M25 Dragon Wagon + LCM-3

RandyJRay

Kind of going out on a limb, here, as I've tried in several forums and come up with nothing. But here goes...

I'm interested in building the Dragon Wagon hauling a LCM-3, as when they were heading towards (I believe) the Rhine crossing. But I've found next to zero photos of this arrangement, and have no idea how the LCM-3 was tied down to the trailer. I've found a couple of photos in the Dragon Wagon book by Ampersand Publishing, but none of the photos give any hint as to how this was secured to the trailer.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Randy

The LCM wasn't really tied down. They stacked up some 12x12x??? lumber to form a "cradle" on the trailer and a crane set it on the trailer. The weight of the beast kept it in place and they didn't move very fast or over really rough terrain. There might be a couple ropes to keep it tied to the front of the trailer if they backed it into the water, but again many of the shots I saw, unfortunately in photos on a wall, showed the LCMs being put on and taken off by cranes. If that thing decided to fall off, it would be better for the DW crew that it fall free and not turn the DW over also -- no tie downs were going to keep it up.

Try a Google for Dragon Wagon LCM and check the images -- there are a couple from WW2 and a few models that might help you.

Like David says, the Ampersand book on the Dragon Wagon has a good amount of photos of the truck and LCM. Because of the size, there isn't a lot of pictures of the complete truck with boat but there are several close ups of the boat with the wooden cradles and one distance shot of the LCM half out of the water being pulled/lifted onto the trailer.

http://ampersandpubco.com/dragon-wagon/