Food for thought: A different PBJ B-25

SeaDog101

I'm currently in the process of building a humorous PBJ B-25 model diorama as described here:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,32551.0.html

But what I really need help and opinions on is this:

Center fuselage uncertainty for my PBJ B-25

I am very undecided on whether to add white sponge (bread) pieces on the top and bottom of the center fuselage so as to give a better impression of a "whole" sandwich or not. If I do add "bread" pieces to the center fuselage, It means having to work carefully around the cockpit windows, upper gun turret, lower fuselage bomb bay doors, etc., etc.

I've only seen this done once before, and it was a "sub sandwich". The advantage there is that a small scale sub could be put entirely inside a larger sub bun, and the open styling of the bun allow the sub to be easily seen!

If I follow you correctly, and you want to do a similar PBJ, I think I'd opt for a 1/144 scale B-25, with one slice of bread under it (gear is up), and the other to the side (ready to be layed on top), or only partially covering the model. Or, you could use one larger piece with the PBJ on one half side, while the other half of the bread is ready to be folded over onto the top of it. In either case, the main problem is how to incorporate the bread while not inhibiting the viewing of the PBJ.

As for the "bread", there IS a way to permanently preserve real bread in a decorative manner, and would probably be more convincing than adapting a sponge or other material to resemble bread.

Sounds like fun! Best of luck, and please post picks when you get it done.

GIL :smiley16:

If I follow you correctly, and you want to do a similar PBJ, I think I'd opt for a 1/144 scale B-25, with one slice of bread under it (gear is up), and the other to the side (ready to be layed on top), or only partially covering the model. Or, you could use one larger piece with the PBJ on one half side, while the other half of the bread is ready to be folded over onto the top of it. In either case, the main problem is how to incorporate the bread while not inhibiting the viewing of the PBJ.

Too late. I've already built and am using a 1/72 B-25. Also, the B-25 will be modeled in a in-flight display.

As for the "bread", there IS a way to permanently preserve real bread in a decorative manner, and would probably be more convincing than adapting a sponge or other material to resemble bread.

Really? How?

Edited by SeaDog101

Hey Gil. We can really date ourselves with this. I first saw the "Sub Sandwich, the Hero of the Soviet Union" in 1985 at the Nats in Indy.

As I recall the builder used a vinyl type lunch meat food found in a child's play kitchen set.

@Seadog: You could check around the dollar stores or Goodwill and maybe score.