I then tried Goo Gone. It did not react to the Tamiya paint at all. I applied it with a very small micro brush and after letting it sit for about a minute, I removed it using a pipe cleaner. While I did not notice any damage to the Alclad paint I was very careful to avoid contact between the Goo Gone and the Alcald-painted surfaces.

In any case it appears that a long and tedious paint job was resusitated without damage. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

Yeah, I was going to suggest Goo Gone. I've never had a problem with it lifting paint, but I get rid of alot of other residue with it. I'm glad everything worked out okay.

I've had success using a cotton swab or cotton pad ( the kind chicks use for makeup removal) very lightly dampened with Windex or equivalent window cleaner. I have not trashed a paint job yet but I foolishly tried this method to remove residue from a canopy that had been dipped in future. The result was no so good. I ended up having to re-dip the canopy, fortunately I had not painted the frame yet.

Ken

• 1 month later...

To be honest with you I would have figured that Goo Gone would have eaten that paint in a heart beat. Good to know it won't. Thanks for the info.